How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

it's weird, i took 5 weeks off from running to hopefully let a pinched nerve in my neck heal. it hasn't healed and in the meantime i'm going through running withdrawl. so on Sat i said fuck it. i'm going to go for a run to see what it feels like. did a hilly 4.4 at about 8:45. not bad after 5 weeks of just walking. then i paced my brother on the 10K of a tri on Sun. and did an easy 4 today. but it's like i'm trying to makeup for all the time lost and all i want to do is run. will probably go for a swim tomorrow but it's just weird how the mind works sometimes. and the neck feels ok. not better but not worse. so i may continue running. it really is addictive.

-Jeff

3. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Jeff - I hope that nerve works itself out - I know that there is a chiropractor in my running club who would probably tell you she could cure you in 2 sessions. For a fee. In the meanwhile it sounds like youve been able to get some volume in the past couple days - awesome.
    Just under 10 miles tonight in about 70 minutes. No watch for a change.

4. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

8.5 last night once the sun went down. 4 this afternoon in the heat of the day to temper myself for the summer.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Okay, my motivation and mileage have suffered a bit lately due to school, work, fam, and a bout of PF that's resolving itself slowly. But here's the past few days:

Friday: 6.7 in 51 minutes
    Sat: 6.2 in 48 minutes
    Sun: 5.3 in 43 minutes - planned a long run but got out way too late into the sun, heat, and humidity. Bailed.
    Mon: didn't get out
    Today: 6.7 in 48:45. Felt unusually strong this morning. Got up extra early, drank extra coffee.

Started weekly track workouts but only longer intervals (800/1200) for now. Trying to incorporate yoga/core work, but not really feeling it. Ah well, still about 200 days to the marathon.

6. samblackbones

Good to see you back Thomas!
    Really run workout tonight
    20 X 200 w/ 200 meter jog recovery followed by 4 X 400
    200s all right around 35
    400s all about 68/69
    Feeling pretty strong coming into 4th of July 5k

7. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

2.56 in 15:43 along the East River. Was mixing in some speed work which felt good.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks Sam!

Today, a recovery run but not far from yesterday's pace after all, 5.3 miles in 40:30. I wanted to stop at 4 miles but pressed on for one more loop.

9. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

11. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

Yikes, I feel pretty inadequate, but I ran 2 miles in 20mins today [​IMG] However, I've been focusing on cycling for the past year and my running form is trash. My first mile was 7:55, which wasn't the worst time ever, but my legs just gave it up on the second. Still, I'm trying to get back to fitness, so any tips on training besides just getting out there and running (especially preventing those little tweaks and pains) would be appreciated.

12. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

4 miles ~ 33 mins

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Yikes, I feel pretty inadequate, but I ran 2 miles in 20mins today [​IMG] However, I've been focusing on cycling for the past year and my running form is trash. My first mile was 7:55, which wasn't the worst time ever, but my legs just gave it up on the second. Still, I'm trying to get back to fitness, so any tips on training besides just getting out there and running (especially preventing those little tweaks and pains) would be appreciated.
    I was the opposite... went to roadbiking from running. Although I could hang with a group ride out of sheer cardiovascular base from running, the isolation of specific muscles when pedaling left me with major cramps in my feet and quads. Biking became a sufferfest, while running was enjoyable and produced a runners high. My tip? Maybe try out minimalist shoes for just walking around. They don't have to be extreme like vibram 5 fingers. They even have the Puma H. Street back in production (I just bought a pair. They've been out of production since 2006). Anyway something really thin and flexible for just walking around (think super worn-in sperry boatshoes for casual use). even barefoot walking around the house yard (or just use thin $1 slippers). its a passive way build up those intrinsic muscles/tendons/bones gently - to help with those regular runs in your regular running shoes.

14. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

I was the opposite... went to roadbiking from running. Although I could hang with a group ride out of sheer cardiovascular base from running, the isolation of specific muscles when pedaling left me with major cramps in my feet and quads. Biking became a sufferfest, while running was enjoyable and produced a runners high. My tip? Maybe try out minimalist shoes for just walking around. They don't have to be extreme like vibram 5 fingers. They even have the Puma H. Street back in production (I just bought a pair. They've been out of production since 2006). Anyway something really thin and flexible for just walking around (think super worn-in sperry boatshoes for casual use). even barefoot walking around the house yard (or just use thin $1 slippers). its a passive way build up those intrinsic muscles/tendons/bones gently - to help with those regular runs in your regular running shoes.
    I hadn't thought about that sort of passive exercise before. I'll definitely try out what you suggested and see if it helps.

15. samblackbones

Along with what lawrence said, I would recommend trying to enjoy your running as much as possible by going at a comfortable pace and finding pleasant places to run. Soft surfaces also make running much more pleasant.
    10 for me today at high noon @ 7min pace. Nice and warm with cool ocean breeze.
    I need new trainers in the worst sort of way.