1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

4.5 miles today. Yesterday I was convinced I'd only run 4 miles a day for a while, but today was too nice.

2. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Little over 13 miles... 12 1/2 of which were pretty uneventful. About 1/2 mile from the end I was running on this single track that parallels the fire road, I cross paths with a guy walking a couple pit bulls... one of which did not take to kindly to my passing so close and chomped on my calf.

Aside from a lot of pain and surprisingly little blood (and what will likely become a pretty gruesome bruise), it doesn't look too serious. I carry a small first aid kit so was able to clean it out right away (highly recommend for you trail runners out there).

FWIW, I don't blame the dog (and don't consider pit bulls particularly vicious compared to other breeds).

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That sucks. I had a little dog snap at me earlier this week, but I was already out of range.

Only 3.3 for me this morning, but all uphill. 600+ feet. There's also no air up here at 6000 feet! Even on the little bit of flat at the beginning, I was a solid minute behind my easy pace.

[​IMG]

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Wow, that's intense. I took about a 6 mile run in Houston last year, and passed an abandoned lot which had a guard dog. The dog came precariously close to biting me, but to your point I suppose he was doing his job (in that case).

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

6.5 miles yesterday. No dog bites. I was bitten by a neighbor's dog while riding my bike when I was 7 or 8.

1 person likes this.
  6. hang10

hang10 Member

3.6mi yesterday. It was a perfect day to run through the park.

7. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

62.4 miles today. Ran the 100K on what amounts to the rockiest terrain I've ever run. Tough course but survived. Quite a few dropped down to the 2 loop 40 mile run due to the course and heat (78 degrees high).
    I did better than I thought I would. Placed 6th overall and ran a 13:39.

4 people like this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

:slayer:

9. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Great job wingin it!

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

3.5 blissfull 4/20 miles in the nyc springtime sun.

1 person likes this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Six mile brick run survived (after a 50 mile zone 2 ride)! Mental note, consume more calories during the bike ride! I bonked hard at about 4.5 miles. I also saw my first rattlesnake of the year.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

4.5 on treadmill. Opposite existential experience others described above

13. sugarbutch

wingin' it: Congratulations!

fueco: What is a "brick" run?

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's the tri geek term for a training brick consisting of a bike ride followed immediately by a run (basically, you're trying to replicate the transition from bike to run during a race).

1 person likes this.
  15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

4.5 light miles today.

Working myself back into shape.

Does anyone have any experience with foam rollers? I don't know if I'm a closet masochist or if this thing is really doing the trick. I have felt more limber after using it than I have since the early 90s. ;)

16. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

a bunch of dudes in RHET swears by foam rolling and knobbling.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  17. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Foam rolling is awesome, and it will feel better the more you do it. I have one of those crazy Rumble Rollers, and the first time I used that after switching from a standard roller it killed, and sometimes it still does, but it's definitely a good hurt.

18. sugarbutch

8 this afternoon.

I have a foam roller which I seldom use. But it seems to help when I do use it.

19. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Oh that looks great! I have a standard foam roller, but could see the rumble one being kind of fun. My IT bands are like total hurt, hamstrings hurt in spots, and the front of my thighs (not sure what to call that) are sore but not necessarily as painful as rolling on the IT band. That's basically all I do, so far.

20. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

I have 3 foam rollers. 2 hand held (1 plastic bendable, 1 foam on hardwood) and 1 6" diameter with nubs on it to roll on. I use them after stretching each night or after a longer run. The IT band will hurt rolling on one or hand rolling them out. Just remember that most IT band injuries are the symptom not the cause. The rolling will help though.