How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

10.2 in 1:16. Felt pretty good to get out and get a long run in. Perfect running weather here in Oregon today, about 60 degrees couldy and no wind.

2. Borrelli

Borrelli Senior member

4 miles in 31 minutes - a PR for me.... [​IMG]

And this was done with forefoot strikes!!!! [​IMG]

Nice. I am interested in this forefoot strike thing. Is it recommended for anyone? I am ca. 203 Lbs but ideally want to drop to 185.
    I guess you might need a different set of shoes also? Less heel height and no correction?

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Nice. I am interested in this forefoot strike thing. Is it recommended for anyone? I am ca. 203 Lbs but ideally want to drop to 185.
    I guess you might need a different set of shoes also? Less heel height and no correction?

I have been interested in this because I generally have discomfort in my heel and Achilles tendon area when I do my normal foot strikes. I read up a bit on this and decided to try it out. I didn't get any new shoes, just focused on running on the balls of my feet. I will eventually get Nike Frees or VFFs but for now, I am just building up to it with my standard NBs.

My workout program is not tremendously running intensive - just 2 runs and 1 interval session per week, so there is usually enough time for my calves to recover from the shock. If you run a lot more, you might want to start slower with this experiment.

4. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

There are a number of good shoes for forefoot running:
    Mizuno-Wave Precision 10, Wave Elixer, Wave Mashua
    Saucony-Kinvara
    Nike-Free
    Brooks-T6
    NB-a bunch.
    Any racing flat.

You learn to read specs on shoes and look for as little heel to forefoot ratio you can.
    Im about 190 right now and I run in Mizuno. Take it slow to transition.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

There are a number of good shoes for forefoot running:
    Mizuno-Wave Precision 10, Wave Elixer, Wave Mashua
    Saucony-Kinvara
    Nike-Free
    Brooks-T6
    NB-a bunch.
    Any racing flat.

You learn to read specs on shoes and look for as little heel to forefoot ratio you can.
    Im about 190 right now and I run in Mizuno. Take it slow to transition.

I would add Newton shoes to this list.

6. airblaster503

Newtons are a rip off. Get a pair of flats.

7. Borrelli

Borrelli Senior member

10.4km race through one of the local neighbourhoods just now. Very warm, even for an evening run. Many corners and not much wind. Approximately 1:05. No problems, but the heat really makes it much harder.

8. airblaster503

4 miles today in right at 30 min. Hangover and dehydration made this run feel like a chore.

9. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

9 miles, from my apartment to the fort under the Golden Gate bridge and back. mp3 player died at mile 2. So many sun dresses to pass the time made running without music easier.

10. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

about 5 miles trail. Some last minute prepping before the Pendleton Mud run next Sat.

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

4 miles in 30:53.... a PR for me... [​IMG]

My previous best was 31 minutes - I started out a bit slow and it didn't look like I was going to be beat that time but I finished in a sprint and pulled it off!

New target is 30 minutes even. Hope to get there over the next few runs. [​IMG]

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

one mile. 8min

lol its been two weeks since my last half marathon (and 2nd in the span of 6 weeks) and i decided to take more than 10 days off and just do other things. i was getting burned out.

i did play a bunch of softball games and basketball so i know my knee isn't injured (from my last half marathon).

now i feel like i can get back into it and start getting back to the 25miles/week by the end of june... then start preparing for the bronx half marathon (probably the hardest to do because of the weather) in july.

13. quevola

quevola Senior member

Hey running peeps - congrats to all of you guys for getting out there and pounding the pavement. Lord knows it's way easier to veg out in front of the tube.

Today: Nada

Sunday: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. Hot, humid, crowded, too much concrete, but had a blast. Managed to come in at 3:55, a 14 minute PR. I'll take this week off and then begin training for another marathon in October.

14. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Hey running peeps - congrats to all of you guys for getting out there and pounding the pavement. Lord knows it's way easier to veg out in front of the tube.

Today: Nada

Sunday: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. Hot, humid, crowded, too much concrete, but had a blast. Managed to come in at 3:55, a 14 minute PR. I'll take this week off and then begin training for another marathon in October.

Congrats on the marathon.. it created hell for my day traffic wise.

My run was slow and easy, still prepping for my race this weekend.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just started interval training last night. Did 7 sets of 100m run x 100m jog before I couldn't go anymore.