• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 miles on the open space/hill near home, without the dogs (I took them to the dog park earlier when it was hotter out). Temps were in the upper 70s to low 80s. This was substantially faster than my normal hill runs, so maybe those new shoes (this was the second run in them) are keepers after all...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1635174168

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend posed a challenge to me on Facebook. The challenge is to go from only run training to finishing another half Ironman in two months (IM Boulder 70.3 is on August 8th).

Am I nuts to go for it? Keep in mind that I’ve done full IMs and ultra triathlons in the past.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only 2 months of total training or compete with just run training and the first bike/swim will be during the 70.3?

metals37

Reaction score
A friend posed a challenge to me on Facebook. The challenge is to go from only run training to finishing another half Ironman in two months (IM Boulder 70.3 is on August 8th).

Am I nuts to go for it? Keep in mind that I’ve done full IMs and ultra triathlons in the past.
Zero bike/swim training base at this point? 2 months would be steep for me personally for the swimming, but I could get to the rest of the 69.1 without too many concerns.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 2 months of total training or compete with just run training and the first bike/swim will be during the 70.3?

My first thought was to go in with zero swim or bike. I know I can do the swim, especially if it’s wetsuit-legal. I rode 23 miles on my cyclocross bike on Sunday and felt fine aside from light chafing.

It might be interesting to see how close I can get to a PR on two months training.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How far are you running right now?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Assuming a short taper, that's a bit more than .5 mi/week increase. Seems reasonable to me. PR seems ambitious, but I guess that depends on the conditions leading to your current PR.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming a short taper, that's a bit more than .5 mi/week increase. Seems reasonable to me. PR seems ambitious, but I guess that depends on the conditions leading to your current PR.

My PR was at sealevel (Santa Cruz). I think the bike course here is a bit faster, but the run course might be a bit slower. I usually swim better in freshwater, so Boulder gets the nod.

That said, my PR isn’t crazy fast. I’m fitter for the run now than I was then.

metals37

Reaction score
Tempo run this morning. Warm-up, 5 miles at half-marathon pace, cool-down. Forecast is for hot weather here this weekend, and I'm assuming it's going to be very humid given how much rain we've had. Should make for a fun long run on Saturday morning.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like saying I ran my standard 7 miles gets boring but it is my loop. Tonight should be group run night on the trails though I forgot my shoes. I guess it will come down to how work pans out today.

I doubt I could muster a tempo run metals37. I'd have to really get my mind in gear to decide to run faster. Returning to the trails helped last week as I chased some people who were faster than me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics