1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm pretty damn short too (5' 5"), but it's my upper body that's proportionally shorter, so I guess I have the slight advantage in terms of speed there. It's going uphill where I do particularly well, mountains especially, but unfortunately I live in Ontario where there are barely any hills let alone any mountains. My wife is almost ideologically opposed to sport so no chance of her taking up running!

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

3.5 yesterday after work. I was set to get up early and go before work like I usually do, but it looked like a monsoon outside so I decided to wait. I went after work and it was super hot and humid, and my run definitely suffered. It reminded me why I always to to get up and go as early as possible.

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

7.7 miles in some very thick fog early this morning - in some points it was thick enough that I couldn't see the curb on the opposite side of the street from me. Things can get a bit eerie when you're running through hilly wooded areas before 5:30 a.m. in fog like that. Sounds really bounce around the fog and change quite a bit and keep you guessing.

1 person likes this.
  4. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

5.5 miles in St. George NB earlier this week and 8 miles yesterday back at home, done w/ vacation. Was able to get about 30 miles in while on va. Made up for the several lbs of lobster.

A really nice city to visit and the food scene is awesome. Very nice restaurants and pubs. Stayed at Radisson downtown by shorefront and was right in the middle of a lot of things to do and places to go. A few things that surprised me about Halifax: Quite a few Irish pubs, almost no accent, very little bourbon or whiskey in taverns/restaurants but a lot of scotch and rum (some very good hard to find rum), an extremely friendly city, and the amount of good food in close proximity to each other for a small city. I'd go back again and will probably fly straight there.

FWIW, if you plan to run, the shorefront is a nice run and you can make it to a park to add more miles. Otherwise, you will run hills in the city. No way around them. BIG hills. Some short and steep, others long and steep, but hills everywhere. If you trained and lived there, you could run anywhere w/ the exception of altitude.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

31 miles in 5:45. My first 50K went well though the last 10 miles were rough due to my lack of training. I was tracking miles on my watch and watching overall time and it looked like I was not going to hit even my slow goal time. When we hit the last aid station there were only 4.1 miles left with enough time to hit my initial goal...my watch did not pick up a couple of miles at some point. It tough and fun and I am debating on doing another. I will give it a rest and see.

3 people like this.
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Congratulations, jb! Quite an accomplishment.

18 for me yesterday, and I have a 12k coming up in three hours today.

1 person likes this.
  7. sugarbutch

12k went better than expected. I thought I'd be doing well to maintain my marathon race pace. The first couple of miles were a bit challenging after yesterday's 18, but I was able to hit the hill at Fort Mason pretty hard, both up and down. Felt good after 4, so I figured I'd push a little bit, and ended up with negative splits for the rest of the race. Not a PR or anything, but very satisfying in context.

1 person likes this.
  8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

4.5 on Friday and 7 this morning. I've been working on running hills more often so I'm definitely starting to see improvements pretty quickly.

1 person likes this.
  9. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10.6 miles today.
    Congrats JB on the 50K finish and breaking 6 hrs. It's tough not to do another one. They are all different, challenging, and fulfilling.
    WTG SB. 12K is an odd distance but a pretty good race after 18 miles the day before.

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

It is an odd distance, but there are at least four races here in SF at that distance: Bay To Breakers, Bridge To Bridge, and the two Angel Island races. I guess we have to be different... :)

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Beatle - Hill training makes flat land fun since you can go faster!

SB - Negative splits are always a good boost in race or training. Something about being able to push harder on the 2nd half is reassuring.

1 person likes this.
  12. Michigan Planner

JB - Congrats on the 50k finish! The first time I attempted a 50k my buddy and I quit halfway through out of boredom and went to the bar. The second time I tried one I wanted to quit out of boredom again but toughed it out and went off course for a few miles to mix things up (it was a very informal 50k). My third 50k was where I was finally able to finish without considering dropping out. It took audiobooks to make it tolerable. I think if I ever run another one, it will have to be somewhere entirely new to me so that at least the route is novel and interesting.

I did 10 miles on Saturday morning in a steady rain, but besides not wearing a shell, it was pretty pleasant. I got in another 6.8 miles this morning.

13. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

Ran Gretes Great Gallop in CP yesterday (half marathon) in 1:21:11. No pr but am pleased with the effort on a hilly course.

1 person likes this.
  14. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

15. Michigan Planner

5.8 miles this morning.

When I put on my running shorts this morning O felt a big lump in one of the pockets and realized I sent them through the washer and dryer with an unopened GU packet. Thankfully it survived the journey... I can only imagine the mess that might have made in the dryer if it had busted open. #RunnerProblems?

1 person likes this.
  16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Run in this monsoon outside? No thanks! I am going to get out tomorrow or maybe this evening to see how the legs feel at pace.

17. sugarbutch

Love running in the rain. Of course, we'd have to get some rain in order to do this...

18. DMartins

DMartins Active Member

I've recently begun to suffer from shin splints and wow, I miss running really bad.

19. sugarbutch

I'm working around some heel pain, hoping to maintain fitness to get to NYC and do okay. So, yesterday the elliptical using heart rate to approximate warming up for three miles then 3x1200 at 5K pace. I was astounded by the volume of sweat I produced. It was like I'd stepped out of a bath.

1 person likes this.