1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2.3 miles tonight. Still tough

2. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

GDL - welcome.
    One of the best ways to stay motivated is to sign up for a marathon or half marathon or something - once you are financially committed you will be more likely to be consistent with your training. It will also get much easier quickly, just make sure you don't burn yourself out!

AM - 6.5
    PM - 5
    Coming down with a cold so the 4 x 1 mile workout I have planned tomorrow may not happen.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This. By far the best way to be motivated is to have a competition looming, preferably for a scary distance you wont manage if you dont train..

Should have run 3 miles last night but the rain here is torrential so I didn't. Of course its still torrential today so I'm going to have to run in it anyway and have mesed up my schedule for no reason - theres a moral there about not being soft about the weather I'm sure..

Charlie

4. gdl203

Thanks for the advice.

A marathon (or even half) is a bit out there for someone of my age who's never ever run. I'll take it one step at a time. I just signed up for the 5K before the NYC Marathon in Central Park on Nov 3.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This morning, with the sunrise, I ran 2 miles and tripped on a piece of jagged sidewalk scraping both knee caps big time. Ouch! Oh, there's nothing like that burning feeling. Am grateful for extra large sized Band Aids.

6. Equus Leather

A half marathon is probably much more accessible than you think, and given no medical complaints or injuries and a sensible fitness program and plenty of time to build slowly I think pretty much anyone can do one as long as the goal is to do it, not to do it fast. I spectated at the Great North Run the weekend before last which is a 50,000 or so entry half marathon and there were people of every shape, size and age crossing the finish line, albeit slowly for some of them. Distance running is a function of training physically and mentally rather than talent or age though of course those things will help you to go faster..

Charlie

7. gdl203

Thanks but I have a decent awareness of my own physical condition. If I tell you that I ran a little over 2 miles, walking half of the time and was exhausted, you should believe me when I say "one step at a time". I'll think about running a 10+ mile race after I successfully complete at least a 5k.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

A 5k in a bit more than a month is a very reasonable goal. Once you're able to run 2 miles without walking, I think you'll find that adding a bit of distance to your longest run each week will come easily.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

We all start somewhere! :slayer:

Today, track day - 6 x 800 (200 recovery). I wish it were a bit cooler and I had a better mileage base to work from, but it is what it is for now.

10. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

5th Ave Mile on Saturday in NYC. Ran a 4:51 - PR by 19 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  11. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

7 very recovery paced miles last night.

12. Equus Leather

3 for me in torrential rain. Marathon in T - 10 days, hope the weather is better then!

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I ran this a couple years ago, and I think it's a great place to start. It gets pretty crowded, and since you won't be lined up with the competitive runners, you'll be able to start out slowly and pace yourself until the crowd starts to thin out.

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

:slayer:

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

:worship:

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

5 miles after an upper body workout this evening.

17. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

Thank you for the compliments on the mile - My goal was sub 5 and I had some kick left in me the last 400 mrters or so.

Got in 7.9 miles this morning in CP in 51:31 for a 6:31 pace. Gunning for a sub 3 NYC, not going to be easy, but it's within reach.

18. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

myles, I hate you. One of these days I'm going to get you in an NYRR race, I swear.

13.5 7:45s for me this morning. Weather getting perfect after that hot summer.

19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

7.5 miles for me this morning. It was about 65º outside but very foggy. Luckily I am awake and out the door before I need to worry about any real traffic. I almost went back to bed when I saw how foggy it was when I got up but it was about 20º warmer outside than when I ran on Monday and I have no idea how many warm mornings like today are left this year so I got out and made use of it.

20. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

6 miles yesterday