• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

StylinGuy

Reaction score
Just picked up the Nike+Fit bracelet and gonna try it out on a long run after work today! Will let you guys know how it works...

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

6.28 miles @ 8:17 min/mile (I know it's slow)

It isn't, I'd be delighted to do 6 miles at that pace at the moment!

3 miles today @ 9 min/mile. Tired legs at the moment, I've upped the weekly mileage and its taken a bit of a toll, hopefully it'll pay off though.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attached is a link to a longer Boston Race report with pics. Its not exciting but if you want to read it go on ahead. I always like having these things to look back on.
6 miles easy the last two days. The nice thing about having a marathon on a monday is that I can calculate it in to my weekly mileage so I dont feel like a total slob. After getting used to running 10+ miles a day, the weeks after a marathon are almost akin Post-pardum depression . . . I also swam, did core and push ups yesterday.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6WgyIpLj6L-REZaZS1rUDNJaHM

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't knock it, man. Good mileage.

It isn't, I'd be delighted to do 6 miles at that pace at the moment!
3 miles today @ 9 min/mile. Tired legs at the moment, I've upped the weekly mileage and its taken a bit of a toll, hopefully it'll pay off though.

This isn't all that slow by my standards.

Thanks for the support guys!

Well didnt run this morning, I stayed up all night reading so hopefully when I wake up (12pm hopefully) I will go running.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, only 3 miles. It was cold, damp, and windy. I was a wimp and turned back. Maybe I'll try later in the day. WHERE is spring??????

tmw

Reaction score
This is a cool thread: I apologize in advance if the story below bores some of you to tears, perhaps some may find it interesting.

I am 55 and had been a runner (slow) for about 25 years when disaster struck about 4 years ago. As I said, I'd always been slow, averaging between 8:45 and 9:00 miles at distances between 5-10 miles several times weekly. Hardly a competitor, but it kept me healthy and I loved it..

As I hit my late 40's I was averaging about 35-40 miles/week. This kept me in decent shape and allowed me to eat whatever I wanted to!

Four years ago I developed a paralyzed Left Hemi-Diaphragm after a medical procedure. This left me with a left lung which was essentially non-functional. The cause of the diaphragm issue was a Left phrenic nerve paralysis. The running I so dearly loved became a torturous, gasping nightmare. I could do 2 miles in 28 minutes and felt completely awful throughout the entirety of the run. No capacity to run up even a small grade. It sucked, so I stopped

Anyway, about 18 months ago I underwent surgery to explore the phrenic nerve. My surgeon found it (the phrenic) encased in scar tissue and actually got it running in the operating room. A team of electrophysiologists was in the O.R. to do the necessary diagnostics pre and post procedure.

The surgery was a success in that the nerve was now functional and the diaphragm was at least moving at about 50% of it's range allowing me to breathe more comfortably. Running was unpleasant and slow for the first year and I will never be what I was, but.....I can now crank out 4 miles on a treadmill in 42 minutes. This gives me a decent bit of endorphin rush at the end and keeps the weight off of me. But most importantly, it is becoming pleasurable again. I have difficulty running outside because the slightest grade is still very difficult and I don't have the necessary pulmonary reserve....

Thanks so much for indulging this long story. The point is that running is a wonderful gift. My slow 10:30 miles are enough to keep me in decent shape and I am no longer ashamed of my times. My goal is to do a 10K in under an hour once I build up the necessary reserve to handle some gentle hills. I know this is nothing for most of you guys, but I am one very happy middle aged (and lean!) 55 yr.old dude. who looks pretty damned decent in slim selvedge denim and other cool stuff.

cheers and happy trails!

tmw

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, only 3 miles. It was cold, damp, and windy. I was a wimp and turned back. Maybe I'll try later in the day. WHERE is spring??????

Thats the exact thing I said this morning.

This is a cool thread: I apologize in advance if the story below bores some of you to tears, perhaps some may find it interesting.
I am 55 and had been a runner (slow) for about 25 years when disaster struck about 4 years ago. As I said, I'd always been slow, averaging between 8:45 and 9:00 miles at distances between 5-10 miles several times weekly. Hardly a competitor, but it kept me healthy and I loved it..
As I hit my late 40's I was averaging about 35-40 miles/week. This kept me in decent shape and allowed me to eat whatever I wanted to!
Four years ago I developed a paralyzed Left Hemi-Diaphragm after a medical procedure. This left me with a left lung which was essentially non-functional. The cause of the diaphragm issue was a Left phrenic nerve paralysis. The running I so dearly loved became a torturous, gasping nightmare. I could do 2 miles in 28 minutes and felt completely awful throughout the entirety of the run. No capacity to run up even a small grade. It sucked, so I stopped
Anyway, about 18 months ago I underwent surgery to explore the phrenic nerve. My surgeon found it (the phrenic) encased in scar tissue and actually got it running in the operating room. A team of electrophysiologists was in the O.R. to do the necessary diagnostics pre and post procedure.
The surgery was a success in that the nerve was now functional and the diaphragm was at least moving at about 50% of it's range allowing me to breathe more comfortably. Running was unpleasant and slow for the first year and I will never be what I was, but.....I can now crank out 4 miles on a treadmill in 42 minutes. This gives me a decent bit of endorphin rush at the end and keeps the weight off of me. But most importantly, it is becoming pleasurable again. I have difficulty running outside because the slightest grade is still very difficult and I don't have the necessary pulmonary reserve....
Thanks so much for indulging this long story. The point is that running is a wonderful gift. My slow 10:30 miles are enough to keep me in decent shape and I am no longer ashamed of my times. My goal is to do a 10K in under an hour once I build up the necessary reserve to handle some gentle hills. I know this is nothing for most of you guys, but I am one very happy middle aged (and lean!) 55 yr.old dude. who looks pretty damned decent in slim selvedge denim and other cool stuff.
cheers and happy trails!
tmw

Thanks for sharing and its great that you are back at it!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wonderful story. I'm glad you're able to enjoy running again. Continue to enjoy running, and when you do run, post here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 miles followed by nearly two hours at the gym.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads