• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
4. Everything was a bit tender for the first mile or so after Sunday's 16, but I am pleased to report that I generally feel better than I did before I went out.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ClarinetPlayer - A couple of us in our office are running the Crim and we have a co-worker who until just recently lived in Flint. He isn't running but he always takes his family out to watch the event and was telling us to run fast to avoid gangs and violence. Then this morning he sent us an email with an article from the Flint Journal with tips for the Crim:Crim running tips for before, during and after the race.

But he added a paragraph at the bottom right before where it says "Other than that, have fun. And finish." His added text:
He managed to work it into the article flawlessly, and if you didn't click through to the actual article you would think that maybe it's a bit extreme but it still looks legit.

I usually pick up on these jokes right away but had to admit that he had me going, although I just shrugged it off and figured there are enough runners and I'll be with the big herds enough that I would be unharmed (plus I've run and biked through some pretty hairy areas of Detroit and Highland Park... how bad can Flint really be?). However, one of my co-workers who is projecting closer to a 2-hour finish was literally freaking out.

A bit of local running humor I guess.

I never spot a joke until it's way too late. A year ago, on April 1st, there was a spoof article about Blimpy Burgers in AA being turned into a French restaurant. I did not catch on until I had finished the article. Of course, now, in reality, Blimpy's will be gone in a few months as the University has purchased their property.

The Crim race route goes through very interesting neighborhoods from historic to wealthy that would rival Bloomfield Hills. The atmosphere is friendly and fun. And, it is fun running on the "bricks". I have never heard of or seen any problems.

It is supposed to cool down, again, by Saturday. I would think that the temperature around 8 a.m. will be in the low 60s. Perfect!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only 2 miles this morning, but I did a bunch of sprint intervals so I was dead by the end. I walked for a full 2 minutes in the middle of the run, and even with that super slow part I still managed to keep my overall pace at 8:37, which is pretty fast for me.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much, still slowly building up, but I ran again. 622 Nike Fuel :eek:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well,well! The Crim Race (Flint MI) is going all technological, this year. Oh, the "Bradley's". :)

This is new: KING AND QUEEN OF THE HILLS CHALLENGE!!!
10 Mile and 8K Participants:
How fast can you run or walk the Bradley’s?
This
year you can find out, thanks to the King and
Queen of the Hills Challenge, presented by Patsy
Lou. Be sure to run over the timing mats at the
beginning and end of Bradley Street and then
find out how fast you ran them in the online results
page.

And this:

Get Your Finish Time Instantly
thanks to support
from Plante Moran:
Once you cross the finish line, use a smartphone to
scan the QR code on your bib and get your
personal race result on the spot! Complete particip
ant results will be
available online at www.crim.org.
Let your fans follow you with text updates
, presented by UAW
Region 1-C: Your friends and family can track your
progress
along the 10 Mile course by signing up for text alerts.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool about the "King of the Hill". That sort of reminds me of the "Underwater Mile" in the Free Press Marathon where they have the timing mats at the entrance and exit to the tunnel.

Last year the Brooksie Way started using a text service that you could automatically send out your finish time to whatever numbers you put in to the system. I added in all my running friends numbers (whether they were running that race or not) just to harass them.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11.4 miles in 91 degrees starting temp and finishing at 86 degrees. Yasso 800's tonite with warm up and cool down.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was planning about 8 miles today and decided to switch things up and run most of it at the high school track down the street. I ended up doing about 6.5 miles on the track... 6.5 of the most boring miles of my life. I don't know why I thought that running on the track for that long sounded like an interesting idea. After a few laps I began stopping every half mile to do 20 push-ups. It was about all I could do to break up the monotony.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 8.19km this morning.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went out this morning with an idea that I would do 5 miles or 45 minutes, whichever came first. Finished my 5th mile with 15 seconds to spare :)

Felt good, it was the first time I ran 5 miles and kept my pace under 9:00

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the first time three runs(/walks) in a week, SB. (And two swimming sessions.) And five months non-smoking today. That's 2766 cigarettes not smoked and 853 euro's saved. :)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was planning about 8 miles today and decided to switch things up and run most of it at the high school track down the street. I ended up doing about 6.5 miles on the track... 6.5 of the most boring miles of my life. I don't know why I thought that running on the track for that long sounded like an interesting idea. After a few laps I began stopping every half mile to do 20 push-ups. It was about all I could do to break up the monotony.

It's one step above running on a treadmill. Unless you're doing intervals, zzzzzzzzzzz

For the first time three runs(/walks) in a week, SB. (And two swimming sessions.) And five months non-smoking today. That's 2766 cigarettes not smoked and 853 euro's saved. :)

Attaboy!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's one step above running on a treadmill. Unless you're doing intervals, zzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, generally if I go to the track it's for some sort of intervals. And now I know why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads