Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. dawit

dawit Senior member

5.2 last night...felt good to sweat in the cold, but when I got home the heat and hot water were off, so I had to wait an hour before getting into a nice hot shower...

Haha, thats sad. I have my plumbing redone so I'm off of heat, too. I always liked cold/hot showers after my runs, the are invigorating.

I did a 6k yesterday but it sucked, snow, slippery, couldn't get into the right pace. One of my worst runs, ever.
    I think I'll stop running for a bit cause of the snow....

Btw. does anyone here run in Newton shoes?

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This morning, 3.5 miles. Temperature, 20 degrees. Could not find my SmartWool leg tights. (Dang!) Just had to tough it out. Tomorrow is the local Santa Shuffle 5K race. There's about an inch of snow on the ground. More is on the way.

3. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Just got back in, it was 16 degrees. Wore two vests (one thermal, one for wind protection), thermal tights, thermal longsleeve shirt, hat and gloves. Didnt feel warm until mile 4 or so.
    Did 7.5 total, now I am sitting here, finally sweating and freezing.

RE: Newtons.....
    I personally see them as a transition shoe if you need to learn how to midfoot/forefoot strike.
    I run in both the Saucony Kinvara and the Mizuno wave precision.
    I can not recomend the Kinvara enough.
    I want to try some Innov-8 trail shoes (just came out with a pair that has tungsten carbide cleats for snow and ice).
    You should look for shoes with the least height difference between the heel and forefoot (4mm is a good start)

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

4.24 miles in 36:23 (avg. 8:35 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

The Beatles - "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
    AC/DC - "T.N.T."
    Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' for You"
    Led Zeppelin - "Four Sticks"
    Soundgarden - "Mailman"
    The Beatles - "Cry Baby Cry"
    The Beatles - "And I Love Her"
    The Beatles - "She Said She Said"
    Pink Floyd - "Astronomy Domine [Live]"

5. dawit

dawit Senior member

RE: Newtons..... I personally see them as a transition shoe if you need to learn how to midfoot/forefoot strike. I run in both the Saucony Kinvara and the Mizuno wave precision. I can not recomend the Kinvara enough. I want to try some Innov-8 trail shoes (just came out with a pair that has tungsten carbide cleats for snow and ice). You should look for shoes with the least height difference between the heel and forefoot (4mm is a good start)
    Hey, I want to try Newton. I've heard those are the best shoes out there, but I don't know how I'll adapt to them... I always run in Nikes. Saucony don't feel right for me, I've only tried Triumph's 7's on but they just aren't my favorite type of shoe. I also heard lots of good things about Kinvara. My current shoe is Nike Run Avant+ and they are great. For a 70$ shoe you got everything you need. I did try to switch to Asics, even bought some Nimbus 11's but they got stolen from my gym locker... I like new Nike's Zoom Vomero 5, they are so soft and pillowy. I'm gonna try to get the Vomero's or Newtons as my new shoe. I just want to rationalise the fact that I'm buying a 170$ running shoe witch I haven't had a chance to try or see in real light [​IMG]

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Hey,
    I want to try Newton. I've heard those are the best shoes out there, but I don't know how I'll adapt to them...
    I always run in Nikes. Saucony don't feel right for me, I've only tried Triumph's 7's on but they just aren't my favorite type of shoe. I also heard lots of good things about Kinvara. My current shoe is Nike Run Avant+ and they are great. For a 70$ shoe you got everything you need. I did try to switch to Asics, even bought some Nimbus 11's but they got stolen from my gym locker...
    I like new Nike's Zoom Vomero 5, they are so soft and pillowy.
    I'm gonna try to get the Vomero's or Newtons as my new shoe. I just want to rationalise the fact that I'm buying a 170$ running shoe witch I haven't had a chance to try or see in real light [​IMG]

If you are not in need of the guidance that the Newtons give, it is a waste of $170.00
    The Kinvara's are most similar to the Nike Free 3.0's. Super light, super flexible, and lots of room in the toes, also very cushy for a minimalist shoe. They can be had for around $65.00.
    You could also try a racing flat.

7. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

8.o tonight
    20 tomorrow
    I have been running my fastest ever in the Asics Speedstar 5's - an awesome minimal - ish trainer. Not quite as light as some of your other options - eg Mizuno wave universe - but feel very ample for marathon training. I have put 100+ miles on them already and they are holding up great. I am curious to try the kinvaras though as they get so much love from yall.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

After two weeks of not training much (one week of recuperation, and one week with back pain) I finally ran 5.3 and felt good the whole time. 41:20, and looking forward to tomorrow's run [​IMG]

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Ho, ho, ho! The local Santa 5K Shuffle this morning. About 24 minutes. Temps around 30; a few snowflakes were falling to make it perfect.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

We have 3+ inches of snow on the ground here in Chicago land.
    I am not sure I am going out....may do some Farltek work on the treadmill.

11. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

challenging 12.65 w/ ~1300 ft elevation gain in 1:57.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-Jeff

12. dawit

dawit Senior member

It was -16 celcius outside so I did some treadmill work.
    Treadmill was set to 1h. I adjusted the speed and elevation every ten minutes. After 20 min it was 11 mph and from the 40th minute - uphill.

After that I did a test run - 13 mph for 4 minutes.

DAMN, I'M IN SHAPE! Can't believe my HR log [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Well-Known Member

About 8 miles @ 1:10 while visiting the Hudson Valley. Way colder than my usual temps, but lovely trial to a big dam on a Hudson tributary. Pace wasn't bad either.

14. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

20.2 tonight in 2:25 (thats JUST below boston pace)
    felt good . . . . .

15. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

10K today in 40:33, took it easy to run with friends.