1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

7 miles tonite. 90+ degrees for the run, but with lower humidity it wasn't too bad.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know how you guys run in that heat. I found 72° and midday sun kind of unpleasant on Sunday. This morning's 59° and overcast was perfect.

3. sugarbutch

9 sucky miles. I was relieved to get a phone call I had to take while I was out there.

4. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

11 miles tonite. Ran on treadmill. Was 94 degrees w/ high humidity and had to do a tempo for 6 miles with 2.5 warm up and cool down. No way I could have got a good run in outside.
    I like to run in heat in summer training. It makes you fly in fall weather when its 50 out. Your body feels like you can go forever. I can't do long speed work or a really long (18+ miles) road runs if the heat and humidity is too high. Usually anything under 2 hrs or any amount on trails aren't a problem when hot. Carrying enough water is an issue. I just bought a 70 oz bladder and the Alpha pak from UltrAspire. May be enough to last a long run.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This morning, I ran 5 miles on the new Prairies and Ponds pathway in "Lake Woebegon". The pathway goes through wetlands, river, cornfields, prairie grass etc.... Lots of twists and turns. What was especially neat was running through the low (WHITE) fog by the cornfield just as the sun was rising. Also, I encountered Mister Red Fox who just sat down on the trail and stared at me for a few minutes. Ah, #PureMichigan. #that'snotadog

1 person likes this.
  6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I did 4.5 miles last night as the sun was going down and am still picking little flying gnats out of my teeth. The true danger of summer evening running isn't being chased by a dog or hit by a car... it's swarms of tiny flying insects.

This morning I got in another 9.7 miles.

7. clarinetplayer

Gnats! It's the bug that I swallow that bugs me. The mosquito = our state bird. Although, this summer, the population has been down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I mustered 5 miles yesterday afternoon...

My next race is next weekend, so I'm into taper mode. I'm planning to crush my PR for the Half Ironman distance. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Ran for 50 minutes this morning and got up to 5.6 miles.

11. clarinetplayer

3 miles in 25 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  12. sugarbutch

1.5. I was supposed to do 4, but I chose to run with my son instead.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

14. Michigan Planner

I've signed up for a 10k for tomorrow morning because a friend of mine is back for the holiday from DC and he wanted to race me. Now he says that he is probably going to skip out on it because 8:00 a.m. is too early for him and he's probably going to drink too much at the Tiger game tonight. Had I known he was going to back out, I'd have signed up for a 30k on the other side of town instead.

:censored:

Oh well. I'll drink tonight and still beat whatever time he would have gotten.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. sugarbutch

Do any of you have children who run, too? My 8-year-old is quite interested in it, and I wonder what are some realistic goals he can set for himself. He threw out 7 miles as a target, and it seemed reasonable to me, at least if he starts to run regularly. I think it would be a hoot to run a 10k with him.

16. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

10.3 this morning. Got out before the heatwave. Its 100 on the nose right now. I left at 81 and back at 85 with around 45% humidity. Not too bad, but shirt, shorts, and hat are soaked. Sweating so much that my routes are planned where I can get a water bottle refill every 35-45 minutes. S-caps every 30 minutes.
    Got a bit sick of listening to music and found some great podcasts to listen to. Really takes your mind off everything and quite a few with some good running info on them.

MP- you should drag him out w/ you, hung over or not. Tell him for the price of registration, you'll let him sleep in.
    SB- There should be some good articles out there on what is ok for kids distance to run or not. There's always kids at 5 / 10K's but not sure what 8 y/o's should be doing. Mine are in their 20's.

1 person likes this.
  17. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Fueco, haven't seen you post in a while. Good luck, let us know how you did.

18. Michigan Planner

I ended up doing the 30k instead of the 10k and wow! What a tough course! Nearly 1,300 feet in elevation climb which is sort of unheard of here in SE Michigan. The course was almost all on dirt roads through a couple very large parks/recreation areas. I'm glad I picked the 30k. I was hoping for about 2:30 but ended about 6 minutes slower and am not really complaining - the course was much more difficult than I was imagining and I didn't spend all day yesterday hydrating like I normally would before a run of that length.

I don't think 8 is too young at all to get interested in running. My daughter is 3 and we go to the playground at an elementary school right next to a high school track and she likes trying to run a lap on the track every now and then.

1 person likes this.
  19. clarinetplayer

[​IMG]

After Michigan's 50 point victory in the Big House, I had a great 4 mile run in the Burns Park neighborhoods in Ann Arbor.

1 person likes this.
  20. sugarbutch

13.1 with new PR, but about 12"/mile slower than the target I set for myself. Never felt strong today.

1 person likes this.