How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

5 painful miles in ~ 40.

2. PMac

PMac Well-Known Member

I use some of the P90x workouts, tailored around my running schedule. Mostly push-ups, pull-ups, an ab workout and some dumbbell exercises. I try to do these exercises 3 days/week(evenings) and run 5-6 days/week(mornings).

3. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Don't have any dumbbells, neither a chance to do pull ups at home. I do have a Theraband though :slayer:
    Gotta check out the P90x workouts, thanks for the tip!

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

An easy 4 miles this morning on the Riverwalk and along Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. Weather and scenery were great, and I felt good all the way. Sprinting to beat changing lights as I made my way back to the hotel was exhilarating. Still amazed at how I've been able to get back into running without any ill effects whatsoever, at least so far.:D

5. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Aside from some pretty minimal sit-ups and push ups I do after runs, I try to get in a set of hill repeats each week, or at least a hard run on a hilly course. Running up hill hard develops core and leg strength, and is what many of the east africans do in lieu of a formal gym workout. Something like 12 X 400 up hill with equal recovery (or easy jogging down hill). I am particularly lazy about doing supplemental strength work, and I know it would benefit my running, but it is hard to get motivated at the end of a run.

Yesterday doubled (11 and 7). Worked in a 2.5k repeat at 5k effort last night. Probably about 5:15 pace.
    and 11 tonight. Worked in 1 mile at 5:15 pace (watch/track confirmed)
    Will try to double easy tomorrow so I will have fresh legs for a sunday morning 5k.

6. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Isn't the best idea to do it right after running anyway because you're body is already exhausted from running. I would completely cut running from your strength routine. That being said, I know it's hard to get going, I usually do my workout in the evening during watching TV...

AND I dont do it to improve running but in order to prevent myself from getting hurt. I've made some pretty bad experiences when I did some extensive running (marathon distance) and at the same time did not care enough for core strength (only did yoga at that time). The result was a fatigue fracture after my first marathon after which I wasnt able to run for about half a year. That was pretty annoying I tell you. Don't want that to happen again, hence the interest in tweaking my workout routine...

edit. And to stay on topic: I ran about 15-16 miles today.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. PMac

PMac Well-Known Member

Ran an easy 10 miles this morning, was good to get a longer run in. Have only done a few double digit runs since my spring marathon.

8. samblackbones

8 easy today in anticipation of tomorrow's 5k.
    Looking at the times from last year, it is a slow course and a small crowd, so I am hoping to do well.

9. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

6 miles yesterday, 7 today, may go out later tonight for another 4 if I don't eat too many meatballs at my folks for Sunday (new trail Newtons)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. marvinbernard

marvinbernard Member

11. samblackbones

11 or 12 this AM with a 5k cross country race in 17:29. 4th overall and 1st in age group. It was a tough course, and I was happy to be in contention for 2nd, but a couple of guys just had an extra gear coming down the stretch. I also got harassed by a dog midway through the 3rd mile, which wasn't too bad, but kind of broke my concentration.
    Will get out for a few more tonight, and hopefully that will bring me to 90 for the week.

12. supermidget

supermidget Senior member

took an easy 3 in 21:30~ this morning.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

An easy 5 this morning while still in Chicago. Started a little rough but ended up feeling great. In fact, I'd planned on 3 but I lost track of time and how far I had run as I ran along Lake Shore Drive.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Dad made sausage and brocciole, no shot I'm running again tonight...lol.

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I left for about a 7 mile run this afternoon but decided to run down a portion of trail I'd never been down before and then got lost running through a local private school campus. My planned 7 miles turned into a very hot, sweaty, and painful 10 miles.