1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

Seeing some of those Kenyans run 2:30 and under is crazy. 5:xx miles for 26 miles...

what's really crazy is that the world-class elites run 4:XX /mi for a marathon.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Jogging hurts my newly-sprouted genetically-modified breasts.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Pics or it didn't happen.

ok...but only because you asked for it....
    ..I can't believe I am doing this.
    I'll leave the pic posted for 1 hour only...lol

ok...2 hours later...show's over.

4. GeoPa58

GeoPa58 Well-Known Member

26.2 miles in Boston, under near-perfect conditions (mid-40's, wind not a factor).

PR'd by more than 8 minutes. 3:12 and change. I'm thrilled, don't expect to run one like that again.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

2 miles in 15 minutes.

6. eric77

eric77 Member

26.2 miles in Boston, under near-perfect conditions (mid-40's, wind not a factor).

PR'd by more than 8 minutes. 3:12 and change. I'm thrilled, don't expect to run one like that again.

Congrats man! I really want to try and run it next year, but I don't know if I'll be able to since its the middle of baseball season. I figure I'll need to get in good enough shape that I can run the marathon and not be sore 5 days later. Seems like a bit of a stretch haha

I hurt my achilles recently and haven't run in a week now, but was doing 8-10 mile runs at 7:30 pretty easily. I might try training this summer and see how things go.

7. quevola

quevola Senior member

Awesome job Geo! I'm 10 days out from my first marathon and my new realistic goal is to come in under 4:15.

What is the general consensus on using a pace group during the race?

8. unexpected

unexpected Senior member

quevola, use the pace group if you want, under two conditions:

1) Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

2) Running with a pace group is like running with a herd of cattle. I hate that. I like my open spaces. Stay 15 seconds behind or 15 seconds ahead of the pacer.

9. quevola

quevola Senior member

quevola, use the pace group if you want, under two conditions:

1) Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

2) Running with a pace group is like running with a herd of cattle. I hate that. I like my open spaces. Stay 15 seconds behind or 15 seconds ahead of the pacer.

Thanks unexpected - great point about herd running. I do get a bit claustrophobic when running too close to other people.

10. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Member

..i ran 0 miles today, will go for another round tomorrow [​IMG]

11. GeoPa58

... my new realistic goal is to come in under 4:15.

What is the general consensus on using a pace group during the race?

I don't have any experience with pace groups, but it could be helpful.

I try to adjust speed to maintain a more-or-less constant level of effort: slower uphill, faster downhill. I know if I try to maintain speed going uphill, especially late in a marathon, I'm toast. I don't know how pace groups work in this regard.

Have a great race!

12. KimboIsLegit

KimboIsLegit Member

I did 3 today, slowly building back up to where I was before I hurt my IT band.

Kinda random question, but does anyone else get harassed by cool guys in trucks? Like they'd pull up behind you near the sidewalk/bike lane and then slam the gas while honking the horn, trying to startle you? It's happening almost every day I run now.

13. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

I did 3 today, slowly building back up to where I was before I hurt my IT band.

Kinda random question, but does anyone else get harassed by cool guys in trucks? Like they'd pull up behind you near the sidewalk/bike lane and then slam the gas while honking the horn, trying to startle you? It's happening almost every day I run now.

I hate when that happens because sometimes it makes me jump a little and throws me off stride.
    I once had an SUV full of teenage (i assume) guys slow down and pull up beside me then open a door into my back as they passed. It didnt really hurt much but i was pissed. I yelled and sped up but of course they just drove off.

14. why

why Senior member

I had a valet jump out at me when I was finishing up a run and just sprinting the last half mile out. He could've made me run into a pedestrian or fall, so I flipped him off. He got some mean stares from passersby and since he was on the job he seemed a bit bashful about it.

15. epb

epb Senior member

Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

Ditto - the one time I attempted to follow a pacer, the entire group was shocked when the guy took off at a break-neck pace - a few of us tried to keep up and ran ourselves ragged before we lost him. We passed him 10 miles later, spent and walking, saying he'd planned to do a fast/slow split rather than a steady pace. "Must've gone out too fast." No shit, Sherlock. [​IMG]

16. GeoPa58

7 miles, left calf still a little sore

17. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

18. quevola

quevola Senior member

26.2 in 4:14:48
    Didn't reach my goal of under 4, but feel great about my first marathon!
    I'll start training for the Long Beach marathon in October - when the pain goes away.

19. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I'll start training for the Long Beach marathon in October - when the pain goes away.

Flying Pig?

20. GeoPa58

Congrats, q! Looks like you beat the 4:15 you called in advance. Did you use a pace group? Cheers.