1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

5.5 miles last night. It has been a long week at work...

2. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

4.5 miles with the dogs, which was kind of brutal after skiing all day yesterday.

3. jbarwick

7.1 miles last night in the rain but I didn't mind. Had a good podcast to listen to and I forgot I was running.

4. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

4.5 miles this afternoon. Temps in the teens but at least it’s sunny.

5. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5.1 miles with the dogs, with temps in the mid 40s and sunny.

6. jbarwick

9.8 miles yesterday. Felt pretty good when done and no soreness today.

7. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

8. metals37

metals37 Senior Member

7 miles this morning in 16*F - it's been taking me time to talk myself into running some of these cold mornings, but I have been making it out

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

Just over 6 miles last night with temps in the low 20s. I pulled out my fleece lined tights and sadly I think I need to buy a new pair. Mine seemed to have shrunk ;) quite a bit since last winter.

I hate buying cold weather running tights - they are so expensive. I can get through the warm weather months and get oodles of running shirts and shorts for $50... that doesn't even make a dent in a good pair of tights though.

10. metals37

metals37 Senior Member

I was going to recommend the Under Armour Cold Gear tights which I have, but a brief look at their website has me thoroughly confused as to what I actually have (they are many years old at this point).....

My biggest issue in the cold is gloves. My fingers get cold quickly and then start to warm up in a hurry. I have not found a glove which gives me warmth and breathability when it's teens or below.

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I've heard good things about almost all the UA gear so maybe I'll give a couple different pairs a try.

For gloves... I've tried actual tech running gloves but none of them seemed particularly warm. What I usually end up doing is wearing a long sleeve shirt that have those thumb holes to pull the cuffs down further and give me a bit extra warmth and then I put a pair of cheap-o cotton garden gloves on over them. They provide more warmth than most of the running gloves I've tried and they aren't too bulky that I cannot take them off and stuff them in a pocket while running when my hands get hot... and if I don't notice that I drop one I'm not out too much money.

On really, really cold days (-10º F and worse) I wear a thin pair of Saucony running gloves with a heavy duty pair of LL Bean ragg wool mittens over them. The mittens are nice because I can flip open the end over the fingers to let my fingers cool down a little bit if it gets too hot.

12. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5 miles with the dogs, with temps in the upper 40s to low 50s; so shorts and t-shirt weather.

13. metals37

metals37 Senior Member

Heat wave! It was 36 on my 6 mile run this morning.

14. jbarwick

3 miles last night then kettle bell work. For gloves, I have this pair of Nike fleece gloves which work for most situations and when it gets colder I put another pair of thicker gloves on top. At some point, more layers seem to keep me warmer regardless of their individuals thickness.

15. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5 miles with the dogs. Light hills, with some tempo pace thrown in. Temps were in the mid 40s.