1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

It's brutal here at the moment: morning temperatures were around -25ºC (-13ºF) and -35ºC (-31ºF) with windchill, and it's going to be the same tomorrow, and there is a limit to my insanity, so I guess Sunday will be the next time I consider a run.

2. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5.5 miles with the dogs. Shorts and T-shirt weather here in Colorado (temperature was around 50 when I was out running).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

8.2 miles in the mid-day sun. Still cold but suppose to warm up a little tomorrow.

4. Canberraman

Canberraman Well-Known Member

Damn hot here down under. Cut the Sunday long trail run short today (managed 14km). The temperature had hit 90F by 9am. Give me cold weather any day.

5. jbarwick

7 miles tonight. In the 40s so I was back in shorts.

6. shorts17

shorts17 Active Member

what is ur thought on replacing running with skipping rope. I used to run about 5 mils a day (i train Muay Thai) but recently i haven't been able to go for runs and i replaced it with fast skipping rope (135-150 jumps per minute). I know they are completelu different excercises but for cardio purposes rope might even work better for me.

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

5 miles outside in the freezing cold again Saturday morning and then 2 miles on the treadmill today.

I agree. I don't mind throwing down a bunch of extra layers and having to slow down because of the extreme cold, but when it's super hot (and humid) there's only so much you can do. You can only take off so many layers or drink so much water before you cannot do any more. Plus, I sweat like a fiend so that's not fun when the temps are really hot and I'm already drenched after just a mile or two.

I am no fitness expert, but IIRC running (especially when doing more than a few miles at a time) works out your slow twitch muscles and endurance and things like that where skipping rope would work out your fast twitch muscles (or maybe I've flipped fast/slow twitch?) and helps build things like explosiveness and speed.

I know a lot of folks skip rope for a few minutes to get their heart rate up before lifting weights and then maybe again mid work out to keep that rate up. I've tried that but am too uncoordinated and I can feel all the eyes on me at the gym and laughing at me so I'll get on the treadmill and sprint for a mile instead.

Both are good workouts but I don't think one is really a replacement for the other.

For me, I like the quiet and relaxation of going for a long run and that would be hard for me to get from skipping rope.

8. jbarwick

7 miles this evening. Warm enough for just a t-shirt and shorts. Heavy fog all day which made the run fun.

9. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5 miles with my son in the stroller. I really need to figure out the front wheel tracking on that thing, if it's fixable... If not, I'm going to need to exchange it at REI. This was the first time I've tried running with it.

10. FlyingMonkey

Since our ferry is now docking at its winter dock (due to low water levels), I am running to work again: 4km to the ferry then 2km to work from the dock in town. That's only 6km (3 3/4 miles) each way or 12km (7 1/2 miles) return, but 4 days a week - I work one day at home - and it adds up to around 48km (30 miles). Add a longish run on Sunday and we're looking at potentially 60-70km (37-43 1/2 miles) a week. This week for various reasons I've not been running the return leg from the ferry home, so it will be more like 40km (25 miles) in total. The underfoot conditions are not good either - it's got much warmer today so we have ice and slush.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I've been doing walk/runs lately. This morning I did 5.7 miles total, roughly 75/25 walk/run (by time). My app isn't clever enough to figure out separate running and walking paces, but based on what it showed while running, I think 2 miles of the total was running.

Every time I do this, I'm surprised at the kind of overall average pace you can set. At 5 miles, my average was under 12 min/mi. Anyway, I'm out of shape, but this approach lets me run fast enough that I don't get bored to death.

:)

12. FlyingMonkey

Pretty much the same for me this week as my previous message. Despite my pledge to run longer and slower as I age, I have this annoying habit of forgetting to leave enough time to do a really relaxed run to the ferry, and I always end up pushing it a bit more than I'd like (under 5min / km), which in these conditions is actually not easy. I guess it will be better for weight loss and general conditioning. However, despite all this, the run to the ferry still feels a little easier each time, but I am not sure if that's just familiarity...

13. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

I took a week off because I was feeling kind of burned out, and the weather was crap for a few days.

My two runs this week have been shorter, but I’m feeling good. I did 3 on Wednesday night by headlamp and 4 this afternoon. Today, I beat my PR on my favorite Strava segment by 32 seconds (.8 miles on a 4% uphill grade at an 8:30/mile pace.

It was also 68 degrees out there today...