How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I don't know where in Ontario you are, but back when I used to ride frequently (250+ miles a week some 20 years ago mainly to keep up with a girl I liked who loved cycling), we would take our bikes on the ferry across the St. Clair River from Michigan into Southwestern Ontario and ride around Walpole Island and east towards Oil Springs and then either north towards Grand Bend or further east towards Port Stanley on Lake Erie and I was always amazed at how flat and boring and desolate that area of Ontario was. It is like going through the middle of Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron. If I hadn't have had her to look at, the scenery would have been pretty depressing.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I "ran" 3 miles yesterday evening, but had to walk most of the last .75. Lets just say I shouldn't run after a biggish meal.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I suspect that area is far more depressing than where I am, which is up in South-eastern Ontario, near Kingston. Actually, if you're prepared to start off by riding 100km north of where I am, the terrain starts to get more interesting, but the roads aren't - I am still used to Europe, where there is a long historically-evolved system of roads that are fairly organic and of multiple types, so even though it's a densely populated part of the world, there are always quiet roads that go in strange directions over interesting and improbable hills because there used to be a sheep trail there (or something like that), whereas in the combination of settler colonialism and car domination, as in North America, the roads are both much more boring and more dangerous. Really you get a better feel for Canada by canoeing - the canoe routes and portages have been developed by indigenous peoples over thousands of years, but the road network and ridiculous private property system has really damaged many of them in more settled areas.

4. brp2

brp2 Senior member

6.2ish miles today at a decent clip. Posted my fastest 10k time while only semi-trying. Being close to sea level probably helped; trying to beat the jet lag from the trip to Vienna probably didn't.

5. Michigan Planner

My wife and kids are away at the beach for a few days so I decided to go to the gym immediately after work yesterday which is something I don't think I've ever done. I got in two 3-mile runs on the treadmill with some time with the weights in between the two runs.

Generally, if I am at the gym it's before 6:00 a.m. with all the old people. I'm almost 40 and going just after 5:00 p.m. it feels like I'm the old person there!

6. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

I see this a lot with the calorie calculation. Strava being around 25 % over Garmin.

Anyway, 7.5 km in the heat in 41:47. Didn't go too well and I shortened the run because sweat and sunscreen was constantly running into my eyes and I was running more or less blind the last 1.5 km.

7. Michigan Planner

4.5 miles under an 8 minute pace yesterday after work - very fast for me and I am paying for it today. Combined with some back and oblique exercises I did on Wednesday evening (that I never do) and I can barely turn my torso more than a few degrees in either direction.

Maybe I need to work those back and oblique muscles a bit more often...

8. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

23.4 km in 2:03:14 (5:15/km) at night. Didn't go too well, legs felt very tired. New records for 10 km (48:23), 20 km (1:52:04 -- Strava) and half marathon (1:50:28 -- Garmin). Don't ask me why Garmin and Strava count half marathons so differently.

9. brp2

brp2 Senior member

5 miles today. A bit stilted a run as there don't seem to be many great areas in Prague for it. Definitely felt the humidity, which i don't often get; so sweaty.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Stupid injury update: ripped the nail off the big toe on my left foot yesterday while gardening. Now running is very painful. Moral of the story: wear boots for gardening even if it's hot!

Edit: 6.5k today, moderate pace, really just to see if I could. Felt odd but not too painful.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 8:32 PM

11. darkduck

darkduck New Member

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

5 miles Sunday night.

13. Michigan Planner

3 more on the treadmill last night. The weather was perfect for running outside, but I just wanted to go to the gym so I could sit in the steam room afterwards. I made up for it with 7 miles outside this morning.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

6 miles in warm humid weather during a break in this afternoon's thunderstorms.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1101874433

Here's the comparison between Garmin's data and Strava's data. As you can see, Garmin gave me full credit for the last .03 miles, and also gave more realistic figures for elevation gain and calories burned. There was no stopage time during this run, so the elapsed times are equal.

Garmin:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.26.03 PM.png
    Strava:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.26.11 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

2.8 miles last night after a week off. I was in Tahoe enjoying myself and couldn't be bothered to run. I guess I went for a 4 mile hike in Squaw Valley but that was at a very relaxed pace.