How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

6 beautiful miles in 60 degrees, Brooklyn.

Went for a very fast bare-chested 5.5 miles yesterday, mid 60's, and glorious in the sun. No music, just my shorts and shoes. Discounting the stretch/cruch break, and 2 minutes that I ran into an old friend, I'd say it was close to 35 minutes...I flew and it felt GREAT! Now its 40 again.

2. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Had an awesome 11 miler in mud, slush, ice, snow, and straight up water.
    Put the inov8's to the test.
    Ill poast pics later, they are kind of like wet sand pics, minus the beach, minus the nice warm temps.
    It was beautiful out, but not warm.
    Supposed to get another snow blast tonight/tomorrow.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

this morning: 12 miles in 1:30:23. Felt strong the first 1/3, then felt a bit weak in the middle third, took a couple of brief time-outs for blox and water, and had a good last loop. Now my legs ache a little, but I feel better about the half that's five weeks away. The weather was utterly gorgeous.

Playlist:

Green Day - Letterbomb
    America - Ventura Highway
    Fatboy Slim - the Rockafeller Skank
    Arcade Fire - Sprawl (Flatland)
    John Frusciante - God
    Janelle Monae - Dance or Die
    3 Doors Down - It's not my Time
    Metallica - All Nightmare Long
    Fugazi - Ex-Spectator (live)
    John Frusciante - Central
    Better than Ezra - Pull
    Fugazi - Cashout (live)
    Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind
    Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life
    Morrissey - Sorry Doesn't Help
    Arcade Fire - Empty Room
    Morrissey - Irish Blood, English Heart
    English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
    Joan Jett - Love is All Around
    Gorrillaz - Some Kind of Nature
    Mike Patton - Che Notte!
    Fugazi - Waiting Room (live)
    Metallica - Frantic

4. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

Ran my first 5k today. Felt awesome. [​IMG]

5. spencers

spencers Senior member

6.1mi in 44:36 yesterday
    breaking in the new Hyperspeeds

6. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

After looking at race schedules and considering my options, I think I am going to run the Pasadena marathon on may 15th.
    That gives me 12 weeks. I am planning on using the next for weeks to build up to 80 MPW based on the 10% plan (up miles by no more than 10% per week) starting at 65-70 this week. Today I went for a 10 minute tempo run that felt solid the whole way through, especially the last mile. It feels great to be back to semi-focused training. Here are the splits (I did a hilly/muddy x2 during miles 5 & 6)
    1\t00:06:52\t1.00\t06:52
    2\t00:06:35\t1.00\t06:35
    3\t00:06:34\t1.00\t06:34
    4\t00:06:31\t1.00\t06:31
    5\t00:07:02\t1.00\t07:02
    6\t00:07:00\t1.00\t07:00
    7\t00:06:46\t1.00\t06:46
    8\t00:06:53\t1.00\t06:53
    9\t00:06:41\t1.00\t06:41
    10\t00:06:12\t1.00\t06:12
    Total Avg: 6:41 min/mile

7. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Hill repeats this morning. A little 4 mile race in Prospect Park this weekend, should be interesting to see what I can do, I haven't raced since December.
    NYR, you in?

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

5.3 miles this morning in 39:39. Didn't really want to run this morning, I don't think I've bounced back fully yet from Aramco. Had a great playlist but forgot the ipod at home.

Speaking of, the damn thing pauses at the strangest times. Not sure if it's related to the battery replacement or the headphones.

9. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

Got in three runs this weekend, Friday ran a solid 8 miles in CP in 52:42, Saturday morning ran a recovery run of 6.1 miles in 1:07:44 and then in the afternoon braved the winds to run 14 miles in 1:57:05. It's amazing how much less fun it was running in freezing wind than it was the 50's and 60's of Thursday and Friday.

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I got in ten miles on Friday in gorgeous weather and another 6 on Saturday in chilly but nice weather. These were my first runs outdoors in a few weeks. Then on Sunday we got 11" of snow. Go figure.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Hill repeats this morning. A little 4 mile race in Prospect Park this weekend, should be interesting to see what I can do, I haven't raced since December.
    NYR, you in?

