How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Thats some determination on her face. Sweet action pic.

+1, that's terrific.

3. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

5k race this morning in 17:34. It was oppresively hot and humid here, even at 8am, plus i went out way too fast for the first mile, and it made the last mile+ a struggle... i'm glad i didnt just stop and walk at some point because i was really thinking about it.

Your times are pretty similar to mine. Good, but not amazing. How do you place in your races? I always try and enter races that involve things in addition to running (like mud runs etc.) so I have a chance of winning. But 5k etc. are so much more abundant I may just start entering those, I just don't like running knowing some 120lb guy is gunna punk me.

4. stevenmai

stevenmai New Member

i usually run 2 miles interval training on the treadmill when i do cardio for fatburn.

5. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

Your times are pretty similar to mine. Good, but not amazing. How do you place in your races? I always try and enter races that involve things in addition to running (like mud runs etc.) so I have a chance of winning. But 5k etc. are so much more abundant I may just start entering those, I just don't like running knowing some 120lb guy is gunna punk me.

i actually win/place top 3 in a decent number of small local races, just depends on who shows up at that particular race. The one yesterday i finished 5th, and had a women finish ahead of me for the first time ever! (which i always want to see happen, i want to see more fast women at races!) At some of the bigger races where more of the better runners in the area show up then maybe im in the top 15 or 20... i think the lowest ive placed in a race is 28th.
    Last fall i was getting pretty fast and was consistently running near 16:30 5k's and PR'ed at 15:59, but then i ran a marathon and then had an injury while training for another marathon so im not in that kind of shape right now... now i wish i would have just passed on the marathon and tried to keep improving at shorter distances.

I try to enter a fair number of races (anything from 5k to 1/2 marathon, whatever's going on that weekend) throughout the year because i enjoy them and it makes me push myself more than i would in training. If you like running then you should just do them and not worry about what place you might finish.

6. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

i actually win/place top 3 in a decent number of small local races, just depends on who shows up at that particular race. The one yesterday i finished 5th, and had a women finish ahead of me for the first time ever! (which i always want to see happen, i want to see more fast women at races!) At some of the bigger races where more of the better runners in the area show up then maybe im in the top 15 or 20... i think the lowest ive placed in a race is 28th.
    Last fall i was getting pretty fast and was consistently running near 16:30 5k's and PR'ed at 15:59, but then i ran a marathon and then had an injury while training for another marathon so im not in that kind of shape right now... now i wish i would have just passed on the marathon and tried to keep improving at shorter distances.

I try to enter a fair number of races (anything from 5k to 1/2 marathon, whatever's going on that weekend) throughout the year because i enjoy them and it makes me push myself more than i would in training. If you like running then you should just do them and not worry about what place you might finish.

Maybe we aren't quite the same, my 5K PR is just under 17. Your time is pretty darn impressive. But yea, I should start entering some races.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Damn, that's great. I ran a 16:30 in HS and have been trying for about 8 months to get back to that place. 16:30 was really great, IMO. I never lost a single race my sophomore year until I got to semi-state, and there I got crushed. The person who got first at semi-state when I ran there ran a freakin 15:38. It was just unbelievable. I usually got out very quickly, got ahead of the pack, paced myself, and had a great finish. That day, after 200m, the guy in first place was already out of my sight. It was just ridiculous.

I also ran against a kid who ran a sub-15:45 at this race:
    Best for Spectators: New Prairie Invitational
    As any running fan knows, being a spectator is often a sport in itself. Chasing runners over a course of creek beds and cornfields, steep hills and dense, wooded trails, spectators at the New Prairie Invitational in Northwest Indiana should have an awards ceremony just for spotting their runner in the crowd. According to running enthusiast Hal Higdon, the New Prairie Invitational is a “great cross-country course—great for runners, great for spectators.” With an estimated 3,000 spectators coming out to view the race, that must be true.

It was truly amazing to watch.

Anyway, enough reliving old memories. Jwied, are you trying to get back to that position, or are you just enjoying the ride?

8. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

Maybe we aren't quite the same, my 5K PR is just under 17. Your time is pretty darn impressive. But yea, I should start entering some races.

Under 17 is really good. Really anything around 17:30 is competitive at alot of the small local races, at least around here.
    my PR was only like 16'56 til last fall.. i had put in alot of miles over the summer then i just started PRing pretty much every time i raced.

Kwilk, i'd like to be running 5ks in close to 16 or 16'30 again sometime, but i also
    think 17:30 is still pretty good so i'm not in a huge rush to get there.
    Did you keep running after HS, or did you stop for a time and pick it back up and do you ever run any races now?
    I didnt run in school, but now i wish i would have.

9. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Under 17 is really good. Really anything around 17:30 is competitive at alot of the small local races, at least around here.
    my PR was only like 16'56 til last fall.. i had put in alot of miles over the summer then i just started PRing pretty much every time i raced.

Kwilk, i'd like to be running 5ks in close to 16 or 16'30 again sometime, but i also
    Did you keep running after HS, or did you stop for a time and pick it back up and do you ever run any races now?

I'm a goober though. I never actually competed in running so jumping into races with the understanding I have no shot at winning is odd transition for me - competition wise. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but I may try and begin the Exterra Trail Series.

Kwilk, if you followed the prep stuff recently you may know this kid
    :http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...&ATCLID=653501

He was a junior when I was a Senior, kinda crazy (as in 13:50 5K crazy). My buddy who's PR is 15:16 and runs collegiately now would constantly get smoked by him.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

No, after my sophomore year I bulked up a lot, which helped in basketball, but dropped my 5k time down to the just barely sub-18, which isn't competitive at all, especially in Indiana. After that, I went from bulking up to ballooning up and gained a lot of weight until about a year ago when I started running again. I did my firsk 5k in 5 years in April, and it was fun. I'm hoping to get back into the racing scene.
    Kwilk, if you followed the prep stuff recently you may know this kid
    :http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...&ATCLID=653501

He was a junior when I was a Senior, kinda crazy (as in 13:50 5K crazy). My buddy who's PR is 15:16 and runs collegiately now would constantly get smoked by him.

I'd heard the name, but never seen his biography. Man, beating Pre's record is crazy. And doing it at UO just seems fitting.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Distance day today, but I plan on having 6 running days this week, so I toned it back to 8 mi.

12. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Day off [​IMG] ... Rock climbing instead.

Gunna test the 5K PR soon.

13. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

tested that 5k, slightly under 100% effort.

result 17:29. Not what I would have liked, but I'll take it.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Only 5 miles this morning. I will spend the next week running every morning on the beach. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [​IMG]

15. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

last night - 6 mile progression run: miles splits - 6'31, 6'28, 6'23, 6'18, 6'02, 5'56

tonight - 8 miles