1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

4.6 yesterday at an easy pace to see if my knee was feeling any better. I think it's fine. I'll try for longer tomorrow.

Parker, have you tried Lake Merced? It's 4.6 around and has about 160 feet of elevation change.

2. samblackbones

samblackbones Distinguished Member

I am getting in some over-distance stuff in advance of Long Beach Half Marathon (Oct. 9) and a few 8k's this fall. I was going to aim at a full in October but I want to get a good xc season in (I am just going run the local invitational/open college meets unattached).
    Bigger goal is Boston '12 (and possibly one more marathon between then and now).

Just about to get out for what I hope will be 15-18 with 8-10 uptempo at the end of the run (close to 6:10-6:20 pace)

will report back tonight.

3. flambard

flambard Senior Member

10.25 miles this morning. 10 minutes, 53 secs / per mile pace.

I have just broken into the 8 - 9 - 10 mile runs starting about two months ago.

Everything o.k. thus far except for a foot cramp that will sometimes start up around the 8 - 9 mile point. Always on the right foot. The spot is at the bottom of the foot where the second toe is attached to the foot. It will feel as thought the socks are bunching up in the area, then soon enough that very spot will feel as though there is a small stone there when I push off of it. (I have checked - the socks are not bunching.)

I have resolved the problem by placing my right foot down in a flatter attitude, and trying not to bend the foot much as I push off, using more of the foot. Also, I can stop and just walk a little ways before restarting. Today the cramp started coming on but I ran throught it and I resolved to shop for new running shoe tomorrow. I have been running in medium worn Nike Lunar Elite+ I will be open to New Balance for my next pair.

Has anyone else had cramps in this area? How did you deal with it?

4. ribkin

ribkin Senior Member

7.5 miles, up from the usual 5.

Don't ask about pace though ;)

5. samblackbones

I would recommend stopping by a specialty running shop (preferably not a big chain) because 9/10 the people there will take the time to fit you into a shoe that is best for your stride/mileage/foot etc. Generally all running shoes cost about the same anyways (with a few exceptions) so for your next pair you might as well go with what fits best. It sounds like you could be having a shoe problem to me, I have had a similar feeling and I switched shoes and it went away

I run in New Balance 890's at the moment and they are a really good shoe.

Got in 15 today with 4 at 6:30 pace and 5 at 6:10 pace with the rest as a cool down.

6. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Quote:

7. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

I ran 5 miles around noon in the lingering rain and gusty winds of hurricane Irene here in Puerto Rico. It was treacherous because of fallen branches and trees, huge puddles, and sundry debris on the sidewalks and streets. It was a very sloppy and tiring run for me, and I got a bit dehydrated in the final mile or so. Although the power is out at the hotel, I was still able to take a warm shower because of its generator heating the water, and it felt oh so good.

8. Dr Nemo

Dr Nemo Senior Member

Sam has a good point. Be sure you get a good fit from a good running store. It's also a good idea to rotate shoes on alternate days. The shoes to recover resiliency and your legs/ankles/feet get a more versatile workout. If you only have one brand, consider an alternate pair of a different brand. For example,I'll rotate among Asics Gel Cumulus, Nike Zoom Vomero or Mizuno Wave Rider 13 on alternate days (Not as stylish as Sam's mismatched shoes in that 5K photo, though!). You might also try to see if switching to an alternate shoe relieves the problem.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

4.6. Felt good and strong. I'm focusing on lengthening my stride, and it seems like it helps me maintain a faster pace.

10. samblackbones

10.25 today at roughly 7:15 pace.

11. antirabbit

antirabbit Distinguished Member

Did 1.5 miles UPHILL on a hill climber in PT today. Good effort in 10 minutes, then I asked to just stay on it for another 15.
    Goood lawrd did I sweat alot. Felt good to use all the muscles I have been rebuilding in my legs for the past 16 weeks.
    No pain at all in the ankle.
    Friday is my first day back with full on running. They want to have my run on a dreadmill in PT on Thursday to observe if I am actually ready, then let me run 5K on Friday.
    Regardless, I will likely run either way on Friday.

12. samblackbones

excellent!
    glad to hear that you are making good progress.

6 today early nd another 10-12 tonight with a workout

13. flambard

flambard Senior Member

Thanks Dr. Nemo and samblackbones for your advice. Yes, I am definatley open to New Balance. I had New Balance a couple of years ago, they were great. I have also had Asics, Saucony, etc etc etc. Curiously, I have never worn Adidas. I go way back to the original running craze that came trotting out of the Pacific Northwest and spread through the country in the 1970s. The first pair of running shoes I bought was a brand named OSAGA. They were great for me. Everything was Made in USA back then, including Nike, I believe.

Have a great week, everyone!

14. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior Member

^ I do that, too. I also have orthopaedic insoles and when I am only running at slow pace I might still not use them once a week just to alternate the stress on the ankles / feet.

sam one swift question as you seem to be the most advanced runner in here. I have a halfmarathon competition upcoming on which I am aiming to run around 1:25hrs or so.
    I am currently wondering on how to plan the week before the contest... I thought something like that:

Sunday: Long run
    Tuesday: 5x1000m in the pace of the contest
    Thursday: Jogging in basic endurance 1 pace (what's the proper name for this in English?) around 1h-1h15
    Saturday: 30min basic endurance
    Sunday: Competition

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

5 easily miles last night...tired