• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 miles off road. Small paths, ditches, muddy and some steep hills in 21 minutes, reckon I'm good to join the army (1.5 miles flat tarmac in 10:30). Now to get it down so the Lt. Col. lets me go to briefing and the Scots Guards will not call me a fat lazy slob.

Half marathon on Sunday, pretty confident despite hardly running the last three weeks.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what level 15 on a bleep test roughly corresponds to as a regular run?

tmw

Reaction score
4.5 last night on the treadmill in 47'24". My crippled left lung makes sub 10 minutes a thing of my past. All I can do is work on easy, flat distances. My times are significantly worse on the street as the slightest hill is torture and I wind up gasping. F---king diaphragm...

Would like to try to increase my pulmonary reserve to be able to do a 60 min 10K before I turn 57 (55 now)

Last edited:

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tmw- awesome you are still running man. Inspirational stuff.
Humphrey - no idea about a bleep test . . . What is it?
7 last night with a few surges for me.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tmw- awesome you are still running man. Inspirational stuff.
Humphrey - no idea about a bleep test . . . What is it?
7 last night with a few surges for me.

Multi-stage fitness test is the proper name for it, or bleep test, beep test, pacer test, Leger-test or 20-m shuttle run test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleep_test

Apparently Brett Emerton (professional footballer at Blackburn Rovers) got level 15 just before he went to the World Cup in 2006. Its the minimum standard for potential officers in the Royal Marines so I'm hoping he was just unfit at the time.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

2 miles off road. Small paths, ditches, muddy and some steep hills in 21 minutes, reckon I'm good to join the army (1.5 miles flat tarmac in 10:30). Now to get it down so the Lt. Col. lets me go to briefing and the Scots Guards will not call me a fat lazy slob.
Half marathon on Sunday, pretty confident despite hardly running the last three weeks.
What

What kit do you have to wear for the 1 1/2 miles? Not too bad in trainers but a bit harder in boots and BDUs carrying a rifle!

Charlie

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 miles this morning. Easy, but quite warm. It was 70 degrees here at 5 a.m.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
I did 10 last night with 8 x 2minutes hard. Felt pretty tough to go fast, but I finished the last one much below the average.
Good to go hard again. Also did weights & core.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wooo. 10km today in around 40 min. Wasn't even that tired and even benched & squatted after.

MoreFire said:
Currently training for a 2.5 miles competition (gotta work on those shorter distances).
Do I need long jogs, at all?
Depends. Are you a total beginer? How good is your stamina?

Training power and speed for shorter distances without a solid stamina base is not advised.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MoreFire
How well do you want to do?
If you are trying to do really well, you should probably run mileage. 2.5 miles is still going to take you from 13-18 minutes if you are getting after it, which means you should be prepared to exert a lot of effort for that long of a time. Most good 5k runners still run 40+ miles per week, with the elites closer to 100-150 range - and that is for a race only .6 miles further. If you just want to finish, you know the drill, but if you want to kick some ass, look into running many days a week, with a long run on the weekends.

14.5 for me today, longest run since Boston, with some serious elevation. The last 2k I did 30 seconds hard/30 seconds easy. Finally feeling okay again, although there is definitely lingering soreness in a few spots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads