1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ran the SF Marathon 2nd Half yesterday. Temps were a bit warm for San Francisco. It was overcast and cool enough in the park, but as soon as we came out of the tunnel onto Haight St. the sun was low and directly in our faces, with almost no breeze. The big downhills were murderous. If my Garmin is to be believed, I was going down at 5:10/mile.

A (much faster) friend came out to cheer at mile 9 right at the base of the last real hill, and he ran with me until the last mile. That was really helpful. The heat finally took its toll, and I couldn't really push for the finish. In that last mile, I came across people who had collapsed. Another friend's colleague collapsed and was taken to the hospital where he remained unconscious for two hours! Scary.

Anyway, I tell this long story because I beat my PR by 2m54s! I can't wait for the Giant Race later this year on a much flatter course...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.6 miles tonite.
    Congrats SB on the race. PR in tough conditions is awesome.
    Impressive mileage MP.

[q!!uote name="jbarwick" url="/t/69386/how-many-miles-did-you-run-today/10200#post_7276812"]Got in 11 miles yesterday which was probably a bad idea due to the heat.  I consumed close to a gallon of water over that stretch.  Also in the past week I have dipped 6 lbs which must be a lot of water weight.  I switched from x3 sodium Bloks to some with a little caffeine so I think I need to add more electrolyte replenishment.  I have some Hammer Endurlytes I need to use up.
    [/quote]
    save them for fall. When hot, hit the s-caps or endurolyte extreme caps. If over 90, I've taken them (S-caps) every 30 min when needed. YRMV, but base it on how you are able to process the water you are drinking. If sloshing, you need to change. Also track the sodium you get from other food and drink. Dont want to oveload, but cramping, sloshing, and bloating are more personal experience type of things that work for each person.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

9.6 miles today.

We had some good storms roll through Sunday evening (of course while my wife and I were sitting outside for a James Taylor concert) and the power was knocked out to about 150,000 homes in the area. I didn't run yesterday morning but did today and was surprised by how many neighborhoods still had no power. The sound of generators was overpowering my headphones in some spots!

4. sugarbutch

4 recovery miles this morning. The recovery run is so counterintuitive, but it always works.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Quote: Thanks for the tips. The Bloks are really just another way to get in some calories as I try to stay around 150-200 an hour which keeps my energy up. Have not had any sloshing or bloating due to water but cramping comes and goes with the heat. Today it is a lot cooler here so my missed morning run will be made up tonight.

6. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Finally back on the wagon after two weeks off to let my ankle heal up. 5 slow miles yesterday and today. Taking it easy and sticking to the bike paths until I'm back to 100%.

1 person likes this.
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

8.6 miles in 59* weather. Loved it!

8. sugarbutch

6 this morning. Still feeling a bit spent from the half, but better than I felt yesterday.

9. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

8.6 miles w speed intervals on hills

10. Michigan Planner

6.5 miles tonight. The great weather continues for now. It was only about 65° at 7:00 p.m. tonight. Perfect!

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

6.5 miles this morning. Wasn't a good run but breakfast after of 4 eggs, bacon, potatoes, and cheese really excited me!!!

2 people like this.
  12. Michigan Planner

13. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

6.5 today in the furnace that is the Southern California valleys right now (mid 90s, high humidity, zero breeze). There was much walking as I tried to catch my breath... doesn't take long to forget how to run in the heat.

In happier news, ankle recover is coming along nicely. Felt almost normal out there today.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I ran 15 miles this evening... Mix of pavement, double and singletrack. This was my third run in my new Saucony Kinvara 4 shoes, and I must say that I like them so far (the first two runs were 6 and 5 miles). The temperatures were a bit warm at the beginning, but then cooled off nicely. I finished right at sunset.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Took the day off to heal my foot. Don't know what this pain is from. Hoping it is from a bruise from a bad step and not some sort of stress fracture.

16. sugarbutch

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

13.1 miles this morning on what I am calling "The unofficial trail half marathon". Great weather!

18. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

And I did :)

[​IMG]

(Watch battery died... I ran to the next village and back - about 6,5 km in total.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. sugarbutch

20. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.3 miles on Thursday.
    Was going to run a 16 mile fast finish long run (8 easy, 8 fast) but my bro-in-law asked me to run a half with him. So I ran the half and then had some water, took a 10 min break and ran another 3 for a total of 16.2 miles today. PR'd the race and ran 10 sec / mile faster than my previous best. I havent ran a half in over a year, but was good to run a PR at 1:36:05. Made turning 49 on Friday a bit easier. Took 3rd overall. Small town race.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    2 people like this.