• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles, this morning. Originally, I planned on running only 5 miles, but as the gorgeous sunrise appeared in the (all too rare) blue sky, I couldn't stop. This is going to be a great Monday!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
another 5.5 in the Newtons...my calves are KILLING me, no word on how I feel about them yet, maybe in a few weeks.

**Edit** My thighs are sunburned!!!
smile.gif

As Bill Clinton would say, "I used to feel your pain." To anyone switching to Newtons, patience is advised. When I began to run in them, I wanted to do too much too soon. To NY Ranger and anyone else switching to Newtons, the following is a reply to a query that I sent to Newton Running when I began to experience pain. It is written by someone named "Tory" from Newton. I hope this can be of use:

"I do want to address your issues with the Newton shoes, and I appreciate your open mind when it comes to trying something new. The most important part of Newton is that our athletes take time to adjust to the shoes. Personally, I did not run for more than 15 minutes at a time in Newton for over a month, as running forefoot created a lot of additional stress on my calves and Achilles tendons. The way I see it, if you have been running as a heel striker for decades, you're not going to adjust to a forefoot strike overnight, and if you try, you're going to wind up with injury issues. The transition process to a mid foot/forefoot strike took months, and some really dedicated concentration. I spent a lot of time doing ¼ mile repeats on the track, concentrating on what the mid foot form felt like. After much repetition, and very slow adjustment, I learned to run more flat footed. Then, with the introduction of Newton shoes, I was encouraged to land a little more forefoot, which led me into that month of 15 minute runs. I'd start with the loop around the neighborhood, and then swing by the house to change into my old running shoes for the majority of my mileage. Too much too soon is what's going to work against you (and against anyone) so if you're really interested in learning to run a little lighter, and a little more efficiently, then Newton is going to be a great shoe to help you get there. That first pair I'd use as a training tool, or a coach. Speaking from experience, with patience and perseverance, you'll get where you want to be without sacrificing your body along the way."

mylesmyles

Reaction score
On Saturday ran 9.7 miles in 1:08

On Sunday ran 26.6 miles in 3:41

Both runs were in Central Park - weather was terrific

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Got back on the roads for the first time since Wednesday (homework)

2.6 miles in 20:43. Felt okay, but the time off certainly didn't help any.

spencers

Reaction score
6mi on the trail by the river this weekend. lovely day Saturday.
finally went shirtless!

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday: 22 miles in 3:18. Got caught in heavy rain for the last 4 miles - it was what I needed to distract myself for the pounding of my feet.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Sunday: 22 miles in 3:18. Got caught in heavy rain for the last 4 miles - it was what I needed to distract myself for the pounding of my feet.

Excellent run! Out of curiosity, do you check your split times?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Excellent run! Out of curiosity, do you check your split times?

Thanks T - I do check my splits and I've been running negative splits on my long runs the past few weeks. However, I slowed down considerably the last 5 miles on Sunday's run and ended up running ~30 seconds slower per mile the second 11 miles of the run.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50 degrees...time for the track!
colgate.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Thanks T - I do check my splits and I've been running negative splits on my long runs the past few weeks. However, I slowed down considerably the last 5 miles on Sunday's run and ended up running ~30 seconds slower per mile the second 11 miles of the run.

I like the negative splits for the long runs. How long until you start your taper?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I like the negative splits for the long runs. How long until you start your taper?

Well, my wife and I are running a marathon together on May 2nd. We will begin tapering two weeks out. Since I'm going to run with her the whole way (her first marathon), I'm going to consider it a very long Sunday run (~5 hours). My next marathon I plan to PR at won't be until October.

airblaster503

Reaction score
4.5 in 32 minutes. Felt great until I had that not so great feeling that I had to poop. Had to cut it short of the 10 mile goal I set out for. It also started hailing with snow on the way back so maybe it was a good thing. Probably play some basketball tonight and get out there for a good run tomorrow.

jwied82

Reaction score
last night: 6.2 miles in 41:00
tonight: 5.0 miles in 33:07.
Today i also rollerbladed 11.5 miles (in 42 minutes even)... though i dont like it quite as much as running, i also really enjoy rollerblading, and i have a flat, paved bike trail nearby thats great for it.

Originally Posted by mylesmyles
On Saturday ran 9.7 miles in 1:08

On Sunday ran 26.6 miles in 3:41

Both runs were in Central Park - weather was terrific

wow... 26.6 mile training run? nice.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 1.5 miles and did 10 40 yard dashes. took around 18 min. tried to do the sprints with as little rest as possible

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads