1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

I am 6-6.1", I would like to be in the 180 range,maybe I could get down to 175 but wouldn't really want to go any further as I did that before and didn't really feel good. I think that if I can keep the weight in the 175-180 range,I should be fine. I didn't realize that even couple of pounds can be crucial,that's good to know.

I also think that I need to build up slowly,I wasn't running during the colder days,was just too lazy and plus the cold killed all the desire, I probably need to start slowly and add 10% every week.
    Also going to a store to get fitted this week, I usually bought Asics running shoes based on my own research but never had the professional fitting done so it may improve things for me.

I agree that dropping a few pounds and going gradually is the way to go. As for shoes, getting fitted should help you avoid excess pronation which is tough on your knees - but only someone who's watching you will be able to discern whether that's even an issue: some people don't have that issue. Since you're 180+ you may get pushed into the heavier shoes, which may or may not be appropriate for your gait, etc. But if you go with a lighter shoe, definitely get a second pair to rotate: wearing the same shoe on consecutive days will wear your legs out.

2. forex

forex Distinguished Member

I agree that dropping a few pounds and going gradually is the way to go. As for shoes, getting fitted should help you avoid excess pronation which is tough on your knees - but only someone who's watching you will be able to discern whether that's even an issue: some people don't have that issue. Since you're 180+ you may get pushed into the heavier shoes, which may or may not be appropriate for your gait, etc. But if you go with a lighter shoe, definitely get a second pair to rotate: wearing the same shoe on consecutive days will wear your legs out.

Thanks, that's good to know. The store I am going to actually makes you run on the threadmill and tapes it, they then analyze it. This is the first time I am doing it but I hope they can actually offer me the shoes that are going to be good for me. We'll see how it turns out.
    The regular store I went to the other day had a pad to determine whether or not I have high,medium or low arch and offered to put additional cushion as insoles. At this point, I am not sure if I need more cushion or stability,I guess if there is nothing wrong with how I run and step my feet, I just need more cushion because of my weight.

3. Knisse

Knisse Senior Member

About 5KM today, it was snowy and very slippery so did not go further.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

How the hell do you guys run more than 10 miles consistantly? My knees start to hurt after the 5th mile, well, I can still run but it gets uncomfortable. FWIW, I run on asphalt and I am around 180-185lbs. So,what am I doing wrong?

GREAT answervvv

Regarding the discomfort in the knees - there can be any number of reasons why you start to become uncomfortable at that point - IT band syndrome, runners knee, wrong footwear, striding REALLY heavily on your heals, running too much too fast too soon, etc. etc. For a quick fix you might go to a local running specialty shop and get fitted for the right shoe. If you have already done that, try to reduce the distance you run but run more days a weak, and, whenever possible run on trails or surfaces softer than pavement. If you are not already running frequently you shouldn't need to run much past 5 miles during the week with a longer run on the weekends. by building up your mileage slowly (most authorities say don't add more than 10% more miles per week) the entire running process will probably become much more pleasant.

5. supermidget

supermidget Senior Member

short indoor track run of 5 mins warmup followed by a mile just to see where baseline is at. 5:38 isn't too bad to start. will see what results may be next week

6. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

today I was short on time and didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so I would up running a couple of quick loops: 2.7 miles in 17:42. First loop was faster than the second, but not by much.

7. antirabbit

antirabbit Distinguished Member

been doing shorter but intense incline runs.
    Now, Im sick and doing these are impossible due to the congestion in my chest.
    I really hope I can get outside and do some long runs.....

8. samblackbones

samblackbones Distinguished Member

8 miles total with "A Snails Pace" Running Club
    12x1 minute hill repeats with 2 minute jogging recovery.
    I ended up chasing this one guy who runs for a local running shop's team the whole time, which was great.
    14 miles for the day yesterday. Back is sore and I am not sure from what, but I will definitely be runnin easy today.

9. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

4 miles today around a gym workout. Who said only West Coast Sunsets are beautiful?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. samblackbones

samblackbones Distinguished Member

10 real easy tonight. I just let myself go as slow as I wanted which was very relaxing. its nice when a run feels really easy/comfortable!
    1\t00:07:50\t1.00\t07:50
    2\t00:07:57\t1.00\t07:57
    3\t00:07:58\t1.00\t07:58
    4\t00:08:02\t1.00\t08:02
    5\t00:07:53\t1.00\t07:53
    6\t00:07:44\t1.00\t07:44
    7\t00:07:30\t1.00\t07:30
    8\t00:07:29\t1.00\t07:29
    9\t00:07:25\t1.00\t07:25
    10\t00:07:20\t1.00\t07:20
    Splits.

11. about11oclock

about11oclock Distinguished Member

5 miles, route shaped like Wu Tang W.

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

This morning, 6 miles along the shore of Lake Huron in Mackinaw City. Inspired by the ice jams on the lake, the misty view of the Mackinac Bridge, and a glimpse of the islands in the lake. Will post a picture or two later. So gorgeous in the winter. If time allowed, I would have run for a couple of hours.

13. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

5.3 miles in 40:57, didn't get much sleep last night and am considering new sleeping arrangements for the damn dog that kept waking me up. [​IMG]

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

Took five days off, so yesterday was my first day back. No great shakes. 3.57 miles in 32:28 (avg. 9:05 min/mi) Yesterday's playlist: Radiohead's new album, The King of Limbs

15. spencers

spencers Senior Member

6.47mi in 44:59 yesterday and still adjusting to these new hyperspeeds. i didn't think the break-in period was this long with my last pair. [​IMG]