• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13.8 miles this morning to give me 50.0 for the week.

I went out to the trail today and instead of doing an out and back like I normally do I decided to go out about 6 miles, cut through a residential neighborhood and loop back to the trailhead on a couple arterial roads. Well, I got into the neighborhood and then got totally lost. I had the route planned in my head but half the roads had the same damn name! I tried pulling up the GPS on my watch but my eyes aren’t good enough to see the tiny text. Oh well… I eventually found a main road, got my bearings, and made it back to the trail and ended the run with about the same distance I had planned so it didn’t really add anything on.

When I was back on the trail and on my final mile back to my Jeep, some guy running towards me stopped mid-stride to point at me and yell, “Hey! I saw you running at the park Friday!” My energy was waning at that point but somehow that gave me a nice little boost for a final push!

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10/06-10/12 Training Update: 60 miles. Decided to start taper 4 week out.

Monday: 7.7mi, 8:05/mi, 124BPM
Tuesday: 8.1mi, 8:00/mi, 125BPM
Wednesday: 10mi, 7:03/mi, 146BPM. 3mi threshold, 2mi threshold, 1mi V02 max. 1mi rec. jogs in-between sets.
  • Working Sets: 6:21, 6:20, 6:27 (6:23/mi avg). 6:28, 6:23 (6:25/mi avg). 5:57
Thursday AM: 7.5mi, 8:13/mi, 130BPM
Thursday PM: 5.3mi, 8:32/mi, 125BPM
Friday: 6.3mi, 8:37/mi, 125BPM
Saturday: 15mi, 7:40/mi, 133BPM

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1.3 miles this morning and a few times a week since starting from scratch a couple of weeks ago. I have never been a runner so gradually working my way up to running around 3-4 miles comfortably this Fall. I just mapped a 1.7 mile route I hope to graduate to next Monday.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went over to the track this morning and instead of doing intervals, I decided to go for 2 miles with a goal of 12:30. Before going over there, I thought my 2 mile PR was about 13 minutes so this would be an attempt to break it. I ended up shattering that goal with a time of 12:07, my first mile was 6:17 and I followed that up with a mile of 5:52. I think if I had warmed up and stretched a little bit more I could have had a better first mile and been below 12:00 for the effort. No worries though, I am still very happy with the result.

FWIW, looking at Strafforts right now, I see that my PR before this morning was actually 12:15 back on July 20th, but I still beat that so I'll continue to pat myself on the back.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10/06-10/12 Training Update: 60 miles. Decided to start taper 4 week out.

Monday: 7.7mi, 8:05/mi, 124BPM
Tuesday: 8.1mi, 8:00/mi, 125BPM
Wednesday: 10mi, 7:03/mi, 146BPM. 3mi threshold, 2mi threshold, 1mi V02 max. 1mi rec. jogs in-between sets.
  • Working Sets: 6:21, 6:20, 6:27 (6:23/mi avg). 6:28, 6:23 (6:25/mi avg). 5:57
Thursday AM: 7.5mi, 8:13/mi, 130BPM
Thursday PM: 5.3mi, 8:32/mi, 125BPM
Friday: 6.3mi, 8:37/mi, 125BPM
Saturday: 15mi, 7:40/mi, 133BPM
That is quite a long time to taper but I doubt you are dropping to low 30s for 4 weeks. I have found my body almost forgets things at a 2 week taper.

This weekend was a blur being out of town. Saturday was a goose egg, Sunday was a 3K vert treadmill workout, yesterday was 8.3 flat miles, and this morning was a 2K vert treadmill workout with pack on to test out feel.

I am feeling good going into this Saturday. There are aid stations with water only so all nutrition for my likely 10+hrs needs to be carried. My big fear is not the distance but the vert. Practicing for 5K is one thing but 11-12K is crazy. It will be power hiking as much as possible then running where it gets flat. There are ~300 runners (masked start) so the goal is to get near the front to start as it gets backed up and slow hiking starts near the beginning.

Gear will just be my pack with 70oz bladder and two 20oz bottles. Temps approaching low 80s. Nutrition will be PB&Banana sandwich breakfast then on course will be Clif Bars, Honey Stinger Waffles, and Liquid Nutrition in bottles, pack will be water. Other gear will be leather gloves packed away for briars, body lube, whistle (snakes/bears/safety), calf compression sleeves, and my normal gear otherwise for about 10-12lbs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
X-ray this morning. Hoping to hear the gimp wing is healing well and get a date I can restart weights and cycling.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got great news. X-rays show the bone is 80% healed and a week from Saturday I can go on a 10'ish mile ride to see how it feels. I also get to start light weights, focuses on range of motion, this weekend.

Just four weeks since the break...not bad healing for an old man!

:)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9 miles this morning at about 8:30/mile pace.

