1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

3.3 miles! First time out in 4 or 5 weeks. First mile and a half was breaking off the rust that had formed then my legs were back. May have lost a few seconds of speed but was ticking away at 7:30min/mi like I had hardly left. Feeling fresh this morning.

1 person likes this.
  2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

7.4 miles this morning with two 2.5 mile stretches below an 8:00 pace. I've got just 9 days to go until the Marine Corps Marathon.

2 people like this.
  3. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Achilles and calf a bit sore for some reason, so took a day off. Had a Max VO2 test yesterday at heart institute. Interesting test. Start out at 3 mph and 0 incline. About every 10-15 seconds the incline goes up 0.5 degrees until it hits 22 degrees. Once there, it begins to increase speed by 0.1 mph every 10-15 seconds until you cry uncle. Your hooked up to a ton of wires, a snorkel to only breath thru your mouth, a blood pressure cuff (measured every 2-3 minutes while running), and finger heart rate monitor. This is followed by a lung capacity test (performed twice) that you breath into and out of a tube for 12 seconds as deep and rapidly as possible.

Should be able to tell you how your heart functions during stress, your VO2 max, what capacity you are using your VO2, when you switch from aerobic to anaerobic and start to dump lactic acid, and the doctor can tell you where to focus your efforts. Get results on Monday.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

What does that kind of test cost? I know triathletes go through all sorts of hoops to save a couple seconds or minutes though it seems these efforts would be good for people who want to race near their limits the entire race.

5. BBlue777c

BBlue777c New Member

Patellar tendinitis caused by improper patellar tracking, most likely. Happens a lot.

Take some anti-inflammatories (I like Aleve) and rest a bit. Maybe do some squats.

When the pain goes away, make sure to do some squats (or at least leg extensions, but those have fewer benefits).

And IME rest means lay off the running for a while shoe dude... even a couple of weeks or more if that's what it takes to stop hurting. You'll lose some conditioning, but it beats the hell out aggravating it into a more serious injury.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10.6 miles yesterday.

$225 for test, results on paper w/ interpretations, and doctor consultation after.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

4 yesterday evening. Did 5k in 24'02"; If I'd known, I was that close to going under 24, I would have sped up a little bit!

8. descartes

descartes Member

1 person likes this.
  9. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10. sugarbutch

9.4. Went out for 12, but started to feel strain in the groin area, so I stopped. Now that I'm only two weeks away, I guess I'm getting paranoid about getting injured. :embar:

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Finished my first half marathon yesterday. I was having a great run and making good time, but then right around mile 12.5, I got a bad leg cramp and had to stop and stretch and then I walked for about 2 tenths of a mile, so that ruined my time. I still finished under my original goal and my final time was 2:06, but I would have been cutting it really close to breaking 2 hours if I didn't get that cramp right at the end.

I think all the hills probably contributed to the injury - it was an extremely hilly course with lots of very steep hills, which I wasn't used to, so my legs were working overtime to get through those sections. I'm still glad I was able to run across the finish line, but I have a new goal for my next half. The next one I'm signed up for is much flatter, so I definitely think I can do that in under 2:00.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

SB - Some days pains just come along and we have to take it easy. Any ideas of what caused it?

Beatle - I had the same issue when going from flat land to hills while on a weekend trip a couple of years back. Caused all sorts of issues but now I am used to hills.

As for me I got in some good weekend runs. I put in a 6 mile effort yesterday which felt good. Going to be a busy week so trying to figure out how much running I can put in. My training schedule really doesn't have me starting until December for a March race.

13. sugarbutch

I've been feeling a bit of soreness off and on for at least a week, but this felt like something more. It's probably just overuse. I'm feeling it in my upper, inner thigh, groin, and lower abdomen/pelvis on the right side. I don't have any other experience by which to judge, but based on how I've felt at the end of my high-mileage weekends and the reactions of folks here (and real-world friends), I'm thinking that my program may be overly stressful and leave me susceptible to injury. It feels like the long-ish fast runs on Saturday followed up by long runs on Sunday tire out all of the small muscles which affect my form/mechanics. I know thousands of people have used Higdon successfully, but it may not be the right thing for me. If I do this again, I'll look into other approaches.

Congratulations, Beatlegeuse! Sorry that it didn't go as planned, but you'll certainly do better next time.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Kicked off my training week with 5.3 miles in the hills.

Plan for the week is to up the running days to 4, and increase the long run to 14 miles. It's getting fun!

15. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Gorgeous morning. Clear sky with the constellations visible. 32 degrees, but comfortable. Nice 5 mile run. Then, one mile from home, I tripped on a piece of jagged sidewalk, fell, gashed my knee cap, hit my head on the sidewalk, and got a cut near my eye. Sheesh! #battlescars :embar:

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

CP - Ouch! I have not taken a tumble in a which but had hit my toe pretty hard quite a few times.

I got in 4.5 miles last night which felt good. What does everyone use to keep themselves visible in the dark? I have some reflective items but do not know if they really help drivers that much.

17. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Sorry to read about the fall CP. I've been pretty lucky in my predawn runs. FWIW, I usually avoid the sidewalk and run in the street (when it's a safe option) for that very reason.

I put in 9.8 miles this morning.

18. sugarbutch

Ouch, CP. I actually winced reading your description.

4 miles.

19. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

6.3 miles with some short speed work tonite.

Knuckle lights work well for street running. Not bright enough for technical trails. The Princeton Tech Remix is a cheap, light, & very bright headlamp that can be used on trails or street too. If the neighborhood or roads are bright enough, a general road reflection vest is light and works well.

CP- Tough spill. Hope your up and around quickly. I stay off the sidewalks and on the street due that reason, kids toys, and dogs that believe that the sidewalk is part of their yard.

20. Onetwobit

Onetwobit Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've skimmed this thread for a while now and everyone seems quite knowledgeable, hopefully I can get a jump start!

I should start by saying that I've never been a "runner". I wouldn't even say that I'm in half decent shape, although I'm fairly small at 5'10 150lbs (23 years old) so I've got that going for me.

I have started running in the mornings before work. My standard track right now is between 1.2 - 1.5 miles, after which I'm sucking wind pretty good. I live in Miami, FL and at about the .75 mile mark I'm drenched (it's still 80 and relatively humid @ 6am) and start getting that drained feeling.

But that's OK! I don't have unrealistic expectations. Stepping stones. Progress. I have a couple of things that bother me:

• What gadget do you guys use to track distance, stats, etc. I find it very irritating not knowing where I'm at.
    • Shoes. Currently using fairly standard Asics athletic shoes. An upgrade to true runners is probably important.
    • Do you guys run the same track for your daily routine? Do you run the same way back as on the way out?

Thanks for any responses. I will be updating my progress weekly if not daily.