Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

about 10 last night. At the end of the run I felt my right leg kind of give out and my knee hurt a bit. I slowed down a lot and there isn't lingering pain this AM so I think I should be okay. I will definitely take it very easy today.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

A good 5 miles this morning.

3. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Been feeling crappy so skipped this morning. After 5 hours of conference calls I decided to go out and run anyway. Got in around 6.2 miles on a nice cool fall day for Northern California....

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

More walk/run this morning. Got in about 3 miles of running. Taking advantage of this enforced moderation to see if I can convert to landing on my forefoot in the barefoot style. Felt pretty good, but the calf is a *lot* more involved. Does anyone else go barefoot/Vibram/minimalist? I doubt that I'll go fully barefoot due to the hazards of running in the city, but I'm definitely leaning toward trying the Vibrams or a minimalist shoe. Ran today in some thin-soled Adidas that I typically use as a casual shoe.

5. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

squeezed in slightly over 2 this morning before work

6. samblackbones

Re: The shoe question. After I got out of a cast last august I totally changed my stride (to strike with the forefoot). I didn't change footwear right away, but I did do drills (eg marching in place) to get familiar with the proper form. After about a month of constantly sore calves I began to run much more comfortably/quickly than ever before. I did start wearing more minimal footwear after the fact (but have recently been reverting to more conventional trainers for most of my mileage).
    Try running barefoot on grass also, I do that for about 10 miles a weak total at the end of other runs and it helps I think.

7. samblackbones

also, 7 tonight easy

8. sugarbutch

Are you talking about 100 Ups? I tried those yesterday, but I felt like I was either doing it wrong, or the lesson it teaches is pretty subtle. I'll try running on grass.

Thanks, Sam.

9. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

also running up hills helps with the calves.

i actually had to google this forefoot/heel strike business after reading, i have no idea what i'm doing. i think i'm usually landing forefoot, but i'm wearing cushioned shoes which probably doesn't make sense then. but i've never had running injuries in 10 years so i feel like changing up could be a recipe for disaster.

10. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

11. samblackbones

Running on grass helps a lot in terms of developing some of the smaller stablizing muscles in your legs.
    Check out this drill vid from Pete Mcgill - a great masters runner. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17578
    These guys know what they are doing (even if the video is cheesy)

I am not going to the starting line healthy as I would like tomorrow. I am feeling some pain in my groin and I am sore in general. Going to shut down the workouts for a few weeks and try to get rested up before a turkey trot on thanksgiving.

12. samblackbones

On a seperate note - Best of luck to posters about11oclock and Mylesmyles who I believe are both running the INGnyc marathon tomorrow.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

6 miles this morning.

14. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

somewhere between 6 and 7, unfortunately reawakened a hip injury i thought was on its way out. i hate getting old.

15. sugarbutch

You're probably naturally running with decent form. I would say ten years without injury is its own endorsement.

I did see that. It's what reinvigorated my desire to try to relearn my form.

The drills seem like they would be useful. Thanks! I wonder why they specifically disparaged the barefoot-style shoes. Watching all of the people in the video, it seemed like they're running on their forefoot. I'll have to figure out where I can do these drills, though. My regular spot is around a lake with the only field at a high school which is in session when I run.