How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

untimed 16 miler today.
    Feeling pretty damn lethargic - had to refuel with some Cliff Shot Blocks.

2. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

10 mile race this morning - 59:10. Was hoping to do a little better, but a couple weeks ago my lower right leg started hurting and i couldnt run on it. So I didnt run at all the past 2 weeks in hopes that it would be healed-up enough to get through todays 10-miler since i had i already registered for it. Leg didn't feel too great, just ok... i think it altered my stride a little but it didnt really get any worse throughout the race. In the end i think my fitness let me down more than my leg injury did, i just didnt feel like i could push the pace and when i got passed by a couple people in the last few miles i couldnt respond.
    Still, all things considered im very happy with how it went.

3. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

10 mile race this morning - 59:10. Was hoping to do a little better, but a couple weeks ago my lower right leg started hurting and i couldnt run on it. So I didnt run at all the past 2 weeks in hopes that it would be healed-up enough to get through todays 10-miler since i had i already registered for it. Leg didn't feel too great, just ok... i think it altered my stride a little but it didnt really get any worse throughout the race. In the end i think my fitness let me down more than my leg injury did, i just didnt feel like i could push the pace and when i got passed by a couple people in the last few miles i couldnt respond.

Fasty McFasterson!!!
    Wow, nice work. I hate to see your times when you are 100%

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

4.06 miles in 35:02 (avg. 8:38 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

The Police - "Can't Stand Losing You"
    The Rolling Stones - "Sway"
    Jane's Addiction - "Pigs in Zen"
    Michael Jackson - "Beat It"
    The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another"
    ZZ Top - "La Grange"
    Black Sabbath - "Sweet Leaf"
    The Beatles - "Drive My Car"
    Aerosmith - "Milk Cow Blues"

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

6.5 miles today, sweating the last of the H1N1 out. Playlist was Sum 41...

6. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

Last day of my "down" week; ran an easy 35, calling it a conservative 5 miles.

7. samblackbones

8.5 in :54:30
    week: M: Rest Tues: 9 Weds:8 Thurs:9 Fri:11.5 Sat: 16 Sun:8.5
    62 Mile Week.
    Feeling good just bought some CEP compression socks today. Run tonight was a good pace for a recovery run.

8. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Senior member

2 miles today. I'm in horrible shape [​IMG]

9. samblackbones

Way to fight through it Jwied those are some solid splits.

10. ds2465

ds2465 Well-Known Member

Usually run about 4 times a week, 5 miles at a time along the West Side Highway in NYC

11. Modern Day Adonis

6 miles progression, first mile in 7:10, finished in 37:02

Building back up to normal mileage, and getting ready for a very early indoor meet this weekend.

Out of curiosity, how many of you run for general fitness/race specific training/etcetera?

12. MaxNormal

MaxNormal New Member

Hey guys I was hoping that some more experienced runners could help me with some info. I am going to be doing a half marathon in March and then the full thing in July to fundraise for an aid project I'll be undertaking in India this summer.

I have only been training for 5 weeks and have been doing it mostly on a treadmill in the gym for the last couple as I live in an area with horrible weather(currently a foot of snow outside my window). But I have noticed a difference in the mileage I'm able to do on a treadmill compared to what I was doing outside, I have been doing 7 miles in 35 minutes on an incline of 1 everyday(with a rest day thrown in now and then) pretty comfortably. But when I started training outdoors I was struggling to do 5 miles in that time, so I’m wondering if the benefits of treadmill running are less than road running as the treadmill just seems way easier, should I tough it out and run in the snow?

13. Modern Day Adonis

Hey guys I was hoping that some more experienced runners could help me with some info. I am going to be doing a half marathon in March and then the full thing in July to fundraise for an aid project I'll be undertaking in India this summer.

I have only been training for 5 weeks and have been doing it mostly on a treadmill in the gym for the last couple as I live in an area with horrible weather(currently a couple feet of snow outside my window). But I have noticed a difference in the mileage I'm able to do on a treadmill compared to what I was doing outside, I have been doing 7 miles in 35 minutes on an incline of 1 everyday(with a rest day thrown in now and then) pretty comfortably but when I started training outdoors I was struggling to do 5 miles in that time, so I'm wondering if the benefits of treadmill running are less than road running, should I tough it out and run in the snow?

My school is located in the south and home is in the north; I know your debate all too well.

I've found that the calibration on treadmills can be off, I don't remember exactly how to measure it but it has something to do with the belt length and revolutions....I'm sure you could google it if you really wanted to know. The primary thing you lose in treadmill running is wind resistance, supposedly the incline of 1-2% makes up for this. Don't believe the rumors that you aren't really moving on a treadmill...those people don't understand Newton's first law of motion.

Running outside on the snow is going to be much tougher, as you lose energy in the snow/ice. Be prepared to have extremely sore stabilizer muscles and risk the chance of falling/injury by running in inclement weather. Your 7 min/mile effort outside may be equivalent to 5:40s due to the weather. I highly recommend running based upon effort, some days easy will be 6:50 other days it may be 8:50...focus on getting in the mileage at first and then build on intensity with workouts.

When I go home for Christmas, I'll likely do most of my primary runs outsides, workouts on indoor tracks, and doubles on the treadmill. While I could do them all on the treadmill with little fear of losing fitness, it's a personal preference thing. I cannot focus for too long on treadmills, it drives me crazy. You'll be alright running either way but if you do go outside, I suggest investing in YakTrax or similar.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-YKXTR.html

14. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

3.5 today, super busy but I had to get out for something. Weather is getting raw. Running is getting more and more joyless.

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

just wanted to say this, but i can do a full-on sprint for 2 miles non-stop )maybe more. was never able to do this, even when i was in shape during college or i never tried.

i can jog many miles but am proud of myself for having the stamina for a 2 mile sprint without stopping.