Perhaps...fighting off a little something now, hopefully just allergies as we're really gutting (well, not gutting as remodeling, but just eliminating tons of shit in our apt). Could you fwd me the info? My last race was last September but I'd be into starting again.

For my runs, hockey has started up again, so they'll be much fewer until my body gets used to the physicality and doesn't stay sore for 2 days. Tonight, outside, at 8PM should be fun, its fuckin 18 deg out now.

12. forex

forex Senior member

How the hell do you guys run more than 10 miles consistantly? My knees start to hurt after the 5th mile, well, I can still run but it gets uncomfortable. FWIW, I run on asphalt and I am around 180-185lbs. So,what am I doing wrong?

13. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Regarding the discomfort in the knees - there can be any number of reasons why you start to become uncomfortable at that point - IT band syndrome, runners knee, wrong footwear, striding REALLY heavily on your heals, running too much too fast too soon, etc. etc. For a quick fix you might go to a local running specialty shop and get fitted for the right shoe. If you have already done that, try to reduce the distance you run but run more days a weak, and, whenever possible run on trails or surfaces softer than pavement. If you are not already running frequently you shouldn't need to run much past 5 miles during the week with a longer run on the weekends. by building up your mileage slowly (most authorities say don't add more than 10% more miles per week) the entire running process will probably become much more pleasant.

6 miles this AM @
    1\t00:07:26\t1.00\t07:26
    2\t00:07:09\t1.00\t07:09
    3\t00:06:58\t1.00\t06:58
    4\t00:06:51\t1.00\t06:51
    5\t00:06:49\t1.00\t06:50
    6\t00:06:37\t1.00\t06:37
    splits
    Going to run with A Snails Pace Track Club tonight - should be interesting. Targeting just under 70 for the week.
    It has been gorgeous running weather along the boardwalk and river trail in So Cal.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

How the hell do you guys run more than 10 miles consistantly? My knees start to hurt after the 5th mile, well, I can still run but it gets uncomfortable. FWIW, I run on asphalt and I am around 180-185lbs. So,what am I doing wrong?

180lbs and how tall? Can you stand to lose a few pounds? I'm 5' 8" (on a good day) and was up around 180lbs for a while but still running. I would have pain in my knees and lower back but just powered through it. When I changed my diet and exercise routine around a little and eventually got my weight down to 165lbs, I could notice a big difference in what was sore and how badly it was sore (everything was less sore after losing the weight).

I think I remember reading a report from UCSD or some other university's kniseology department describing how lowering your weight (regardless of whether it's fat or muscle) but even just 1 or 2 pounds makes an extremely large difference in the amount of stress you place on your back and knees when running.

15. forex

forex Senior member

180lbs and how tall? Can you stand to lose a few pounds? I'm 5' 8" (on a good day) and was up around 180lbs for a while but still running. I would have pain in my knees and lower back but just powered through it. When I changed my diet and exercise routine around a little and eventually got my weight down to 165lbs, I could notice a big difference in what was sore and how badly it was sore (everything was less sore after losing the weight).

I think I remember reading a report from UCSD or some other university's kniseology department describing how lowering your weight (regardless of whether it's fat or muscle) but even just 1 or 2 pounds makes an extremely large difference in the amount of stress you place on your back and knees when running.

I am 6-6.1", I would like to be in the 180 range,maybe I could get down to 175 but wouldn't really want to go any further as I did that before and didn't really feel good. I think that if I can keep the weight in the 175-180 range,I should be fine. I didn't realize that even couple of pounds can be crucial,that's good to know.

I also think that I need to build up slowly,I wasn't running during the colder days,was just too lazy and plus the cold killed all the desire, I probably need to start slowly and add 10% every week.
    Also going to a store to get fitted this week, I usually bought Asics running shoes based on my own research but never had the professional fitting done so it may improve things for me.