How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Hi all,
    Been keeping up, just dragging my way through running depression. Ran a half in 8 degrees two weeks ago and I've been hating running since then. No rest for the weary though--back to back 1/2s 8/21 and 8/28.
    On Topic: 9 monday, 5 tuesday, 5-6 planned tonight. Also got in a yoga session last night, was great, plan on doing it some more.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I ran 5 easy miles this morning. I had a very poor night's rest and thought it would affect my running, but it didn't.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

+1 to LawrenceMD's reponse, and I'll speak from my own (relatively recent) experience and suggest that you may want to try different shoes and/or look into custom orthotic inserts. Another (free!) thing I did which made a difference for me when my max distance was 2-3 miles was to stop after about a mile or so and stretch. This made a huge difference for me as I became accustomed to running. Good luck!

Today: 6.1, including a PR for the mile on mile 5. I realized my stride was getting kinda choppy, so I opened it up and found about 30s/mi in pace. That felt good, so I decided to see how fast I could run the rest of the mile. I was dipping down under 8m/mi for a good portion (this is nearly sprinting for me), and it felt great!

4. roryben

roryben Senior member

8mi - 57:04.
    Boom.

Any non-broscience tips on avoiding plantar fasciitis? I don't want to go down the orthotics route. A guy in a running shop once told me it's actually mostly to do with calf tightness. I stretch my calves out before a run anyway but I wonder if anyone's got any tried and tested solutions?

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mine sometimes flares up at the beginning of the run, but then subsides. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful tips to share.

6. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Run on a new track and get lost. Helps a lot if you're body is on survival mode :slayer:

7. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Howd it go?

Doubled (7 and 12 yesterday) with a workout,
    9 tonight
    trying to get to 90 for the week.

Re- above question about how long been running - I've been running for just less than two years and built up really slowly the first year, took a small break and then really got going

8. Dr Nemo

Dr Nemo Senior member

Ran 10 miles on rolling hills in Michigan on vacation.

MoreFire--I do higher volume training. Started running 30 years ago. This is a 70mi/112km week for me and next week will be 80mi/128km. Sore calves can be the result of any number of causes from shoes to stretching. If you haven't yet, you might consider connecting with a running coach or sports massage therapist. Both have been a great help for me through the years.

9. about11oclock

Sam,

Whoops, ran a 1/2 in 80 degrees, not 8. Ran a semi-embarassing 1:35 after 1:27:30 2 months ago. Just paced myself terribly, not accounting for heat, went out in 6:30 for the first 5 then I just fell apart. It's all marathon training, at least. I'd be happy with the next two halves being in the 1:31 range, just need to pace better. And get back in shape.

10. samblackbones

Sounds like the conditions were terrible. Any deviation from ideal conditions takes its toll in a race, especially a half or full. Either way you ran your BQ pace!
    10 tonight in about 67 mins.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This morning a slower than usual 4.5 miles. I wasn't feeling too well but forged ahead regardless.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

almost 9 miles pushing my lil' boy...nice way to turn 34. The googoots slept more of the way, but woke up to give high five's at the end!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

13. samblackbones

Just over 5 last night at a horrifyingly slow pace. My brother's wedding rehersal dinner was earlier in the night, and we ate bar-b-q. I would up feeling like I had a meet backpack strapped to my stomach.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I ran 6 miles this morning. The weather was perfect, and I felt great. A really good run.

15. about11oclock

7.5 in the rain, yoga this week doing a body right./