• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

hirschlederne

Reaction score
9.1 km at 5:51 pace, taking things very slowly. Picked up some plastic trash from the street.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~4.8 miles or so. Was going for 12 but I was pretty dehydrated from yard work and used my cut off. Played in the ****** pool with my son instead :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 miles this evening, with temps around 80. It still annoys me that Garmin and Strava give me different mileage and pace numbers using the same data... Garmin gave me 5.01 miles in 44:44 while Strava gave me 4.9 miles in 44:59.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't run st all this weekend due to terrible migraine... leaves me at lesst 20km extra to catch up on in the next week or so.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5 miles this evening, with temps around 80. It still annoys me that Garmin and Strava give me different mileage and pace numbers using the same data... Garmin gave me 5.01 miles in 44:44 while Strava gave me 4.9 miles in 44:59.

I know it doesn't really make difference, but that uncertainty bugs me, too.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Strava used to count stops in its total elapsed time but also gives a moving time. I realized this on a longer run but this was maybe 2 years ago so I don't know if they changed it or not.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 miles yesterday morning and then 1 mile today. We finally got a break from the oppressive humidity that we had through most of last week.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Strava used to count stops in its total elapsed time but also gives a moving time. I realized this on a longer run but this was maybe 2 years ago so I don't know if they changed it or not.

The elapsed times for the two are three seconds apart as well. Garmin has it as 45:36, and Strava has it as 45:33. I only stopped the clock briefly when I stopped to water my favorite trailside tree and again at a traffic light for a few seconds. I wonder if the stoppage throws off the numbers more than anything else? Perhaps I'll try not stopping the clock and see what happens. It's not like I'm all that worried about it I just use the per mile numbers on my Garmin to pace myself.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been focusing more on riding than running lately, but after 22 miles on the bike this morning, I got in one mile on the dreadmill in the office gym. It was kinda terrible.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 miles on the track tonight. Wanted to do a fast 5k tonight but there was a big storm passing through. Quick first mile, middling second, and couldn't make it much further because the gusts hitting me out of the first turn were adding 45 sec to my pace, and nearly causing me to trip over my feet on the straight.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just under six miles this morning. I took a detour to the high school track and did a mile's worth of intervals there with sprints, mountain climbers, push-ups, and jumping jacks mixed in.

I've been focusing more on riding than running lately, but after 22 miles on the bike this morning, I got in one mile on the dreadmill in the office gym. It was kinda terrible.

When I was going to spin class at my gym regularly I would always try to do a mile on the treadmill before and after the class. The mile before the class was always fine but I always felt like an ungraceful elephant tromping and plodding along for the mile after the class, even if it wasn't going particularly slow.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was going to spin class at my gym regularly I would always try to do a mile on the treadmill before and after the class. The mile before the class was always fine but I always felt like an ungraceful elephant tromping and plodding along for the mile after the class, even if it wasn't going particularly slow.

That's exactly what you'd expect. Cycling for a reasonable distance or length of time really sets your leg muscles in exactly the wrong way for running. It's one of the things that makes triathlon so hard. I always found that however many bricks (bike + run training sessions) I did, that transition from bike to run never got easy...

Anyway, I won't have to worry about that until next year again, I'm not doing any triathlons this season and even then only one or two local ones. I do a couple of short, fast training rides (one just over 25km and one 52km) each week just so I don't lose the muscle memory. I don't get out on the long rides like I used to now I have a family, plus this part of Ontario is not very interesting for cycling.

Back to running - my usual 10.5km this morning in the usual pace combination. It was humid which is always my least favourite weather for running.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I don't get out on the long rides like I used to now I have a family, plus this part of Ontario is not very interesting for cycling...

I don't know where in Ontario you are, but back when I used to ride frequently (250+ miles a week some 20 years ago mainly to keep up with a girl I liked who loved cycling), we would take our bikes on the ferry across the St. Clair River from Michigan into Southwestern Ontario and ride around Walpole Island and east towards Oil Springs and then either north towards Grand Bend or further east towards Port Stanley on Lake Erie and I was always amazed at how flat and boring and desolate that area of Ontario was. It is like going through the middle of Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron. If I hadn't have had her to look at, the scenery would have been pretty depressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads