• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ugh that sucks man. get well!

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the knee, Beat.

3.5 for me this afternoon, and that put me over 1000 miles for the year. Mission accomplished. The thigh/groin wasn't painful, but I was aware of it the whole time I was running. Now that I've ticked off the year's goal, I'm contemplating staying off the road for the remainder of the year to start fresh and healthy in January. Obviously would get some cardio in on the machines...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.1 miles yesterday for day #15 of the December run streak and 8.2 miles this afternoon for day #16. Today I ran to a local boarding school and around some of the trails there. I would have been better equipped with a pair of snowshoes instead of my running shoes.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FYI, Running warehouse has the Sugoi 180 jacket in medium for $90, normally $150. A light winter (10 - 30 degree) running jacket that is wind resistant. Great piece of equipment.
For reference, I wear a medium at 6", 157 lbs, size 40 jacket.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been looking for another piece of cold-weather running gear. The stuff I have is getting pretty old and well worn. I should be wearing that 180 before the end of the week now.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.4 miles this morning with yet another fresh inch and a half of snow on the ground. I'm seriously considering getting some of those things with spikes to strap to my shoes this winter.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ran in fresh powder but never with things strapped to my feet. Would be interesting to run like that as I bet it engages different muscles.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4.4 miles this morning with yet another fresh inch and a half of snow on the ground. I'm seriously considering getting some of those things with spikes to strap to my shoes this winter.

Heard bad things about the Yaks Trax breaking pretty easily, but that was on trails. Not sure how they would fair on the roads. Last snow we had, I ran with my trail shoes and they worked great. If icy, Salomon and Inov-8 both make studded shoes with some steel and rubber spikes mixed thoughout the bottom. Another idea that is far less expensive and seems to have a big following is taking an older pair of shoes and putting screws into the bottom. They do this a lot on the trails here in the winter.

Here are a couple links:
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm (Matt Carpenter - Pikes Peak record holder)
(Trail Nerds - my trail club)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links @wingin' it. I'm definitely going to be trying the screws in my shoes. I'll be stopping at the hardware store on my way home tomorrow just for this purpose.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a bright green Brooks running vest at Marshall's for $20. I'm going to have to try it out one of these nights. I'm taking this week super easy, as a down week in the cycle. I'll be running moderately long in the morning.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 5.9 miles last night. Was a long day and I was tired so I stopped short of the 8.5 I was aiming for. I am also on an antibiotic which seems to be sapping all of my energy as of late. Pace is way down on runs and at the gym I was worn out pretty quickly with weights.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 miles this morning. I ran earlier because I'm donating plasma at 1:00. They only like me because my plasma is universal..,

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.2 miles today. Almost 60 degrees out right now, but will be in teens this weekend. Nice to run in shorts but the 25 mph winds were tough going uphill.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, 5 miles. It was a balmy 28 degrees! The moon was brilliant as it was shining through wisps of smallish clouds. #one of the many benefits of an early morning run.

I have tried Yax Trax. They do work. But, I cannot stand them when running on (the occasional) stretches of bare pavement. I am looking for a trail shoe with a good grip on the sole. A few years ago, I ran the Newton "all weather" shoe. It was terrific in the snow and ice. They discontinued the model. It might exist under a new name. Now that there is a Newton store in Michigan, I should investigate.

For Michigan Planner, here is a useful link regarding ice spikes and screws: http://news.runtowin.com/2011/12/03/win-a-free-set-of-ice-spikes.html

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 5.9 miles last night. So many outside influences affecting my running currently. Runs aren't as peaceful as they once were where you can focus on your breathing, clear your mind, and enjoy the run. Now I have a few things that are making runs not too enjoyable. Once these things get cleared up I think I can get back to my regularly scheduled enjoyment.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.4 miles today. Last of the nice weather as today was 55 degrees and will start to drop back into the highs in the teens by end of weekend.
Pretty excited that my new McMillan plan was emailed to me. Start training for an April 100K after next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads