• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running rest day - I did get in a full body resistance workout.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11miles yesterday, in the trails, in the dark....no music. Kind of magical. The shortest and darkest day of the year.
We are driving up to MN today, so I woke up at 5 and did a 30 minute tempo run on the dread mill (7:40 MM, 7:15 MM, 6:45 MM), this damn machine is making me faster!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Running rest day - I did get in a full body resistance workout.

whoa - glad to see you're still at it!

11miles yesterday, in the trails, in the dark....no music. Kind of magical. The shortest and darkest day of the year.
We are driving up to MN today, so I woke up at 5 and did a 30 minute tempo run on the dread mill (7:40 MM, 7:15 MM, 6:45 MM), this damn machine is making me faster!

DAMN that is quick.

Last week I cranked out 45 miles and felt on top of the world. Last weekend I took a road trip (850 miles) and saw my sick great-aunt. Then we all got sick. dammit. Today was the first time I was good to run, so it was 5.3 miles in 50-degree rain. I loved every second of it, although I've already forgotten the knee drive I'd been working on last week. sigh.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw doctor today. 3 weeks no running. Can ride a bike/swim.
SDFFalifjiajsdijfsifds im pissed. No way will I be able to pace surf city marathon.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bummer, Sam. I'm also on the sidelines for the moment. First-time back pain that seems non-muscular. Afraid to go to the doc for potentially bad news.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whoa - glad to see you're still at it!

Hey Thomas - it's been a while. I was dealing with some hamstring/piriformis issues in 2010. Now I'm back at full strength and will make a run at an old man BQ next Fall.

How've you been? Still running the Houston Marathon coming up?

Last week I cranked out 45 miles and felt on top of the world. Last weekend I took a road trip (850 miles) and saw my sick great-aunt. Then we all got sick. dammit. Today was the first time I was good to run, so it was 5.3 miles in 50-degree rain. I loved every second of it, although I've already forgotten the knee drive I'd been working on last week. sigh. [/quote]
SDFFalifjiajsdijfsifds im pissed. No way will I be able to pace surf city marathon.

Bummer Sam - I was registered for the Surf City marathon this past February and had to bail due to injury as well. You'll out and running in no time.

I'll be volunteering at this year's Surf City.

8 miles w/ fartleks.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, 4.5 miles. Temperature was 20 degrees. "Pure Michigan"

I had to take a couple of days off from running. Earlier, this week, my trainer coerced me into going to a beginner ballet class for adults. I went with fear and trepidation. I had no idea that the human body could be bent into so many shapes and angles. It was mentally and physically exhausting, and for a couple of days, I was keenly aware of every muscle in my body. I could see that a frequent regimen of this "training" could pay big rewards to a runner. This is total core training at its best. I'm glad that I went, but I'm not sure I could spare the time or find the courage to do this with any regularity. There were 9 people in the class--men and women. Some were experienced, and others, like me, were newbies. The ballet instructor is a master teacher, and I did not feel embarrassed. The instructor said that he teaches a class for one of the local high school football teams. The coach considers this to be the best off season training for his team.

Last edited:

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im up in MN now, glad I got a run in yesterday, the gluttony has begun already.
Im going to take an afternoon long run.....
Sam-That sux. Im sorry to hear that, you must be going crazy.
Thomas-this is by far the fastest I have ever run, I didnt really enjoy it, but hey thats why its called work! Im targeting a sustainable pace in the low 7MM for 1/2 and full marathon distances and 8MM for 50K for mid-late 2012.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

OUCH, stick to the biking/swimming and the time will pass soon enough. Good luck!

Bummer, Sam. I'm also on the sidelines for the moment. First-time back pain that seems non-muscular. Afraid to go to the doc for potentially bad news.

Have you considered a chiropractor? I've been bailed out by one in the past.

Hey Thomas - it's been a while. I was dealing with some hamstring/piriformis issues in 2010. Now I'm back at full strength and will make a run at an old man BQ next Fall.
How've you been? Still running the Houston Marathon coming up?
(...)

Glad to hear you're over them! Yep, Houston this January, though I'm not feeling it. This may be a rough one.

This morning, 4.5 miles. Temperature was 20 degrees. "Pure Michigan"
I had to take a couple of days off from running. Earlier, this week, my trainer coerced me into going to a beginner ballet class for adults. I went with fear and trepidation. I had no idea that the human body could be bent into so many shapes and angles. It was mentally and physically exhausting, and for a couple of days, I was keenly aware of every muscle in my body. I could see that a frequent regimen of this "training" could pay big rewards to a runner. This is total core training at its best. I'm glad that I went, but I'm not sure I could spare the time or find the courage to do this with any regularity. There were 9 people in the class--men and women. Some were experienced, and others, like me, were newbies. The ballet instructor is a master teacher, and I did not feel embarrassed. The instructor said that he teaches a class for one of the local high school football teams. The coach considers this to be the best off season training for his team.

At the moment I'm beset by thoughts that I've neglected my core very badly this time around. I do some basic yoga moves, but not nearly often enough, and it unfortunately shows in the ol' midsection. I should be thinner by now, and I wonder how much more core work would have helped. Mentally I'm kind of gearing up for White Rock or maybe 2013 Houston and putting more focus on speedwork/core.

(...)
Thomas-this is by far the fastest I have ever run, I didnt really enjoy it, but hey thats why its called work! Im targeting a sustainable pace in the low 7MM for 1/2 and full marathon distances and 8MM for 50K for mid-late 2012.

Funny enough, it took me three weeks of Track Tuesdays to stop dreading it. Now I look forward to the speedwork.

Today, 5.3 miles, 41 minutes. Sent my running ipod back to Apple for warranty repairs and making do with all-different music. Prokofiev was a highlight of the new mix.

Dr Nemo

Reaction score
Six miles and a strength workout at the Y.
SF item: I run wearing my Santa cap this week.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't run in two days. :( Yesterday I was in Bedford Springs, PA, but too tired to run, although it didn't stop me from eating a lot. Today I arrived in Manhattan, didn't run, but I did gorge myself. Tomorrow I've got to run. I must.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't run in two days. :( Yesterday I was in Bedford Springs, PA, but too tired to run, although it didn't stop me from eating a lot. Today I arrived in Manhattan, didn't run, but I did gorge myself. Tomorrow I've got to run. I must.

No worries - it's the Holiday season. You're supposed to over eat and be a little lazy.

9 easy miles last night and maybe get in a quick 3 this afternoon before the family comes over for Christmas eve dinner.

Dr Nemo

Reaction score
1 mile warm up, ten repeats of a steep 1/3 mile bluff on the shore of Lake Michigan at 90-95% effort, then 1 mile cool down.
Tomorrow, an easy 5 miles in Santa hat and jingle bells to see how many smiles we can get. Happy Holidays, gents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads