How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Also, people in this thread are really starting to put in work. It's awesome. I'll be there with you in a few weeks, but for now just maintenance.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Not sure what's going on in my head here, but I took the weekend off and didn't feel much better once I laced them up this morning. Legs felt heavy, and I finally decided that the Superfeet just aren't working for me - they hit my arch too far back. Oh and the shoes are too heavy. Whine whine whine, but about halfway through the run I decided to pick up the pace a bit and see if things improved, and they did - went from a 7:40 pace to a 7:20 pace and felt a bit better.

5.3 miles, 39:40.

half marathon's in three weeks, I'll have to concentrate on getting to bed early and logging the miles for the next couple of weeks - and I might eschew the taper this time unless I need a break. I'll look through my training log leading up to my better long runs and see how that pattern went.

3. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

Got in 4 runs in Central Park over the weekend (I already posted my Fri morning run).

Fri afternoon - 6.82 miles in 43:03
    Sat morning - 7.42 miles in 1:23:17 (recovery run)
    Sat Afternoon - 10:38 miles in 1:13:21
    Sun Afternoon - 12 miles in 1:22:58

First 40+ mile week of the year and it felt great.

4. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Got in 4 runs in Central Park over the weekend (I already posted my Fri morning run).

Fri afternoon - 6.82 miles in 43:03
    Sat morning - 7.42 miles in 1:23:17 (recovery run)
    Sat Afternoon - 10:38 miles in 1:13:21
    Sun Afternoon - 12 miles in 1:22:58

First 40+ mile week of the year and it felt great.

40+ mile weekend alone! Rock solid mileage with that double on Sat.

5. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

40+ mile weekend alone! Rock solid mileage with that double on Sat.

I'm running two 50 milers later this spring. One in May and one in June. I need these 40+ weeks to turn into 60 and 70+ weeks in the coming weeks before I taper down in late April.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

8 miles, 1:01:00.

Funny enough, the first 4 miles were effortless and easy - 30 minutes. But on the second half, the heat and humidity and headwind started dragging me down. Still, 31 minutes isn't bad, but I wonder how the next 6 months will be.

7. about11oclock

5.5 mile tempo, then 4 x 400 at a medium frisky pace, think they were 82, 82, 80, 75. Hungry.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

My last dread mill runs....I cant run inside any longer.
    SO far my metabolism experiment appears to be working-
    I do not bonk now.
    It does take a bit longer into a run to feel good.
    Im faster (cause Im lighter I suppose)-average pace is 8MM to 7:30MM, however, I have dipped to around 7MM typically after 3 miles when I am nice and warmed up.
    My water needs have increased significantly. I go through 20 OZ in 3 miles.
    My "fat" areas feel cold to the touch after a run, very odd.
    Now I will begin my outdoor running again, we will see how things go @ 10+ miles.
    I am training for a 50K in May and another in Sept. I want to be able to do these with out much of the typical support (cookies, junk food at aid stations), just water, electrolytes and gels if I have to.
    The PF is still lingering, but as I lighten my body weight, it seems to be creating less and less Achilles strain, thus, less pain under foot.

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just got back from my first dedicated cardio session in a very long time (i lift mostly). 30 min at 4.5 mph for a total of 2.25 miles. My heart rate at the end was 189.

How should I progress? More time? More speed? Aim for a lower heart rate? I'm new to cardio for training.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

more time, your heart rate is pretty high, more effort would get you in trouble.

11. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

My last dread mill runs....I cant run inside any longer.
    SO far my metabolism experiment appears to be working-
    I do not bonk now.
    It does take a bit longer into a run to feel good.
    Im faster (cause Im lighter I suppose)-average pace is 8MM to 7:30MM, however, I have dipped to around 7MM typically after 3 miles when I am nice and warmed up.
    My water needs have increased significantly. I go through 20 OZ in 3 miles.
    My "fat" areas feel cold to the touch after a run, very odd.
    Now I will begin my outdoor running again, we will see how things go @ 10+ miles.
    I am training for a 50K in May and another in Sept. I want to be able to do these with out much of the typical support (cookies, junk food at aid stations), just water, electrolytes and gels if I have to.
    The PF is still lingering, but as I lighten my body weight, it seems to be creating less and less Achilles strain, thus, less pain under foot.

This is awesome. I am guessing that becoming more metabolically efficient will help you a ton on those ultras, especially if you can draw on solid fuel sources.

Yesterday was my first day off in 17 days, and now I am off to the mountains. I think by taking rest at altitude I have been minimizing some of the fitness I lose by scaling back the mileage while out of town, but maybe that is all psychological.

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This morning, 4 miles. Still have to look out for icy patches on the road.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

5.2 miles in 45 minutes. Slow by the standards of this thread, but most of it was at close to 8 min/mile pace which is at the upper end of comfortable for me for this length of time. Slowly getting faster - I think I'm within striking distance of one of my 2011 goals - 6 miles in 45 minutes.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Just got back from my first dedicated cardio session in a very long time (i lift mostly). 30 min at 4.5 mph for a total of 2.25 miles. My heart rate at the end was 189.

How should I progress? More time? More speed? Aim for a lower heart rate? I'm new to cardio for training.

Longer runs at a slower pace for a while should help you develop your cardiovascular efficiency and resistance to injury.

Today, I planned on a recovery run and tossed the green SuperFeet that were hitting too far back towards the heel, and forgot my usual cheap foam arch supports too, and I went back to the GT-2140 that I'm starting to hate for their clunky heaviness. So I wasn't expecting much out of today's run - especially since it's getting balmy out there...but I popped off 5.3 miles in 41:04 which was a pleasant surprise since I didn't feel like I was working all that hard. More pleasantly, the first four miles were at 7:45 pace, and the last 1.3 miles at 7:30.

15. about11oclock

6 easy miles for me tonight, starting to feel stronger, ready to attack spring with vigor. Almost shorts time!