• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting people are being portrayed as dying on Peloton's versus other activities. I feel like the deaths during Ironman races are always during the swim portion. The first 50K I ever ran had a death during the race. I know 2 guys who are runners here in town but were spectating, had to hike in and carry out the body because the EMS team was not able to.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's interesting people are being portrayed as dying on Peloton's versus other activities. I feel like the deaths during Ironman races are always during the swim portion. The first 50K I ever ran had a death during the race. I know 2 guys who are runners here in town but were spectating, had to hike in and carry out the body because the EMS team was not able to.
The swim is by far the most stressful part of a triathlon. I played water polo in high school and college, and still always feel like I’m being trampled to death during the swim.

Also, of the events I’ve done, the only one with a death was the Devil Mountain Double Century. I’ve done it twice, but the year I volunteered at a rest stop, an Older guy died of a heart attack while climbing Mount Hamilton (going towards San Jose, CA). A friend (with first aid training) was first on scene.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a guy die in about the first minute of the Detroit International Marathon last time I ran it. IIRC, he was older (60s or 70s) and keeled over with a heart attack just after crossing the start line.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only time someone has had a heart attack in any sporting event I was involved in, was the referee in a football (soccer) match in Britain. He wasn't even running that much...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A guy died of a heart attack while behind the wheel at the second Lemons race I did (2008). Dead before the car hit the wall (relatively gently).

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A guy died of a heart attack while behind the wheel at the second Lemons race I did (2008). Dead before the car hit the wall (relatively gently).
Wait. WAIT.... You've done the 24 hours of Lemons?? I'm desperate to do it, seems like such a blast, but Covid and apparently all of my friends being smarter and having better judgment than me have conspired to foil me...

Tell Me Everything GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY356 × 200

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait. WAIT.... You've done the 24 hours of Lemons?? I'm desperate to do it, seems like such a blast, but Covid and apparently all of my friends being smarter and having better judgment than me have conspired to foil me...

Tell Me Everything GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY356 × 200
Forty-six races as of December (fifty-three if you include Lucky Dog Racing League races)! It's absolutely my favorite thing to do. While I would recommend racing with friends, you can certainly find a team and either join them or do an arrive-and-drive. This Facebook group is a great place to ask questions and or find a seat: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1222036431151240 There's also the official Ok Stupid matchmaker: https://24hoursoflemons.com/ok-stupid-registration/

We are all pretty conservative when it comes to COVID—more than pretty conservative in my case—and I haven't felt imperiled. Obviously, not everyone is careful and I have seen people in other teams being reckless, but the organizers are ethical, responsible people, and they would sooner cancel/postpone a race than put people in harm's way.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tuesday morning group ride again. I will never enjoy riding before sunrise in the cold & wet. I never regret it afterwards though

View attachment 1743585
I have never regretted an early morning ride, but persuading myself to get out there before the sun is up has proven to be challenging. I started joining a 6:45 a.m. paceline training group for my club last year, though, and it almost became routine. I was asked to lead the group this year, and like an idiot I agreed, so I guess I will have a lot of early morning rides in '22. :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11 miles just before lunch today in single digit temps. The route was a mix of paved and cleared roads and sidewalks and uncleared gravel roads and trails with a few inches of packed uneven snow. 8:53/mile pace which I'm happy with, all things considered.

Today's run puts me at 201.4 miles for January.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6 road miles. I did some R pace fartleks towards the end once I was thoroughly warmed up. Temps in the mid to upper 20s, and doing those intervals in tight certainly makes them feel tougher.

This run took me to 100.6 miles for the month.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rode to the dentist yesterday, 8 miles round trip. 25 miles today. The tower in the first picture is one of the towers of the horizon of the second picture. Last picture is a light installation in Golden Gate Park.

FC4AD142-A4F2-4E8D-B8D4-49FC39978099.jpeg
0D87CDA4-B09A-4060-BD0B-5C7F4AF4A0EF.jpeg
0147A9B2-6790-47B5-ADAF-7113980C833D.jpeg
AAAD6932-B8DA-40AF-93FB-7FC3BE18646A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcastorp