1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.2 mile trail run tonite. In Milwaukee and got out on a portion of the Ice Age Trail.
    Congrats MP on the MCM and getting back out. Make sure you give yourself some easy slow runs to recover.
    Welcome Revis.

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Got out this morning for maybe 1.5 miles and my knee felt fine. Lots of stretching and ice have helped and I am keeping the mileage low to see how it does. Plus I don't want to be 4 miles from my house on an achy knee and have to walk the whole way.

3. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

I should have mentioned i'm not a couch potato. I get a ton of exercise through sports, i just have not gone on many distance runs.
    Do you still think something like this couch to 5k would apply?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Well those plans are to get people from no activity to running a 5K so you could probably just look up a basic 5K plan then. Just listen to your body and stop if some pain develops when running even if in the middle of a shorter run. As many of us will note, running injuries will come even when it is nothing out of the ordinary about our training.

5. RevisIsland

Yup, thanks. I tend to find running downhill to cause discomfort so I'm trying to find more level routes this time around. Goal is 2-3 runs a week - 3 milers or so. I think i'm going to keep my runs under 7-8 miles in the long term.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

5.5 moderately hilly miles at a 9:10 pace this afternoon, with a bit of tempo thrown into the mix...

[​IMG]

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

6.2 after work today in 55 minutes flat.

8. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.4 miles tonite. Just under 1500 for year w/ the end of Oct here.

1 person likes this.
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

What happened to your avvy, wingin' it?

10. RevisIsland

11. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

First run in about three months, more a run/walk on the treadmill for a half hour and my left knee didn't explode, a good sign.

12. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Around 9.5 miles on trails this a.m. 25 degrees and about an inch of snow. Last day before DST (worst day of the year). Running in the dark during weekdays now.

No sure where the avi went. Seems to have disappeared from where it used to be on my computer. Here's a new one.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

10 miles today on soggy trails (first two miles in the rain). Nice temps in the mid 50s.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Wonder how SB did with NYC today?

Also stopped by my local running shop to see what's up. Been hard to get there with work and only ever buying my shoes online. I was looking at knee braces and a SA asked what I was looking for. I told him my knee issues and he told me to come sit down and he would show me how to use a "Stick" to help massage muscles. Turns out my knee issue is common with ultras (PFPS) with lots of climbing and decent. He massaged my leg for a second, said my quad is really tight, and it should only take a week of using the stick/foam roller to relieve the pain.

So far the stick is addicting to use. I can really tell one of my legs is a lot tighter than the other and hopefully with 3x use for just 5 min a day should do wonders.

Hope everyone had a safe weekend of running and activities!

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Last race of the season today. A 10k in near zero degrees C and an evil north wind. I have hardly been running at all recently, so 41.19 and 15th (3rd in my age group) was about what I deserved. I should be running well under 40. I was really only taking part to make sure I secured my 2nd place in the club's final age-group standings (40-49) and 8th place overall. Which I did. Now I have to make some decisions about what I'm doing next year (more triathlon or not? go for a full marathon or not? etc.) and get going on my winter training routine before I sink into total laziness. And it's only 2 months until our first run of next season, the 'Resolution Run' on January 3rd...

1 person likes this.
  16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

10.2 miles this morning in 40 degree weather. Not too cold compared to what some others here are used to, but I was literally running in high 60s to low 70s temps every day up until today. It felt really cold for the first mile or so, but once my body warmed up I felt fine, and I ended up having one of my fastest runs ever at this distance.

17. sugarbutch

26.2 today. As to be expected, the fitness just wasn't there, so I ended up walking quite a bit. Still, I enjoyed myself much more this year than last despite finishing more than 90 minutes slower. Plus my family was here this time! The crowd support for NYC is truly amazing. Such a great city with fantastic people.

3 people like this.
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ Wow congrats. Gotta be cold up there though! Damn, I'm chilly in LA today.

1 person likes this.
  19. sugarbutch

The temps were in the 40s, so not bad at all for running. What was nuts was the wind. I was nearly blown off my feet a couple of times.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  20. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

4.4 Sunday.
    Congrats on finishing NYC SB. Was cool to see it broadcast on tv.

1 person likes this.