1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

CONGRATULATIONS MAN! That is awesome. Stoked to see you do something crazy like that.
    I basically took last week as a lost week of training. 9 miles thursday, 6 miles friday and 8 sunday for a whopping 25 miles. Feeling rested and ready to turn the training intensity dial back up.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just for some perspective, Sam, 25 is a really solid week for me! Hope you feel better soon, though.

3. samblackbones

back to it and thanks for the encouragement!
    9.5 today on a great trail.

4. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Anyone ever hurt their soleus muscle? I have been trying to up my distances lately and ended up coming home after a 6 mile run with a pain that seems to be from beneath my gastrocnemius. How long should I wait until running again?

5. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Sunday, new 5k PR of 17.39 :nodding:
    Yesterday, rest.
    Today, 7.25 in the sun.

1 person likes this.
  6. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Congrats. That's a fantastic 5K time and pace. Breaking 20 is a great accomplishment, crushing 18 is something else. Nice job.

7. sugarbutch

Hot damn.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Here is my new "shoe" for the next 6 weeks: [​IMG]

My leg problem is due to a slight fracture of the tibia (shin bone). Very frustrating but it will heal.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. samblackbones

Sorry to hear you are banged up clarinetplayer. That sucks bad. Godspeed with recovery.
    11oclock - congrats on the pr. That is huge. Now you gotta smash 17!

Track tuesday for me last night: 1x1mile in 509 3 sets of what my coach calls 100's where you basically sprint 100 down the backstretch,make a tight turn and sprint back for 500 total yards with no recovery. Extremely painful. Then 1 800 in 226. The mile felt labored, but I closed strong on the last 800. I think I am getting stronger.

10. sugarbutch

Damn, CP, that sucks. My buddy had the same in the run up to the NYC marathon, but he's fully recovered now. He ran the same half I did and while not a PR, he considered it a good training run for his upcoming marathon this spring. He even ran a few more miles after the half to get back to his car. Bastard. :D

6.5 for me this morning.

Sam, if I understand your description, the "100s" have you running one direction on the straight, then turning around and running a lap. Is that right? If so, what's the rationale for the first turnaround?

11. about11oclock

6 recovery miles tonight. rather nice out.

12. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2 1/2 for me at 8:30 pace. First run since Christmas so my legs felt it and heart rate was right up, but good to be running again. My brother and I have places in the Great North Run, my local 1/2 marathon this Autumn to keep us motivated, no marathon for me this year though as my wedding clashes and I'm told I cant do both!

Charlie

1 person likes this.
  13. about11oclock

2 sets of 6 x 400 repeats, 200m jogs between intervals, 400 meter jogs between sets. All between 80-84 seconds. Guh.

14. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

15. samblackbones

4 turn arounds. The purpose is to practice surging without any recovery, and as a result also stimulate the body to recover from going aerobic more quickly.
    9.3 trail run with a headlamp last night. Spooky.
    11.6 this am really easy.

16. K2793

K2793 Senior member

Hi all I'm quite an avid runner, roughly 50 miles a week with decently fast times, think 15:50 5k. Just a general question for you fellow runners: does anyone have an effective way to build some muscle or tone up without sacrificing running performance? I don't want to give up running at all, but my stomach and arms are flabby even though people say I'm skinny. I'm short too so it would be nice to be able to fill out clothes a bit better in the arms and chest. I'd like to improve my physical appearance but I don't want to give up too much running ability or add a lot of mass. Any specific exercises, I plan to stay away from heavy lifting but it would be nice to tone up for once. I think I need a more structured diet, however that's hard because running requires carbs yet excess carbs make it hard to tone muscle. Thoughts?

17. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

18. samblackbones

In my experience, if you ask 5 runners (of any caliber) you will get 5 different answers. It isn't likely that you will bulk up, so if you have the patience and time go for it in the gym.

8 for me in san fran today, along w 9 miles of tourism walking. Tiring stuff. it was very irritating to run through the urban jungle, so many stop lights!

19. sugarbutch

There are a few places here where you can run for miles with no lights, Sam. If you're still in town and plan to run again, you can basically run by the water from the ballpark all the way around past the GG Bridge down Ocean Beach to the zoo. If you want specific suggestions, PM me.

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

4.5 miles this morning.