• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYR, it sucks, its a crazy work out. My feet and lower legs feel like they have been used as targets on a driving range. Its the frozen ruts, holes, divots, and prior foot prints that make it so difficult (along with the slippery surface).
We are slated for blizzards this week (shocking), so I am looking forward to getting my Inov8's so these trails will be less of a traction issue as the tread on these bad boys are similar to football shoes (except low profile with very little midsole).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
NYR, it sucks, its a crazy work out. My feet and lower legs feel like they have been used as targets on a driving range. Its the frozen ruts, holes, divots, and prior foot prints that make it so difficult (along with the slippery surface).
We are slated for blizzards this week (shocking), so I am looking forward to getting my Inov8's so these trails will be less of a traction issue as the tread on these bad boys are similar to football shoes (except low profile with very little midsole).

Damn, I bet, must be a lot like running in the sand, but slippery. Keep on trucking, they're calling for perhaps another 12" this week for us as well...but not sure yet.

Originally Posted by kgmessier
Looks like I'll have to start snapping pics to represent Beantown!

Go for it Mess!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
*sigh* 13.1 miles in 1:57-ish. It was a disaster. mid-60's and 96% humidity at the start, and around halfway the cold front came through, bringing the rain. Utter and total misery and I seriously considered bailing after mile 2, and every step after. I walked a lot. My folks were at the finish and ended up driving me home, and I'm still waiting to bounce back.

I'm on the fence as to whether I find another upcoming race and redeem myself, or whether I just go to marathon training.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** man...so sorry to hear it didnt go as you had hoped.
I think the best thing you could do is to do another race!

Hey if its any consolation....you are really fast, inspirationally so.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas -
F*ck it man you did awesome - some days it is just an endurance event - and you managed just great in that humidity. If marathons be your goal treat it as a long training run - but whatever you do don't beat yourself up! I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this!

I am in taper mode and am concerned about my legs so basically I have been brimming over with nervous energy - blegh

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
*sigh* 13.1 miles in 1:57-ish. It was a disaster. mid-60's and 96% humidity at the start, and around halfway the cold front came through, bringing the rain. Utter and total misery and I seriously considered bailing after mile 2, and every step after. I walked a lot. My folks were at the finish and ended up driving me home, and I'm still waiting to bounce back.

I'm on the fence as to whether I find another upcoming race and redeem myself, or whether I just go to marathon training.

Thomas...good **** man. We've all had those days when the elements have held us back. Even with that, you trudged through and believe it or not, put up a decent time. Take a few days off to recover, and then get back out there.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Thomas - Congrats on sticking it out, even though you were obviously disappointed. Sometimes nature conspires against us and we just have to soldier on. (If I remember from my time working down your way there was a saying that the folks of Hispanic heritage had that ran along the lines of 'Lo que no puede cambiar es necesario de sufrir'.) Take a few days to recover (swimming works for me when my legs are killing me from a race but I'm still jonesing for some exercise) and then get back to it. You should be in a good place to be back to the level where you're ok to try another half after four-six weeks and then (at least it was my experience) bumping up the mileage for a full-marathon doesn't require too many more weeks. And that basically means that you should have options at either distance (even if you have to travel a bit) before the heat of summer arrives.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I can pinpoint a few of the blunders I made both going into and during the race, so I should be able to better manage myself next time around.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles this AM at 7min miles
Getting my pace memorized.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unimpressive dreadmill workout. No Beantown pics.
frown.gif
5.7 miles in 52:09 (avg. 9:09 min/mi) Today's shuffle playlist: Phish - "Simple [Live]" Kiss - "Deuce [Live]" The Fixx - "Saved by Zero" Kiss - "All American Man" Phish - "Tweezer (Reprise)" Tool - "Ænema" U2 - "Discothèque" Soundgarden - "Outshined" Soundgarden - "Fell on Black Days" Tool - "The Pot" Aerosmith - "S.O.S. (Too Bad)" Rage Against the Machine - "Take the Power Back"

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn Dude!
You get a prize for 52 minutes on a dread mill!!
The horror.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hate the treadmill, like the soundgarden.

I just saw a post from the wife's cousin that she's out for the Austin half: some leg pain and swelling, but no fracture. Kinda put things into perspective for me. Also, I see that there are still openings, but a friend drove the marathon course last weekend and called it 'mountainous'. I think I'll pass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads