1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. CalTex

CalTex Distinguished Member

hahaahah, this is great.

2. CalTex

6.28 miles @ 8:17 min/mile (I know it's slow)

3. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

don't knock it, man. Good mileage.

4. StylinGuy

StylinGuy Well-Known Member

Just picked up the Nike+Fit bracelet and gonna try it out on a long run after work today! Will let you guys know how it works...

5. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

It isn't, I'd be delighted to do 6 miles at that pace at the moment!

3 miles today @ 9 min/mile. Tired legs at the moment, I've upped the weekly mileage and its taken a bit of a toll, hopefully it'll pay off though.

6. samblackbones

samblackbones Distinguished Member

Attached is a link to a longer Boston Race report with pics. Its not exciting but if you want to read it go on ahead. I always like having these things to look back on.
    6 miles easy the last two days. The nice thing about having a marathon on a monday is that I can calculate it in to my weekly mileage so I dont feel like a total slob. After getting used to running 10+ miles a day, the weeks after a marathon are almost akin Post-pardum depression . . . I also swam, did core and push ups yesterday.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6WgyIpLj6L-REZaZS1rUDNJaHM

7. ribkin

ribkin Senior Member

8. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

This isn't all that slow by my standards.

9. CalTex

Thanks for the support guys!

Well didnt run this morning, I stayed up all night reading so hopefully when I wake up (12pm hopefully) I will go running.

10. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

This morning, only 3 miles. It was cold, damp, and windy. I was a wimp and turned back. Maybe I'll try later in the day. WHERE is spring??????

11. tmw

tmw Senior Member

This is a cool thread: I apologize in advance if the story below bores some of you to tears, perhaps some may find it interesting.

I am 55 and had been a runner (slow) for about 25 years when disaster struck about 4 years ago. As I said, I'd always been slow, averaging between 8:45 and 9:00 miles at distances between 5-10 miles several times weekly. Hardly a competitor, but it kept me healthy and I loved it..

As I hit my late 40's I was averaging about 35-40 miles/week. This kept me in decent shape and allowed me to eat whatever I wanted to!

Four years ago I developed a paralyzed Left Hemi-Diaphragm after a medical procedure. This left me with a left lung which was essentially non-functional. The cause of the diaphragm issue was a Left phrenic nerve paralysis. The running I so dearly loved became a torturous, gasping nightmare. I could do 2 miles in 28 minutes and felt completely awful throughout the entirety of the run. No capacity to run up even a small grade. It sucked, so I stopped

Anyway, about 18 months ago I underwent surgery to explore the phrenic nerve. My surgeon found it (the phrenic) encased in scar tissue and actually got it running in the operating room. A team of electrophysiologists was in the O.R. to do the necessary diagnostics pre and post procedure.

The surgery was a success in that the nerve was now functional and the diaphragm was at least moving at about 50% of it's range allowing me to breathe more comfortably. Running was unpleasant and slow for the first year and I will never be what I was, but.....I can now crank out 4 miles on a treadmill in 42 minutes. This gives me a decent bit of endorphin rush at the end and keeps the weight off of me. But most importantly, it is becoming pleasurable again. I have difficulty running outside because the slightest grade is still very difficult and I don't have the necessary pulmonary reserve....

Thanks so much for indulging this long story. The point is that running is a wonderful gift. My slow 10:30 miles are enough to keep me in decent shape and I am no longer ashamed of my times. My goal is to do a 10K in under an hour once I build up the necessary reserve to handle some gentle hills. I know this is nothing for most of you guys, but I am one very happy middle aged (and lean!) 55 yr.old dude. who looks pretty damned decent in slim selvedge denim and other cool stuff.

cheers and happy trails!

tmw

12. CalTex

Thats the exact thing I said this morning.

Thanks for sharing and its great that you are back at it!

13. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

Wonderful story. I'm glad you're able to enjoy running again. Continue to enjoy running, and when you do run, post here.

14. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

3 miles followed by nearly two hours at the gym.

15. ribkin

ribkin Senior Member