1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.9 miles on a windy cold start to the new year.

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

5.1 very cold, snowy, wet, slow, and miserable miles this morning. Most of the streets seem to be totally unplowed and there is about 5" of fresh, very fluffy and powdery snow on the ground. Definitely slow-going but it was still fun too.

This year's running goal: 2,014 miles in 2014.

1 person likes this.
  3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

3 miles in the fresh, fluffy snow--about 5-6 inches. Two steps forward, one back. Whenever there is a fresh snowfall, it is fun to see the tracks of other runners--human and not.

4. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

I love running in fresh snow especially in the early morning. It's quiet and peaceful - just me and a few bunnies. We had snow a few days ago and was able to enjoy about 8 miles in it. The next day was more difficult because the snow turned into ice.
    Good luck to all of you on the east coast!

5. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

5.7 miles tonite w/ 30 minutes of snow shoveling...errr cross training prior.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

6 miles last night in the frigid 20s with a wind chill dipping into the teens. Going to be single digits on Monday which is very un-Nashville like. The issue I had last night was in the wind freezing me on some sections then dying off to where I thought I was overheating when it wasn't blowing. Ohio cold was rough and you Michigan guys deserve an award for staying there and running regularly.

7. Michigan Planner

It was -3º this morning with a windchill of -14º. I decided not to run this morning. I am going to leave work early this afternoon to get in some skiing on the golf course across the street from my house though. It's supposed to be back into positive temps by then thankfully.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

4 miles this morning in the Florida cold, which means mid 40s and windy. I got away with wearing shorts and a tee, but I had to put on a headband and wear some gloves to stay warm enough.

9. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10. borderline

borderline Senior member

I'm 46, and I'm a long time runner, never did more than 1/2 marathon, signed up for the Big Sur marathon in late April. So, the specific training has begun. The main issue is knees, not worried about the cardio. Did 8 miles last saturday, 9 mile run scheduled tomorrow. Doing 3-5-3 during the T-W-Th part of the week, then the long run on the weekends.

We'll see how it goes. I don't care about my time, but I need to finish in <6 hrs or they sweep you off the course.

I've seen the route, the hills are intimidating.

11. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

That should be a really pretty Marathon. Just try to enjoy the views while you're doing those hills!

Yes, the key is the long runs on the weekend. You have plenty of time before April to work your way up to 20+ miles for the training run. Good luck.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes, Big Sur should be cool! I haven't run there, but I've cycled quite a bit of it.

17 miles for me today. Was to be longer, but unforeseen circumstances cut my will to go long (my wife's father died less than an hour before I started running, but he's in Alberta, so nothing we can do until she can head up there during the week). I'll have to go longer tomorrow... Race day is four weeks from tomorrow!

13. Michigan Planner

10.9 miles this morning in the calm before the storm. We are supposed to get up to 15" of snow over the next couple of days so who knows when I will get back out there. I don't mind running in deep snow, but that, on top of what we already have, is just too much. Of course, a forecast of 15" means we will probably get closer to 2".

Fueco - I'm sorry to hear about the death in the family.

14. borderline

borderline Senior member

9.0 miles today with my wife. Sunny, 50 F, no wind. It went well. Avg. pace about 9:15, with ~500 feet of hills.

I did 60 miles in December, the training plan has me doing 88 in January. Do you think this is too big of a jump?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. Michigan Planner

28 miles doesn't sound like too big of a jump up from 60 miles. Depending on how you spaced out those 60 miles, the extra 28 could be just a bit extra tacked on to those runs or maybe just an extra 3 or 4 seven+ mile runs. Very doable depending on your time.

16. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

~12 miles and ~2k elevation trail run this morning. Turned a corner and almost collided with a big ass deer. Not sure which of us was more scared in that moment (We don't see much wildlife in the local hills here so it was quite unexpected)

17. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

~17 miles on trails today.

18. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This afternoon, I took advantage of the moderate temperatures-upper 20s--and ran 4 miles--slippin' and sliding on the ice and snow. All over town, there are piles of tree limbs from last week's ice storm. In the next 24 hours, we are expecting 12 inches of snow. On Monday and Tuesday, dangerously low temperatures are in the forecast. This will be a challenge!

19. Michigan Planner

I'm hoping we get enough snow that my office actually closes on Monday (it's never happened since I've been there but I've heard tales of times past). If the office is closed I'm going to head up to the Independence Oaks county park near Clarkston and try to get about ten miles in on those trails. It should be a blast. Even if the office is open, I may have to show up late just so I can go run there.

20. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

I'd also say it depends on what you are training for and what you normal training runs are like. If you are a 100 mile per week guy and training for fast marathon or 100 mile race, not a big deal. If you have never ran that much before, ramping up to that level is a good jump and may be tough to do. 10% per week would take you to 88 by end of the month if you ended Dec at 60 / week. 88 is way too much for me and anything more than 60 / week for more than 2-3 weeks require me to have a very low recovery week and some tapering afterward. Then again, I'm older (48). Your body and health will tell you what you can handle.