How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Guy probably read something in an out dated exercise manual. As long as you take care of your body ie stretch, manage weight, eat enough, recover etc . . . the volume of running you do shouldn't matter. That said, blasting 150 miles a week at a 6 minute pace might leave you crippled at the age of 30, one of the reasons most kenyans don't have long careers. Train smart and listen to your body and you will probably be fine. 12 miles a day is serious volume - enough to be in really good marathon/half marathon shape.
    got out for 8 or nine this AM, but will double tonight.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ what he said. I'm 40 and banging out 30+ a week, no knee problems to speak of. (and I don't stretch)

Oh, since I'm in this thread. yesterday - 13.3 miles in 1:46, on a really warm morning. Today I slept in for various reasons, but I felt like I could knock out 5 or so miles.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Sorry for the multipost...this new server is killing me.

4. NewYorkIslander

5. NewYorkIslander

A pretty emotional 5 miles today. I tried staying away from all the memorials and all the TV coverage this weekend. This brought it right back home. 2000 people don't sound like many, but when each one has their own name on a piece of paper,it stretches miles...from the Bay Ridge Memorial, all art work by local public school students.
    Some brave firefighters, one from Bay Ridge and one a hockey teammate...RIP fellas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

a tick under 6 for me this evening. NYR, amazing looking tribute. Some great kids down there in bay ridge it seems.

7. samblackbones

can't imagine what nyc was like yesterday.
    2nd Run today was 7 w/ 6 progressing 650>550. This was unplanned but I had picked up some new ADIzero "Tempos" and wanted to give them a crack. Felt good.
    Boston Registration Day One (for people with times 20 minutes faster than the Qualifying standard) has come to a close. I am anxiously awaiting wednesday AM when I will get a crack at registering. I have the BQ2 standard met, being 10 minutes faster, so hopefully it wont sell out.

8. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

got in 5.71 in 39:06 this morning in Central Park. Still working back to where I want to be but there are signs of progress.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

track Tuesday, not much sleep last night but still banged out 3 x 1200 in 6:40/mi pace.

10. Dr Nemo

Dr Nemo Senior member

I'm 62, have run for 30 years, compete at the marathon distance, and run up to 90 miles a week.
    IMHO, training sensibly, listening to your body, and enjoying the thrilling gift of running is what it's about.
    This morning it was 7mi including one mile at 90% effort, pointing toward Twin Cities in 3 weeks.

11. samblackbones

Track Tuesday is in the hills for me right now. . . . Hill repeats are so good for fitness and strength but lack the excitement/speed of the track proper.
    About to get out for 1st run of the day.
    6 in early PM
    8 ish Tonight w/ 6 x .3 mile hill @ 5:10 pace. Did workout with the enormous San Diego Track Club, which was awesome because there were a lot of people running close to my pace.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

12. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Fast 4 miles this afternoon. It was 95 degrees, but I ran well.

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

45 degrees this morning. Amazing what a little crisp nip in the air can do for upping one's pace. 5 miles.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I did 3.5 miles in 24 minutes this morning which is very good for me time-wise. I think the fact that it felt about 10ยบ cooler than I expected when I got outside motivated me to get done a bit quicker (it also motivated me to shorten my planned route!).

Right after I started my run, I ran across the path of a couple skunks within a couple hundred yards of each other. I wasn't sprayed but that's always one of my biggest fears on my predawn runs. I'd also hate to have to call in to work using the excuse of "Sprayed by a skunk".

I agree with others that this seems to be really outdated and/or inaccurate advice. There is so much more to it than how far and how often you run. I remember seeing a journal article from the sports medicine program at SDSU (or some other university in California) that the one single biggest factor that you have control over in regards to how your knees, back, etc. hold up to running over a period of years is your weight and that shedding just 5 pounds had some hugely positive effect on lessening the burden placed on your joints when running.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I awoke around 4:30 a.m. for my run because I had to get to work very early. Ran my usual 4.5 in my fastest pace ever.