• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early this morning, eager for a good run, I stepped out of the door only to be greeted by thunder and lightening and a torrential rainfall. Argh!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Early this morning, eager for a good run, I stepped out of the door only to be greeted by thunder and lightening and a torrential rainfall. Argh!

I got up and out for a quick 4.5 miles this morning at about 5:30. After I got home and showered, I was sitting at kitchen counter eating some breakfast looking out the window and it was dark as if it were still the middle of the night. I went outside to get something from the porch and saw a giant wall of black clouds rolling in. When I was driving to work the skies finally opened up and the rain came down in sheets and buckets... for about 2 minutes then the sun was trying to come out again.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've added a yoga class as the cross-training in my program. I think the extra effort on a sixth day may have pushed me over the line in terms of fatigue. Trying to get more sleep, but I'm always tired.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles tonite w/ 5 of them at tempo pace. Hot and humid run.

SB - be careful w/ adding not only an extra day of running but more mileage and faster pacing. Easy way to get into overtraining issues. Read about symptoms. I still stick w/ 2 off days / week and do core work on those days. I tried the only 1 day off thing for a race ramp up plan one time and it hurt more than helped. I can handle more mileage w/ less days (50 miles / 5 day) vs same mileage with more days (50 miles / 6 days). Some people have no problem with it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm running five days with the yoga as cross-training/core on the sixth day. May be moot, though, since I think I've strained something in my groin this week. Ouch.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stayed up late last night to watch the Tigers beat the Indians in 14 innings but still managed to drag myself out of bed at 5:00 for a 10 mile run. In the middle of the run I did three 1.5 mile strides at about a 7:15 pace and then a 4th stride at 6:51 pace. I cannot recall the last time I had a mile under 7:00 minutes. I don't recall running that fast but looking at the route I ran, that stretch seems to be a nice steady decline that I am usually headed the other way on.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third run(/walk) today, with new "sound system" :)

iTueFJs.jpg

HUr7FKK.jpg

(Sorry, I like gadgets. These things are essential though, of course!)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever it takes to keep you going back out there, NOBD!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx, SB. I really enjoy running! I just hope my leg muscles allow me to keep doing this.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 5 miles on the hotel treadmill and almost broke my face. Towards the end of the run I bumped my pace up to 8'00" and at that point the treadmill decided it was tired and needed to come to a complete halt during the fastest portion of my run. Luckily I was able to stay on my feet...this is why I hate treadmills.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I thought you were joking until I looked it up... clearly I don't speak Swedish. :embar: Going out to run now... should be at least few miles for sure.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I thought you were joking until I looked it up... clearly I don't speak Swedish.

It's a workout that originated in Mexico / Central America. Eat lots of beans prior to running, then go out slow and speed up over the miles. The fartlek portion of the workout then takes over and moves you in ways that help you endure discomfort on long runs and prepare for ultras.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a workout that originated in Mexico / Central America. Eat lots of beans prior to running, then go out slow and speed up over the miles. The fartlek portion of the workout then takes over and moves you in ways that help you endure discomfort on long runs and prepare for ultras.

hmmm.... that is certainly interesting. I read that it is a Swedish word... you are kidding about the beans right?

btw... did about 3 miles today getting back into it after a busy week of interviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads