Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Hi all,
    Been keeping up, just dragging my way through running depression. Ran a half in 8 degrees two weeks ago and I've been hating running since then. No rest for the weary though--back to back 1/2s 8/21 and 8/28.
    On Topic: 9 monday, 5 tuesday, 5-6 planned tonight. Also got in a yoga session last night, was great, plan on doing it some more.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I ran 5 easy miles this morning. I had a very poor night's rest and thought it would affect my running, but it didn't.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

+1 to LawrenceMD's reponse, and I'll speak from my own (relatively recent) experience and suggest that you may want to try different shoes and/or look into custom orthotic inserts. Another (free!) thing I did which made a difference for me when my max distance was 2-3 miles was to stop after about a mile or so and stretch. This made a huge difference for me as I became accustomed to running. Good luck!

Today: 6.1, including a PR for the mile on mile 5. I realized my stride was getting kinda choppy, so I opened it up and found about 30s/mi in pace. That felt good, so I decided to see how fast I could run the rest of the mile. I was dipping down under 8m/mi for a good portion (this is nearly sprinting for me), and it felt great!

4. roryben

roryben Senior member

8mi - 57:04.
    Boom.

Any non-broscience tips on avoiding plantar fasciitis? I don't want to go down the orthotics route. A guy in a running shop once told me it's actually mostly to do with calf tightness. I stretch my calves out before a run anyway but I wonder if anyone's got any tried and tested solutions?

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mine sometimes flares up at the beginning of the run, but then subsides. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful tips to share.

6. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Run on a new track and get lost. Helps a lot if you're body is on survival mode :slayer:

7. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Howd it go?

Doubled (7 and 12 yesterday) with a workout,
    9 tonight
    trying to get to 90 for the week.

Re- above question about how long been running - I've been running for just less than two years and built up really slowly the first year, took a small break and then really got going

8. Dr Nemo

Dr Nemo Senior member

Ran 10 miles on rolling hills in Michigan on vacation.

MoreFire--I do higher volume training. Started running 30 years ago. This is a 70mi/112km week for me and next week will be 80mi/128km. Sore calves can be the result of any number of causes from shoes to stretching. If you haven't yet, you might consider connecting with a running coach or sports massage therapist. Both have been a great help for me through the years.

9. about11oclock

Sam,

Whoops, ran a 1/2 in 80 degrees, not 8. Ran a semi-embarassing 1:35 after 1:27:30 2 months ago. Just paced myself terribly, not accounting for heat, went out in 6:30 for the first 5 then I just fell apart. It's all marathon training, at least. I'd be happy with the next two halves being in the 1:31 range, just need to pace better. And get back in shape.

10. samblackbones

Sounds like the conditions were terrible. Any deviation from ideal conditions takes its toll in a race, especially a half or full. Either way you ran your BQ pace!
    10 tonight in about 67 mins.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This morning a slower than usual 4.5 miles. I wasn't feeling too well but forged ahead regardless.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

almost 9 miles pushing my lil' boy...nice way to turn 34. The googoots slept more of the way, but woke up to give high five's at the end!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

13. samblackbones

Just over 5 last night at a horrifyingly slow pace. My brother's wedding rehersal dinner was earlier in the night, and we ate bar-b-q. I would up feeling like I had a meet backpack strapped to my stomach.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I ran 6 miles this morning. The weather was perfect, and I felt great. A really good run.

15. about11oclock

7.5 in the rain, yoga this week doing a body right./