• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got out just after 5:30am this morning for my last long quasi-cross country run before I'm off on holiday and running real trails. 25km (15.5 miles) to the beach and back on road edges, gravel and dirt roads, and trails. It wasn't too hot, luckily, but it was very windy and all in my face on the way out. Overall, it was okay despite getting a weird pain in my lower back (really just above my right buttock), which I have never had before. I wasn't planning to do any more serious running before we go away anyway, which is just as well...

2:21:00 exactly, for 5:38/km (9:03/mile)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My flutes were a little sore this morning so I took another day off from running and went for a walk again. 6.3 miles with a stop at Starbucks in the middle of it. For years, this was my normal Sunday morning routine: go for my 6~ mile loop around town with a coffee shop as the midway and listen to a bunch of podcasts (I was plowing my way through season 8 of Dissect this morning).

I also ventured over to the trail today that was flooded yesterday. Other than it being a little muddy still and most of the wood chips being washed away, you’d hardly know it was impassable 24 hours earlier.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to take a week off of training.

Did my tempo run Thursday and Friday I was struggling with some hip pain. Thinking the tendons/ligaments in that area are inflamed. Took yesterday off as it was still painful. Felt a little better this morning. Tried to go for a long run today and felt some tenderness about 1.5 miles in. Decided to shut it down.

Still over 3 months till the race, and no use making it worse at this stage.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on painful personal experience, I would make it two weeks. After a week you might feel deceptively better, but it won't be right and you might end up doing something else. With three months, and all the work you've done, you will not lose much from a fortnight off.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, for those who are interested, here's my plan for my holidays from later this week. We'll be up in a cabin near Algonquin Provincial Park, a massive semi-wilderness areas in the middle of Ontario.

My two aims are:
1. Total of over 120km (75 miles) of trail running during the 7 days; including,
2. A 56km (35 mile) individual run, on the same 14km loop route that would have been used for the trail ultra I was down for this year.

Caveats:
1. I'll do as many laps as I feel I can for the individual run, so it might end up being 42km or even 28km if I'm not feeling too good. If it's 28, I might have another go a couple of days later, but I'd be happy with 42.
2. Whatever the result for that run, I'm still going to aim at 120km for the week.
3. I am going to run just as fast as I need to to make it fun.

I am not going to be online at all for the whole time, so I will tell you all how it went when I get back (the 9th of July or so).

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 10 steamy miles on the greenways. Felt great until I finished. Get back to the car and someone smashed in my car window but did not take anything. Once I got my head right I had to give my car a good once over cleaning and called the cops to at least report this. I saw another sign a few weeks back of a smashed window but did not think too much of it. I’ll start parking at the golf center across the street now.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, for those who are interested, here's my plan for my holidays from later this week. We'll be up in a cabin near Algonquin Provincial Park, a massive semi-wilderness areas in the middle of Ontario.

My two aims are:
1. Total of over 120km (75 miles) of trail running during the 7 days; including,
2. A 56km (35 mile) individual run, on the same 14km loop route that would have been used for the trail ultra I was down for this year.

Caveats:
1. I'll do as many laps as I feel I can for the individual run, so it might end up being 42km or even 28km if I'm not feeling too good. If it's 28, I might have another go a couple of days later, but I'd be happy with 42.
2. Whatever the result for that run, I'm still going to aim at 120km for the week.
3. I am going to run just as fast as I need to to make it fun.

I am not going to be online at all for the whole time, so I will tell you all how it went when I get back (the 9th of July or so).

Take pictures! Algonquin is on the list of places my wife and I would like to check out in the next couple years. Right up there with Manitou Island

Got in 10 steamy miles on the greenways. Felt great until I finished. Get back to the car and someone smashed in my car window but did not take anything. Once I got my head right I had to give my car a good once over cleaning and called the cops to at least report this. I saw another sign a few weeks back of a smashed window but did not think too much of it. I’ll start parking at the golf center across the street now.

That sucks about the break-in. What a crappy way to ruin an otherwise good outing!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to take a week off of training.

Did my tempo run Thursday and Friday I was struggling with some hip pain. Thinking the tendons/ligaments in that area are inflamed. Took yesterday off as it was still painful. Felt a little better this morning. Tried to go for a long run today and felt some tenderness about 1.5 miles in. Decided to shut it down.

Something to consider: A lot of spinal/ disc/ nerve issues manifest in the hips. Several years ago, I had a very serious back injury with two ruptured discs and a major bulge in-between them. I had no pain or other issue with my back, but I had major sciatica and hip/ leg pain. In hindsight, there were warning signs. FOr a few months prior to the injury event, I had hip pain and soreness that I thought was an over use injury. It was more uncomfortable than anything else and would alleviate somewhat if I foam rolled or used a hypervolt.

TLDR: make sure it isnt a disc or nerve issue, if only to rule things out and start recovering faster with the right treatment/ rest plan.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Man with Apple - I’m sorry to hear about the niggle and glad you’re playing it safe to recovery fully. Do you normally do strength work during your buildups or otherwise?

No, and frankly, I really think I should. At least things like air squats, lunges, etc. in fact, maybe while I am taking time off I will start since any soreness will not impact my running. What about you?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shameless sales pitch:

I picked up a pair of POC DO Blade sunglasses a few weeks ago, and they arent going to work for me. I have a hard time finding glasses that fit my face well, so this is not surprising. I have $150 in them, so if anyone is interested these I'd pass them along for $100. No case or bag, I'll cover shipping in the US.

PXL_20210628_025215410.jpg

PXL_20210628_025225977.jpg

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.5mi, 7:43/mi, 141bpm -- Zone 2 jogging over a hilly route that's so continually up/down that it reminds me of a rollercoaster. Added 5x 100m strides at the end.
--
@Man with Apple , Maybe that would be of some benefit to you? I don't mean working out like a bodybuilder trying to elicit max contraction and hypertrophy, but more like a 15-30 minute circuit 2x per week. For me and my body type I've learned that I have to strength train if I want to stay healthy. I'm just too heavy with to much impact force crashing into the ground on each step. I made a conscious effort to work it in during the recovery of my last injury (almost a year ago) and haven't had so much as a twinge of pain since. Knock on wood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads