• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles today, again, felt like ****, but that might be due the fact that I have eaten pizza for dinner every night since Sunday.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles

runner-guy

Reaction score
Just got back from a 7 mile run. Weather was awesome. Cooler temp and low humidity.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Are you kidding me?
You cant improve on that. Why would you want to go faster?

Anyhow, I ran 12 miles today in 1:38, my calves felt much better. My feet still hurt from not heel striking, but perhaps I have turned the corner on that...I kept well hydrated (finally the water fountains are turned on so I can fill up while out running) and ate 2 energy gel's @ mile 8.

You using the Pose method?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a coach or did you figure it out on your own? I have ankle problems if I heel strike, so I'm interested.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Ran a pleasant 7.25 miles in 55:13 this morning along the bridle path and Resevoir at the Park today.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Yes

Sweet. There's a book out there about British long distance runner Gordon Pirie. It's a free 153 page book that's free on scribd. It helped me figure out a lot of the stuff I was doing wrong with POSE without the jargon Romanov uses.

If your feet are hurting from landing on the ball of your feet you should try to figure out if you're landing correctly. I had a similar problem and it ended up being my hip positioning. I was bending forward a bit too much and that made my feet hurt. Now that I fixed that problem I can run barefoot on pavement and my feet don't hurt at all.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
Sweet. There's a book out there about British long distance runner Gordon Pirie. It's a free 153 page book that's free on scribd. It helped me figure out a lot of the stuff I was doing wrong with POSE without the jargon Romanov uses.

If your feet are hurting from landing on the ball of your feet you should try to figure out if you're landing correctly. I had a similar problem and it ended up being my hip positioning. I was bending forward a bit too much and that made my feet hurt. Now that I fixed that problem I can run barefoot on pavement and my feet don't hurt at all.

Im pretty sure that the reason my my feet hurt is that I am going 7-22 miles at a run and my feet just are not used to it.
I have been transitioning for 3 months now, but due to my knees hurting from heel striking, I just dont care if my feet hurt, the better of two evils. Plus, I know that my feet will get used to it, where my knees would just fall apart.
Ive used a bunch of resources from my local running groups and also a bunch of online help. You can pretty much feel when you are doing it right vs. wrong. I still have to think about it at times, otherwise, its becoming natural. I find it hard to heel strike now.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5k really easy today on the trail course I'm racing on tomorrow morning. Probably won't sleep tonight.

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I think you should be giving us tips, 4:40 is insanely fast. I've yet to drop below the 5 min mark on a mile and have conceded it won't happen. We could give some insight if you gave us some info on your current workouts. Also height/weight.
I am 5' 10" with a weight around 140 (I am not big boned). I just started getting back my running ability about 6 weeks ago (I was track/cross country material back in high-school, but never joined). I do not have any set workouts, so this is just an average workout for the past 4 weeks. In the morning I will sprint 1 mile at 12 mph with a 1 % incline to stimulate out door differences, then do 1 minute sprints at 5 mph with 1 minute rest periods or less. I will do leg presses at 180-220 pounds each 10 reps and 10 sets. I do a few other leg weight lifting things. I will then go on the elliptical and set it to a high resistance and keep up an intense pace for 20 minutes to build leg stamina. I then go on the bicycle and do 10-20 minutes but with less resistance and intensity than the elliptical. I then go abdominal weight with 70-90 pounds about 8-10 reps and 10 sets and use the inclined sit up thing and do 50 sit ups 4 times. I will usually leave doing X amount of sprints on the treadmill at 12 mph at 1% incline and will have no problem (I do not use more incline cause if I do I will put pain on the knees, which does not happen when its a low incline). In the evening the cardio is similar but I do more arm weight lifting instead of leg, which is not as important I assume, so I will not go into details. I go to a padded track to run the mile a few times a week to see the progress, but it seems that I can not just get past 4:40. I feel very light running and my breathing is great. Is it just that I need more leg muscle mass to get more ATP release to have more force or is this around my physical limitation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads