• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't get a run in yesterday because it was super windy and looked like it could turn into a miserable rainy run.  

Same problem here this morning. I wanted to run but we were having 50+ mph gusts and light rain. I don't mind running in the rain, but not in a driving, stinging rain like that. It's supposed to start calming down now though and I'm hoping to get in a few miles after work.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually like running in the ridiculous weather conditions. I don't think I'd want to do it regularly, but as a child of the midwest, I like to get out into it on the rare occasions of actual weather here in San Francisco.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually like running in the ridiculous weather conditions. I don't think I'd want to do it regularly, but as a child of the midwest, I like to get out into it on the rare occasions of actual weather here in San Francisco.

Same thing here... I grew up in San Jose. We just don't get crazy weather often, but I love running in it (cycling, not so much).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished 4... Fastest mile in the 7:25 range. I'm getting faster again!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 6 miles last night with my new headlamp on the neighborhood streets. I got the Princeton Remix someone mentioned and it is pretty good for the price. Felt a lot more secure running on sidewalks and road side where I usually slow down a lot in the shadows.

Today is suppose to be beautiful and in the 40s so looking to hit some trails unless my fiancee finds a reason I need to be around the house all day.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 in the Baylands. Gorgeous day in NorCal!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was able to get 9.75 miles in on the trails. Calves started cramping a little and need to get some body glide....

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got back into running about six weeks ago. Started back into the swing of things doing 5 miles a day about 6-7 days a week (one day off occasionally for elliptical), moved to 6.21 miles for a couple weeks, and the past week I've been doing about 7 miles a day. It feels really great.

I used to use preplanned fitness apps that capped my runs at around 4 miles, and I'd eventually get bored. Now I'm free-running (but tracking it) and mixing things up via trails, paces, and setting.

I also became serious about stretching and went from about 1 minute of pre- and post-workout stretching to about 5 minutes pre and post. 10 minutes is probably short, but I get bored with stretching although I notice I have much less pain now despite pushing the mileage.

One thing I noticed is I've gained about 6-7 pounds in the process, which seemed counterintuitive to me. In the past, my usual workout regimen was 30-40 minutes on a random cardio machine 7 days a week. The biggest difference putting in more miles has been a feeling of tremendous hunger which lasts almost throughout my entire day. I snack on fruit a lot, which is the only thing that seems to abate it. I guess I need to carb it up more pre or immediately post longer runs.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dreaded hunger from increased running. I assume this is the reason why a lot of people who start running gain some weight. I use 100 calories burned per mile and while this is not scientific, it is something to use for estimating when your appetite increases. At least you are snacking on fruit.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Started back into the swing of things doing 5 miles a day about 6-7 days a week (one day off occasionally for elliptical), moved to 6.21 miles for a couple weeks, and the past week I've been doing about 7 miles a day. It feels really great.

One thing I noticed is I've gained about 6-7 pounds in the process, which seemed counterintuitive to me. In the past, my usual workout regimen was 30-40 minutes on a random cardio machine 7 days a week. The biggest difference putting in more miles has been a feeling of tremendous hunger which lasts almost throughout my entire day. I snack on fruit a lot, which is the only thing that seems to abate it. I guess I need to carb it up more pre or immediately post longer runs.

I'm guessing most of it may be from water weight gain if you are hydrating more than you used to both during and after the run. The extra fruit is most likely water weight as well as plain water. Nothing wrong with that. If you are running 40ish miles per week, you would have to eat one hell of a lot of food or a lot of fat/garbage food (McDonalds every night for example) to gain 6-7 lbs. You are burning off roughly 4000 extra calories per week and ramping up metabolism. Eat breakfast and more often all day, you'll level out.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 6 miles this even and for the 2nd Sunday in a row a guy on my route has this satellite truck with the satellite raised parked in his driveway. It is a nicer house and I have not clue who lives there but wonder why on earth you would need a truck like that two weeks in a row.

Got in a solid weekend of running with 22 miles from Friday evening through tonight. Felt really good other than the cramping yesterday towards the end.

Also watched the NYC marathon today. Felt bad for Deba leading all the way to the end before getting passed. Running first without splits being communicated to you would be rough when the persuer can see the cars and such in from of you.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
26.2 yesterday through the streets of NYC. Definitely did not go according to plan.

I had both my Garmin and my phone Nike+ app going, and both were initially accurate, but then seemed to have difficulty keeping a steady lock on my pace. At times they differed by more than a minute per mile (about 30s in opposite directions) and it was really difficult to be confident that I was maintaining a good pace. I ultimately started using my heart rate as the arbiter. Running on the lower deck of the Queensboro Bridge was the final straw for my devices. The app went to about .5 mile optimistic and the Garmin to .2 mile pessimistic.

During mile 6, my right knee started to hurt; surprising because I haven't had any knee pain in forever, and certainly not after six miles. It stayed at a minor level, though, and I was able to ignore it. At mile 17, though, my right calf cramped up. I don't think I've ever had this happen in nearly five years of running. This dropped my pace by about a minute, but I kept at it and even felt it subside somewhat around 20 and had hope that I could at least get back on track to finish under 4 hours. That hope lasted about a mile. The cramp was joined by pain in my right foot, and I dropped to around 11 minute miles for 22 and 23. In the 23rd mile, I started to walk some, and then run again, but that soon became just walking. Mile 24 took about 15 minutes, followed by 18 minutes for 25 as my walk became more of a hobble, and then 19+ for the final mile. I couldn't even jog across the finish line. My time ended up about 117% of my target.

I would sum it up in one word: Humbling.

Positives: I finished! I met my fundraising goal for the charity. I got to see some good friends and a friend I hadn't seen since college.

The people of NYC are pretty amazing.

PS: When I crossed the finish line, the Garmin had apparently gotten back on track, and read 26.22 miles. :fu:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics