• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10mi, 8:08/mi, 127bpm — Just a Z1 recovery jog. Enjoying the beautiful weather here. 60f, low dew point, no smoke. A late July gift!

Awesome work @kjb !! You crushed it!! I’m not a 5k runner…in fact, I hate the distance, but one of the best tips that I got was to hold back as much as you can the first mile and then treat it like a 2 mile race. It’s so easy to blow up that first mile and lock up.

Last edited:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks Dusty. yeah in a former life i was much more controlled in my pacing, but a year plus of not racing has me really rusty. also my brain totally thinks my fitness is also pre-covid so it keeps writing pace checks my body hasn't entirely been able to cash yet. i am super happy i hit my sub 21 goal though regardless of how the splits played out. but would really like to be more purposeful with them, something to work on.

Last edited:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.25 miles last night with the club. legs felt like trash from the race so a super slow recovery run, 10:35 pace the whole way. feel a bit better today, might do a light spin at some point to try to flush out the last of the soreness.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4.6 miles on the trail yesterday then 6 on the greenway this morning. The greenway was blocked with a chain going across the trail for a while but people just went over/under it. Today there was a big 6ft chain link fence with barbed wire blocking it. I couldn't tell what was wrong when running on it and sad I will have to start somewhere else now for a bit.

Heading for vacation tomorrow so will have super flat, exposed runs for the next week.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kjb - Great work on the 5k!

____

7.2 miles last night on the trails. Started a little later than normal and it was getting dark under the canopy. When I did pop out at one spot where you can usually see downtown, it was super foggy. Come to find out, it was smoke from wildfires in California and Canada.

We haven't really had much smoke from out west affecting our weather here in Metro Detroit but it has been noticeable during the sunrises the past couple mornings. They've been extra orange and extra pretty.

___

10 miles on the dot this morning. The first 5 were relatively slow and easy with an overall pace of 9:00/mile. Once I hit that 45 minute/5 mile point, I turned around and turned it up and ran the same 5 miles back home in 39 minutes (what's that, 7:20 a mile?).

I've had a looong, very busy, stressful week at work (my job is typically next to nothing in terms of stress level) and I was really tired when I got up this morning but after using yesterday morning as a rest day I really wanted to get out there today and I'm glad I did.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5.6 trail miles with the dogs from our campsite, followed by 4.6 miles of kayaking alternating between carrying each of our three boys. I’m freakin’ thrashed and now have to drive home.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my 1 mile time trial last night. It was originally scheduled for 9:00 p.m. but there we’re some severe storms and torrential rain moving through so it got pushed back to just before 10:00 p.m. (and this was all a makeup after severe weather canceled it about a month ago).

When the starting gun for my heat went off I was fumbling with my bib on the sideline and not paying attention so I crossed the start line a good 30 or 40 seconds after everybody else. My “official” time was 6:27.something but I was moving! There were about 15 runners in my heat and I started making up time pretty quickly and passed all but a few of the other runners (there were two college-age girls who had a pretty good lead on everybody). When all was said and done my watch actually said 5:41 for the mile, a new PR by about 15 seconds! I think my 5:41 would have been first or second in my heat.

I don’t think the race was chip timed (I cannot see or feel a chip on the bib so maybe the camera was just automatically reading the bibs as they cross the line?) so I think my 6:27 may stand as my official time but I’m waiting for the organizers to post all the times to their site later today or tomorrow.

There was nothing but pride on the line so, even taking my starting snafu into consideration I had a good time.

The next two heats both had a bunch of runners run a sub 5-minute mile so I’m pretty sure I didn’t finish in the top 10.

I’ve got a 10k scheduled for this coming Saturday morning. Hopefully the crowd of runners there will help motivate me along for that too.

1DD991F8-734A-4FC2-B68C-78F701C1E759.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20.7 mixed terrain miles on the cyclocross bike. Riding trails on that thing sure feels like a throwback to pre-suspension mountain biking… it’s hot and smoky out. Temps in the low 90s.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took this morning off from running as I was a lot more sore from my late night mile than I figured I’d be.

This afternoon I went to the beach house to meet up with my wife and kids. There’s a good sand bar about 100’ from the shore this year (after a couple years without the sandbar) and my oldest daughter wanted to race me in the water with her swimming and me running on the sandbar. So we did about 50 meter “sprints” with me running in thigh-deep water. We did about 5 or 6 of those and now I’m beat!

At least the water was warm today!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of walking lately usually about an hour 3 nights a week. I'm still having quite a bit of discomfort in my knee. It feels like bone on bone when I run so I've tapered off right now.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.