1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

Get the 910 xt! (it's not much more expensive than the 610)

I've got one and it's great, plus it's got serious battery life and real time altitude change, and once I get in the pool it can track your distance swimming as well.

Got in 5.55 on the tradmill yesterday in 31:38 (speedwork) and 3.55 in 23:58 along the east river this morning.

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

With 52º weather at 5:00 a.m., it was warm enough that I was able to get in 7 miles this morning (in about 56 minutes) before work. This was the first time this year that I was able to get out for an early morning run. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be warm enough to do so again until maybe the end of next week.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

PR for 10k this morning. Didn't set out to do it, but my workout had enough tempo stuff that I was able to get there.

[​IMG]

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

awesome! PR's are always uplifting

5. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

6.5 sloowwwww AM
    10.5 PM + Core.
    Ran with a very fast friend for the first 6 of my 10 tonight and ended up hammering a couple miles downhill. No Garmin so no splits.
    Forgot to mention -
    I went nuts at runningwarehouse.com
    looking forward to a package tomorrow including marathon flats/15 pairs of running socks/american flag running shorts/non gps watch

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its always better to have running shoes fitted in store. xc shoes are minimal, light, and often tight (some are assumed to be worn without socks) - because xc races are usually run on grass/dirt paths/mud/snow which is softer.

i upgraded to a 610 from a 405. the 610 is actually simpler to use in comparison with the 405. here's a garmin forum sub forum for the 610 to see the issues/pros/cons: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=282

personally my favorite feature of the 610 is how easy it is to change sports (from run/bike) by holding down a button for 3 seconds. one thing I don't like about the 610 is that there is no manual screen lock and a strange "power save" feature you need to think about before the start of a race.

as mylesmyles mentioned the 910 is excellent too.. especially if you swim or plan on doing triathlons.

two deals on the watches (complete with new hear rate monitor strap) from holabird sports. the 610 has a free $50 gift certificate and the 910 has a $40 gift certificate both with free shipping. I'm almost tempted to by another watch with the gift certificate and perpetuating the gift certificate cycle!

http://www.holabirdsports.com/garmin-forerunner-610-heart-rate-monitor.html

http://www.holabirdsports.com/garmin-forerunner-910xt.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. samblackbones

Hit 5.5 earlier today and ran 10 pm w/ 25 min tempo at +/- 5:50 pace. Racing during marathon training is funny to me because there is basically a harder pace that I can run no problem during tempo runs, but that I cannot run faster than during races. Basically I am just slow! Also ran 8x 50 meter strides basically all out after the run on grass with 10 seconds rest. BRUTAL but made me feel a bit faster.
    Nike Streak 3's both runs today. They are my marathon PR shoe and I will use them again in Boston.

8. quevola

quevola Senior member

10 GA miles w/ hill repeats. I'm trying to concentrate on my downhill stride turnover since my June marathon features 700 feet elevation drop.

9. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

None, because there was nobody at the place the club is supposed to meet on Friday nights.

10. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

4 miles this morning. The wind chill was in the 'teens. Brutal!

12. samblackbones

St. George?
    From what everyone tells me you can CRUSH IT if you keep training the downhills, but lots of people blow up completely and suffer.
    84 minutes today on some awesome/interesting trails in Hacienda Heights. Lots of hooligans/young kids smoking pot, but really fun run.
    I am guessing it was about 11.5 miles or something.
    Tomorrow I will do my first Marathon specific workout. Dreading it. 100%

13. samblackbones

What area are you in?
    In San Diego, OC & LA the big runs are almost always a workout tues night, a fun run/tempo on weds/thurs and a long run on Sat or Sun AM.
    Running clubs are a great resource but sometimes it takes some digging to figure out exactly where everyone meets.

14. quevola

quevola Senior member

Ojai 2 Ocean marathon in Ventura. It' will it's second running on June 3rd. I hope to run St. George one day - too bad it runs the same weekend as Long Beach.

20 hilly miles. I was shooting for 22 but my legs felt like tree trunks from all the mileage the past few months.

15. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

England. Its 3 to 5 miles on Monday and Friday, and 6 to 10 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've been going on Mondays but they meet at a different place on Fridays, I'll just wait a couple of weeks until they all start at the same place (where I know exactly where it is) and stick to Mondays for now.