• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 miles on the dot this morning at 7:25/mile. I rode with my wife to go drop our youngest off at school today and then ran home from there. I think I might try to do this every Friday, schedule permitting.

I am slightly worried that it might be a sports hernia.
Late in the fall and early in the winter I was worried I had suffered some sort of hernia as well. It wasn't debilitating when I ran (but I could feel it a bit) but there was some very acute pain in my lower abdomen when I would sneeze or cough or turn/stretch in a very particular manor. Like an idiot, I kept running through it though and the pain eventually seemed to go away on its own. I was pretty close to going to a doctor about it but never got around to it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Late in the fall and early in the winter I was worried I had suffered some sort of hernia as well. It wasn't debilitating when I ran (but I could feel it a bit) but there was some very acute pain in my lower abdomen when I would sneeze or cough or turn/stretch in a very particular manor. Like an idiot, I kept running through it though and the pain eventually seemed to go away on its own. I was pretty close to going to a doctor about it but never got around to it.
I'm kind of suffering the same thing when I do my squats. I don't feel anything on the lighter weight but when I get over 300lbs I can feel a slight pain in the lower abdomen.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly my situation. It doesn't hurt when I run or walk, but just when I turn while lying or sitting or getting up. Maybe I'll just ignore it too, but just not push things too much.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 miles on the road. Temps in the mid 30s with flurries.

Edit to add that this was in a “new” pair of shoes. I found a not used much pair of Altra Torin 4.5 Plush on FB Marketplace. I’ve been wanting to try these, and they did not disappoint. This might be my favorite road shoes so far.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
58 miles this afternoon. Came across Izzy King and her partner going into the Presidio and ended up inadvertently stalking them past Sausalito. :) This was a much longer ride than I’d really intended, and I was not adequately fueled for it. I was on fumes for the last 10-15 miles, and the last half-mile the check engine light came on…

501160D5-5539-4C55-B397-292CC164E380.jpeg
D6D462AE-D75B-4A11-8647-3928AC3E421C.jpeg
9AD36423-59F4-4917-88A9-5944DFB90B73.jpeg
879F35B9-CF1B-4C35-8313-75D03CB69CCC.jpeg
AFE22178-B4F0-4986-9A58-751B21EC9365.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I attempted a 5k time trial today (both for establishing training paces and as a qualifying effort for a wave start at BolderBoulder). I failed miserably after starting too fast. My course also wasn’t as flat as I thought it would be. Oh well, I’ll try again next week.

I did a half mile warmup before doing the TT. I was aiming for a 7:30/mile pace, but was well under 7:00 before then wheels came off the bus. I backed it off to easy pace to end up at 4 miles total (27:04 for the 5k, which is barely faster than my middle distance training runs.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reluctantly taking the (long) weekend off to see if it makes any difference to whatever is going on in my groin region. Even though it doesn't hurt when I run, running could be making it worse and some of the things I have been reading say that even 3 days can make a difference if it's a minor strain. But.. of course 3 weeks if it's more serious, and 3 months at least for a proper tear. But whatever it is, I do know it's not that!

vespertiliovir

Reaction score
Picking up on the injury theme, does anybody have advice for dealing with Achilles tendinitis? My right Achilles does not seem to be in great shape. I tried taking about two weeks off, but it felt just as bad after my most recent run. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and if there’s anything to do other than give it time. I think some of this may be attributable to some serious overpronation, so I’m particularly curious whether anyone has shoe or other recs on that front.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picking up on the injury theme, does anybody have advice for dealing with Achilles tendinitis? My right Achilles does not seem to be in great shape. I tried taking about two weeks off, but it felt just as bad after my most recent run. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and if there’s anything to do other than give it time. I think some of this may be attributable to some serious overpronation, so I’m particularly curious whether anyone has shoe or other recs on that front.
Usually I get over tendinitis by changing my training focus between running and lifting. I developed Achilles tendinitis by lifting a lot on my legs pre Covid. Once gyms shut down I started running a lot which made my Achilles feel better but I eventually developed patellar tendinitis. Now I just have slight tennis elbow on both my arms but my legs feel great.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members