1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Easy 3 this morning before another day of travel. Every time I run someplace with heat and/or humidity, I am grateful to live in SF.

2. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

4.5 miles today. Last run prior to race.

3. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Tks
    Thanks Jbarwick. They shuffled race to bridle trails and off the mtn bike single track. Should be a mudfest.
    I ran Dances w dirt a year ago and at mile 30 there was a few people helping a lady get to an ambulance after she tripped and landed face first on a downhill w rocks. She was unconscious for a bit and pretty bloody.

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Lets see....5.5 miles last night on the trails. Hot and humid. 1.25 miles this morning before weights. Also signed up for a trail half marathon in October. I figure I will keep things on the shorter end of the scale until after the CPA test is over with. Seems like a good race with 2700' of climb.

5. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Tapered a bit this week and got in a couple 5-6 mile runs. I didn't get into the SB 100k (which is probably for the best) so planning to crew and pace a friend who's running the 100m. Starts tonight at 6. Should be a good time.

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I was hitting 24-30 miles a week but my hip has been bothering me the past few week causing slower runs and more painful day to day movements. I asked my experienced running friend what the issue may be and it's looking like IT band according to his analysis...ugh I already have issues with the IT band on my right leg but that's closer to my knee.

Anyone else with IT band issues or hip issues ? I'm dreading the foam roller but it's looking inevitable if I want to keep running at the distance and clip I have been. This is pretty much right around the socket. It's not close enough to the front to be hip flexor and it's not close enough to the back to be bursa imo

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I would just throw some hip mobility stretches into your routine. Increasing mileage will cause things to creep up so adding some preventative items to your routine will help. I try to foam roll at least weekly and if something seems more painful than usual, I will roll more often.

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yea I hate the foam roller and stretching in general. That's why I never excelled with track in high school. I just wanted to show up and run. And be kid I asked for help figuring out what my issue was an all American...

9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

4.8 miles this morning. And I foam roll before every run, no matter how long or short. It really helps me to warm up and get my muscles and joints ready to go. I don't like the way it feels to start a run without foam rolling first, since I've gotten so used to it.

10. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

About 33 miles on a brutal muddy trail today for a 50k race. Race report to follow in a couple days.

3 people like this.
  11. sugarbutch

Quick 2.4 this morning in Olympia, WA.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Got in 12.25 miles on some new trails today. Ran with a guy that comes out to the Thursday evening runs so it was good to share the time with someone while working hard. I think the pace ended up being like 10:25 min per mile.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Very slow 7 miles today with 140 walking lunges and 70 push-ups. I need to start getting up earlier on Sundays because it's already too hot and humid at 7:30 when I start my run.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

6.6 miles today in the heat index of 100*+. I should have stayed home as it was a slow shuffle most of the time.

15. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

60 hours without sleep race report (sorry for length and grammar)

tldr; DNFd at mile 43 of the SB100k. Met Dean Karnazes. Great guy. Tarantula Hawks are serious business. Hated the course and doubt I'll return.

Spent the weekend up in Santa Barbara at the SB100 race. I didn't get into the race but was allowed late entry on race day. I credit this to a very poor showing compared to most ultra races in the region (less than 90 racers total when most other races get multiple hundreds)

The 100m kicked off Friday night at 6pm with the 100k starting at 7 the following morning. Crewed my friend through the night then returned to starting line for my event so was operating on no sleep. This didn't much matter once I got a few miles under my belt. Felt great through the first 27 miles and into the brutal 3 mile, 3500' climb that ends at the 100k turnaround. It was hot and exposed and I ran out of water with about 1.5 miles to go and really struggle to rehydrate once I reached the top.

After 20-30 minutes cooling down and rehydrating, I headed back the way I came and ran into other runners in worse shape than I was (out of water grinding to the top). I gave up some water to help them out thinking I didn't need as much since I was headed mostly downhill... Turned out to be a huge mistake as I ran out of water and it was much hotter. I walked for about 2 hours with no water or gel before finally reaching the aid station. I was in pretty bad shape.. Dizzy, couldn't think, and dry heaving. Tried to get some water in me but kept vomiting it up. Started shivering really badly even though it was still fairly warm. Aid stations had no ems (first aid kit only) so I laid down in the sun for a bit and slowly fed and drank until I started to recover. Started feeling a little better but worried about the cutoff (I was told that 100k cutoff was 1am and not 6am) so I decided to head out and recover on the road. The next section was mostly downhill and short so was a good chance to try and bank some miles. Was feeling worse when I arrived at the next aid station and decided to call it... Though that pushing too hard here could have put me in danger and the next section kicked off with a pretty steep climb.

As for the race... I don't think I'll ever do it again... It was hard for all the wrong reasons. The course profile was pretty standard fare but many of the trails are (intentionally) unmaintained and overgrown with poison oak and various other nasty weeds so you spend a lot of time bushwacking though hot dry valleys. On top of that, the course was poorly marked leading many people (myself included) to get lost multiple times. My buddy covered an extra 10 miles after missing a marker.

I believe the finishing rate this year was somewhere around 35% - 40% and most of those took al let the entire 23/36 hour allotment.

Some highlights: Dean Karnazes was there and as friendly and charming as you would hope. He finished the 100m in about 34 hours and was privy to my dehydration situation. Despite having his own struggles, he was very supportive and friendly and always had a smile on his face. He persevered in all the ways I could not... Really says something about him I think. His daughter paced him for a bit and she was equally charming and a solid runner in her own right.

Saw a tarantula hawk take out a tarantula the size of my fist and drag it about 20 yards up a hill and across a parking lot... Some amazing nature right there.

Despite the DNF, I'm looking forward to my next race. I felt really strong though the first 50k or so and had it not been for poor hydration planning on my part, I think I would have had a good showing.

3 people like this.
  16. double00

double00 Senior member

^^^

well, i'll follow that: i did 3 and change this afternoon. all flat asphalt.

17. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

I have a broken hand due to stupidity, so time to get back on the predominantly running routine. Did 2.5 miles barefoot on the beach today. Loving the added workout provided by the give in the sand.

18. sugarbutch

19. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Tough race Blah. Crewing all night and then hitting a tough 100K might not be the way to go next time. Hard enough distance without the extra issues.

My own race report from last Saturday: Ran a 50K that I had planned to break 6 hours and have a good race. My old course and trail area. Way too much rain leading up to the race moved the course to all bridle trails and also added .8 miles to each loop to put each loop at just over 11 miles. To add to the beat up course, it also rained hard the day before and the night of the race.

The first 2-2.5 miles were almost non-runnable w/ mud at 6-8 inches in many places. Over the next 6-7 miles were places that were between walking, jogging, and runnable. The last 2 miles were a combination of deeper mud, hills w/ mud, and joggable places.

Temps rose to 91 during the day. Mud, heat, humidity all made for a brutal day. The normal winning time is around 4 hours, several under 5 hours, and many runners under 6 hours.

Stats from this race:
    3 runners broke 7 hours. None broke 6 hours.
    At a 9 hour course time limit, 17% finished. 83% DNF.
    11 people finished the race (I was #11). 8 came in past cut off time, 44 dropped out.

The race was the toughest 50K I've ever ran. I considered dropping but didn't. I placed 11th and #9 and #10 passed me w/ a mile to go by walking past me on a hill. I had no answer and the cramps in my calves, quads, and hamstrings wouldn't let me even jog. Calves are still sore 3 days later. Earned my finishers medal w/ this one.

2 people like this.
  20. sugarbutch

Congrats on the finish, wingin' it. Well earned medal, indeed.

We were in Portland for a couple of days. Ran 4.3 yesterday morning. Planned to run the loop by the river and over the bridges, but one of the pedestrian bridges was closed.