I got up this morning and I was looking forward to my run because there’s a new Andrew W.K. album that just came out and I was planning to listen to it… but then I realized I left my AirPods on my desk at the office. 🤬

Oh well. I really prefer having music while I run but I went out anyway. I was wide awake before 5:00 a.m. so I wasn’t going to waste it…

The run went well until I was at about the final mile. I was passing the high school down the street just after 6:00 a.m. and there were about 20 teenage girls (cross country team for an insanely early practice?) sprinting up and down the big steps outside the front entrance. As I passed on the street one of them turned and gave a friendly, “Good morning” but that set of a chain reaction of all of them who were on the sidewalk also saying “Good morning” more and more aggressively until it turned into shouts of, “Too good to say hello?” and “Yeah, keep running!” The greetings started out friendly but quickly got mean spirited and sort of mocking.

I felt sort of accosted! 🧐

Teenagers are awful people.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
August was another shitty month for me mentally and therefore physically, but I'm really out of things now. It means I feel like I'm really starting all over again right now, but it won't be as hard as I imagine to get back up to speed again, I hope.

Anyway, all I've been doing so far this month is running into work three times a week, 6.2km (3.9 miles). It's not much, but I will begin to add extra sessions starting tomorrow with km intervals, and a longish run on Sunday, and then start doing my XC repeats again, and from next weekend I'm going to start doing proper long runs.

That's the plan anyway. Really, how I've got think about this is that this is the beginning of a new year of running. I've had my break, and so I can start building up the miles again, looking towards things I want to do next year, which includes a mountain marathon in the Alps, some trail races and maybe a road half or two, as well as all he usual shorter races.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
18 miles on the cyclocross, including around 7 miles at the bike park. There’s a cyclocross race going on there tomorrow, so the challenge was trying to follow the course marked with wands only (the tape will be put up in the morning). There were lots of cross geeks out there in spandex previewing the course, so I didn’t feel so alone.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
First weight session is finished. I used 25% of my usual weight for each exercise. The only one that really hurt, and I mean as in strength robbing hurt, was the reverse triceps curl. I forced through it as I need to regain that ROM.

My month of no exercise except the elliptical is ended!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went climbing with a friend up in Boulder Canyon. We did a three pitch route called Buried Alive. I led the first (5.9) and third (5.10a) pitches, and David led the middle pitch (5.8). Then we tried some of the shorts routes next to it. The 5.9- was mellow, but I bailed off the 5.9+ and 5.10d before doing the .9- again to rescue the QuickDraw I left on the .9+.

Good times on a hot day. I’m hoping the cooler weather forecast for Monday stick around.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I DNF'd my race after 3.5hrs and 13 miles. Still trying to figure out how I bonked so hard so soon. Note everything is sort of estimated as nothing is really official with this race other than it being tough.

The first 3.5-4 miles were up jeep trail. A steady powerhike for most of it and it took 55min. I'd guess something like 2K ft climb if not more. The next section was roughly 6 miles on rolling terrain then down jeep trail. The downhill was rough on my legs even though I train on up/down except for my recent treadmill work. Between these 2 sections of roughly 10 miles, I drank 80-100oz of fluids, mostly Tailwind and some electrolyte drink. Tailwind is mostly glucose vs. the fructose I am used to which could be a culprit. Next section had a 2,800ft climb over 3 miles and I knew my day was done about 50ft from the top. I figured I was just having a low period and it would come back but I could not take in anything, my stomach had turned.

Close to the top I was a zombie and I think someone realized that as they passed. They pulled me up to the top and sat me on a rock where my world turned upside down for 2 hours. I was told I passed out twice and I recall instant vivid dreams occurring quickly. Calves were a pretty solid cramp for the whole period and thighs were touch and go. 2 amazing guys gave up their races to help me. I lay on the trail getting passed by people on single track as they provided water, food, and massaged my calves. At various points my whole body would cramp and it is honestly the worst I have ever felt physically in my life. The last 30min is when the rain started. As I lay on the ground, the water fell on my face and my body temp dropped. At some point someone gave me their jacket and a space blanket was found. Earlier people called EMS and the Rangers who had to hike in 3miles. Body temp was around 94* at one point, BP was all over the map, and pulse was 40. That last 30min I was just hoping I was going to make it as at that point there were at least 5 people there, 2 rangers, 3 runners and they were all focused on keeping me alive.

After 2hrs, my body started to figure out, we need to move. They got me to my feet and we walked to a cave ~100ft away. This was not an option earlier as it was uphill and my body would cramp all over if I was in an upright position. I should note, most of the 2hrs was me lying on the trail with my legs up on the rock. Something about blood to your head but it did keep my legs from cramping 110% vs. the 100% they were at. The rangers tried an IV but I was too dehydrated to get a vein. During this period my body warmed up and I was feeling myself. Options were down 2,800ft or hike on 4-5 miles but somewhat flat. My body somehow felt better and I was able to move pretty good the remaining 4-5 miles keeping a solid 20min pace given where I was. I then got a ride in one of those 4 wheel vehicles down. I was known based on my race number that I was the "dehydrated guy" and everyone wished me well.

Today I am feeling better except for if I sit too long my calves tighten up. They waken up after about 5 minutes and I can walk around pretty good.

They took the participant list off Ultrasignup but I am waiting for the results so I can find the names of my saviors. I know some about each of them and will try to repay them somehow. One lives on the other side of Nashville and he said we will have to run together.

Let's just say, running long ended for me yesterday. The risk is not worth it.

Be safe out there guys.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.