How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

6 miles this morning.

2. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

6 miles this morning for me as well.

3. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

9 pm last night. Found out that I am going to be pacing the 3:05 group for a local marathon in a few months . . . Will be a challenge but I have heard it is a really cool experience, and hopefully I will help some people get BQ'd

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I got in just under 12 miles in about an hour and 45 minutes. I was nearly a mile down a road on my route when I got to a spot with water running across the road about 1.5'-2' deep very swiftly for about 100'. It was a road I wasn't familiar with and I was already about 5 miles from home and didn't want to finish the rest of my run absolutely drenched and muddy so I had to turn around and head back to the previous road. I actually stood there watching the water for a few minutes hoping that somebody in a truck would come by and offer to ferry me across it. lol

5. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Approx. 16 miles today.
    -7 days till competition :slayer:

6. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

7. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Ah, the legend of Saint Christopher.

8. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

5 miles for me. Decent pace too.

9. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Good Luck!
    i am racing next weekend, but only a xc 5k that should be low key.
    15.5 for me tonight easy-ish in just about a 6:50 pace the whole way.

10. Sancho Panzo Christ

Sancho Panzo Christ Senior member

question for the long distance runners here, motivated more by curiosity than anything else:

so i begin my run today, and before i'm a mile into it i meet a guy whom i see running every once in a while. i've never spoken to him before, other than to say "hello" in passing, but he stops me to offer some unsolicited advice. he asks me how far i run every day, and i estimated that on a good day i probably get a little under 12 miles. he says with an air of confidence, "you should only go 3-4 miles a day at the most, otherwise you're sure to run into knee problems in older age." i'd never really thought too much about this, and was inclined to be skeptical, but i listened to this guy for a while and thanked him and continued.

after i finished, i decided to ask my father what he thought about this (he's a retired surgeon, and ran over 15 miles a day well past his 60th birthday), and his first response was to laugh. he basically said that, although everybody's body is different, i shouldn't worry about it, really at all. his advise was to cut back on it, only when and if i begin to have pains. he noted that he never had any problems of this sort when he was a runner.

i used to read this thread a bit, and know that there are some people quite knowledgeable in the subject, so i ask what you think on this--is this guy full of shit, or is he on the money, or somewhere in between?

11. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

9 last night, actually ran over to the WTC site to see what the scene was like and then home. tourists everywhere.

12. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Thanks! My biggest concern is the nutrition / digestion and my ambition. I tried eating "proper food" before running but it was kinda shitty (literally) so I decided just to eat a banana before and the evening before more carbs. Hope this will suffice to keep up my pace....

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I've been working out about three days a week with weights for the past few months again and I want to add some cardio, so I'm trying to get back into running after 25+ years since HS cross-country and track.

I ran a few miles on the treadmill over the past 2 weeks and then ran/walked a 5K yesterday, avg. 12.20 min per mile.

Think I'm going to start running on my off days when I'm not lifting. Maybe do another 5K in about three weeks and see if I can improve. Right now its mostly about rebuilding my stamina so I can run the whole way rather than walking parts of it. After that I'll worry about increasing speed/distance.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This morning I ran 4.5 at a good pace, with an all out sprint at the end. I've been feeling good all day.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

4.6. I can feel the one knee, but it doesn't hurt, so I guess I'll keep going.

BTW, has anyone done a Warrior Dash? It looks like fun, but I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience.