1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

Any of you runners suffer from jumpers knee? i dont know how common it is with runners?

2. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Any of you runners suffer from jumpers knee? i dont know how common it is with runners?

It's common for women who are long distance runners. Here's a pubmed study:

Yet again, doing squats is the answer!

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

today: dragged my tired ass over 5 1/3 miles, on four hours' sleep. Still tired.

4. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

Ground out 6.7 miles today...not pretty, not fast , not even pretty fast but, by gawd I did it! [​IMG]

5. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

It's common for women who are long distance runners. Here's a pubmed study:

Yet again, doing squats is the answer!

Squats is the answer? thats what eccentric training is?

6. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Squats is the answer? thats what eccentric training is?

Eccentric means the negative load when you're lifting a weight caused by lengthening the muscle. Say you're doing a press, the eccentric part of the exercise is when you're lowering the weight to your chest. The concentric part is where you're pushing the weight out and contracting your chest.

Squats help strengthen the knee extensors. The study just points out that strengthening the eccentric portion of the knee extensors is beneficial. Thus, you should gain this specific strength when going down for a squat (lowering your body into squat position).

Of course, squats must be done properly with correct form to be effective (they might even be damaging if your form is way out of whack). If your knee problems are bad then I'd see a professional about it. Otherwise, read up on squats and their benefits. Squatting is the king of exercises for a reason.

7. Fatto_in_Italia

Fatto_in_Italia Well-Known Member

squats it is then!
    Still suffering from my runners knee. Did run 3 miles on a treadmill today, but that's not the place where I wanna train for a (semi) marathon.

8. why

why Senior member

squats it is then!
    Still suffering from my runners knee. Did run 3 miles on a treadmill today, but that's not the place where I wanna train for a (semi) marathon.

Why are you running when you still have Runner's Knee? It's not going to heal as long as you keep running.

9. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

squats it is then! Still suffering from my runners knee. Did run 3 miles on a treadmill today, but that's not the place where I wanna train for a (semi) marathon.
    Sweet. A new convert! Can't stress this enough: do a lot of research on squats and spend a lot of time learning the proper form before going heavy weights. Here are some starting points: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Squat http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1736931 Also, stop running for a bit to rehab the knee like why suggests The two articles advocate different bar positions, but following either program will safely build lower body strength if done properly.

10. why

why Senior member

Sweet. A new convert!

Can't stress this enough: do a lot of research on squats and spend a lot of time learning the proper form before going heavy weights.

Here are some starting points:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Squat
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1736931

Also, stop running for a bit to rehab the knee like why suggests

The two articles advocate different bar positions, but following either program will safely build lower body strength if done properly.

Powerlifting stances for squats are generally not very effective for runners and it'd probably be best to follow the Starting Strength guide.

11. Fatto_in_Italia

Why are you running when you still have Runner's Knee? It's not going to heal as long as you keep running.

Well, as I posted before, it doesn't hurt at all till after a couple mile. I don't run any longer distances at all anymore.
    Today I ran 2x 1.5 mile in the gym on a treadmill as a warm up. With those short distances I do notice my right knee is a little bit weaker than my left knee, but it feels far from wrong. It just feels like I can't 'hold' the balance very well. I suspect the muscles around my knee can't keep up with the shocks during running..
    If I write it down like this, strengthening the muscles makes sense.. But then again, I might just write it down, so it confirms my own suspicion. Either way, I'm gonna give it a shot and I'll post the outcome asap.

12. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Powerlifting stances for squats are generally not very effective for runners and it'd probably be best to follow the Starting Strength guide.

The second article actually suggests using the high-bar Olympic squat style. Rippetoe in SS advocates using the low bar position, which is more similar to the power lifting stance. I prefer the high-bar position and Oly squat since I plan on adding more cleans and snatches to my routine.

13. username79

username79 Senior member

4 this morning. Easy 2 tonight because I was bored.

Had runners knee. Switched shoes after taking two weeks off. No more pain. Addicted to running, was very shitty to take two weeks off and bike instead.

14. quevola

quevola Senior member

5 miles on the tread - for the first time in my life I'm really enjoying running[​IMG]

15. why

why Senior member

Rippetoe's squats are all fucked up really. They're more beneficial for most people than powerlifting squats and a lot easier to learn than Olympic squats, but they're almost a good morning.

16. Fatto_in_Italia

Sweet. A new convert! Can't stress this enough: do a lot of research on squats and spend a lot of time learning the proper form before going heavy weights. Here are some starting points: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Squat http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1736931 Also, stop running for a bit to rehab the knee like why suggests The two articles advocate different bar positions, but following either program will safely build lower body strength if done properly.
    thanks for the links. I'm definitely gonna read a lot before i perform a squat as I can easily see how things can go wrong, on for example your back, if you don't do 'em right.

17. DNW

DNW Senior member

2+2 today, at a moderate pace. Felt great.

18. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

5.1 at 8:39 pace.

-Jeff

19. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    zero and I have my big ass belly as proof it's a god damn shame

20. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

3.5 Miles
    32 Minutes.