How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

havent posted here in a while but ive been running quite a bit lately.. over 50 mpw for sure, most of it on the treadmill though... kinda enjoying treadmill running (its how i started running, 5 or so years ago).

Anyway, tonight ran 12 miles on the treadmill with 0.5 incline, changed speed every mile, speed for each mile was: 8.9 mph, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0, 9.4, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 10.1, 10.1, 10.2, 9.1.

As for the shoe talk, i prefer lightweight trainers... i feel going too minimal leave me susceptible to injury, but normal trainers feel to heavy and dont work as well with my stride.
    Lately ive been wearing the nike LunarFly and the adidas adizero tempo for outdoor runs and using the adizero ace or these for treadmill running (i find i prefer lighter, lower shoe on the treadmill) :
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/desc...S-AADIOME.html ...
    people at the gym probably think im crazy.

2. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

2 mile warm up
    5k race: 17:12 (5th)
    Long run/shake out on tap later today.
    Report:
    I woke up to find that it was raining this morning and hoped that maybe the weather would discourage some fair weather folks that might be faster than me. I got to the course nice and early and kind of inspected it on my warm up run - it was a little bit more hilly than an ideal for a 5k track but I was fine with it.
    I got to the start and saw that there were some fast looking guys in high school track get ups and I knew that it was gonna be tough to hang on. The gun went off and I got out towards the front pretty early and almost immediately broke away from any significant pack. Went through the first mile in 5:18 and felt pretty rough, especially considering the second mile was uphill. I got passed by a real fast guy at that point and pushed the pace to hang in with him, but ended up with the second place guy (also very fast) trying to grind out another fast mile. my garmin is being difficult at the moment and not showing the splits on my computer, but I believe I fell off the pace and had a 5:34 for the second and a 5:39 for the third. (guessing) at around the 2.8 mile mark 2 guys made a move and passed me and I was left standing still - could not even try to cover.
    I ended up coming through just behind the 3/4 guys in a big PR at the distance. I think that I will run a smarter race my next 5k and not try to get out and rabbit so I have more left at the end.

Way to go Thomas!
    Killin it in the heat and humidity - awesome.
    Had to get in my long run today despite racing in the morning.
    After AM rain it was a breathtaking day - I ran 2 hrs easy (with a starbucks stop 100 minutes in)
    covered 16.2 miles.
    Most miles ever for me this week . . . doubles and an easy week last week helped make it easy.
    89 total.
    I was prepared to cut todays run short at any point if the body was not hangin but I felt solid.
    Hopefully I can stay fit and hover around 80 for 6-8 weeks.

awesome! high mileage = faster 5ks... it went the same way for me.. when i was puttin in 80+ consistently i worked my 5k down from just under 17 to just under 16... then i ran a marathon which kinda interrupted that rhythm and ive never quite got back to that fitness level again.

3. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Thanks man!
    I ran ten last night and it was real struggle - legs just feeling totally sluggish.
    I am almost done moving in to my new place which will be a huge relief, and will free up some time for more running!

4. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Did a quick 5 this afternoon in misty cold Brooklyn weather. This is NYC spring?

5. samblackbones

10.2 this afternoon - it was 85-86 out and after last nights miserable run I was happy that a 7:00 pace was feeling easy. This was the first truly hot and sunny run of the year for me. One of many more to come.
    Here is a picture of me at last sundays 5k for some comic relief. Looking at the pictures of myself running has given me a new degree of respect for how smooth the elite guys are, because I am NOT making it look easy at the end of the race:
    [​IMG]

6. samblackbones

doubled w another 6.6 on the treadmill at my new place
    ran a pogression from 7:40 mile down to a 6:00 w .7 cooldown
    its nice to have a treadmill so close at hand especially when doubling.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So, this is me around the finish of last weekend's half. I was soaked from the humidity - to the point where my shoes were squishing...which upsets me to an irrational degree.
    [​IMG]

I'd been taking it pretty easy this week, but went with 4 this morning - and it's back at 70 degrees and humid as heck - so I took my time on the last loop around the 'hood, and ended up doffing the shirt. I doubt I'll wear a shirt for any of my runs this season.

8. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

10.2 this afternoon - it was 85-86 out and after last nights miserable run I was happy that a 7:00 pace was feeling easy. This was the first truly hot and sunny run of the year for me. One of many more to come.
    Here is a picture of me at last sundays 5k for some comic relief. Looking at the pictures of myself running has given me a new degree of respect for how smooth the elite guys are, because I am NOT making it look easy at the end of the race:
    [​IMG]

ha. i love race pictures.. i have some OK ones from various past races i could post up. definitely have some from the end of races where im not looking so great.
    heres 2 from a half marathon a while back.. one in the first mile or 2 (looking relaxed) and one just a little before the finish (looking not at all relaxed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. samblackbones

great pics yall-
    I had to get out late tonight but I ended up having a solid 10 miler through my new neighborhood at night . . . great way to see a place.
    Haven't checked the garmin yet but I ran the first 8 at around 6:30 pace then eased off for the last two.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yesterday 4 miles in 32 minutes. Gonna try and crank out 5 again. My god it hurts...so out of shape!

11. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

12 this morning, sunny, two bridges, three boroughs. bring on Scotland 10K and brooklyn 1/2

12. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

The 59th St and Williamsburg bridges? Great route.

13.1 today in Hudson and Bergen counties.

13. Future.Style

Future.Style New Member

I am wondering, how do you guys have dedication to run? I need to jog, but I just do not have the proper dedication. I would love it if you guys can give me any tricks as to motivating myself to jog.

14. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

In some order:

1. Get old
    2. Get fat
    3. Get married
    4. Have kid(s)
    5. Get an iPhone
    6. Listen to podcasts

More seriously, it's hard until the first time you break the three miles in 30 minutes barrier. Then it's easy until 11 miles. So walk/run for thirty minutes until you can run the whole way, and then increase your speed as needed.