How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

about 10 last night. At the end of the run I felt my right leg kind of give out and my knee hurt a bit. I slowed down a lot and there isn't lingering pain this AM so I think I should be okay. I will definitely take it very easy today.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

A good 5 miles this morning.

3. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Been feeling crappy so skipped this morning. After 5 hours of conference calls I decided to go out and run anyway. Got in around 6.2 miles on a nice cool fall day for Northern California....

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

More walk/run this morning. Got in about 3 miles of running. Taking advantage of this enforced moderation to see if I can convert to landing on my forefoot in the barefoot style. Felt pretty good, but the calf is a *lot* more involved. Does anyone else go barefoot/Vibram/minimalist? I doubt that I'll go fully barefoot due to the hazards of running in the city, but I'm definitely leaning toward trying the Vibrams or a minimalist shoe. Ran today in some thin-soled Adidas that I typically use as a casual shoe.

5. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

squeezed in slightly over 2 this morning before work

6. samblackbones

Re: The shoe question. After I got out of a cast last august I totally changed my stride (to strike with the forefoot). I didn't change footwear right away, but I did do drills (eg marching in place) to get familiar with the proper form. After about a month of constantly sore calves I began to run much more comfortably/quickly than ever before. I did start wearing more minimal footwear after the fact (but have recently been reverting to more conventional trainers for most of my mileage).
    Try running barefoot on grass also, I do that for about 10 miles a weak total at the end of other runs and it helps I think.

7. samblackbones

also, 7 tonight easy

8. sugarbutch

Are you talking about 100 Ups? I tried those yesterday, but I felt like I was either doing it wrong, or the lesson it teaches is pretty subtle. I'll try running on grass.

Thanks, Sam.

9. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

also running up hills helps with the calves.

i actually had to google this forefoot/heel strike business after reading, i have no idea what i'm doing. i think i'm usually landing forefoot, but i'm wearing cushioned shoes which probably doesn't make sense then. but i've never had running injuries in 10 years so i feel like changing up could be a recipe for disaster.

10. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

11. samblackbones

Running on grass helps a lot in terms of developing some of the smaller stablizing muscles in your legs.
    Check out this drill vid from Pete Mcgill - a great masters runner. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17578
    These guys know what they are doing (even if the video is cheesy)

I am not going to the starting line healthy as I would like tomorrow. I am feeling some pain in my groin and I am sore in general. Going to shut down the workouts for a few weeks and try to get rested up before a turkey trot on thanksgiving.

12. samblackbones

On a seperate note - Best of luck to posters about11oclock and Mylesmyles who I believe are both running the INGnyc marathon tomorrow.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

6 miles this morning.

14. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

somewhere between 6 and 7, unfortunately reawakened a hip injury i thought was on its way out. i hate getting old.

15. sugarbutch

You're probably naturally running with decent form. I would say ten years without injury is its own endorsement.

I did see that. It's what reinvigorated my desire to try to relearn my form.

The drills seem like they would be useful. Thanks! I wonder why they specifically disparaged the barefoot-style shoes. Watching all of the people in the video, it seemed like they're running on their forefoot. I'll have to figure out where I can do these drills, though. My regular spot is around a lake with the only field at a high school which is in session when I run.