How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

So I've dabbled in running for the past year and a half or so, and finally decided that I really needed to just start signing up for races to keep the pressure on to train. I've got a 1/2 marathon scheduled for April 10th and another June 6th, and I'm finally to the point where I'm starting to feel like a runner rather than a guy trying to get through a run.

I went out for 9 miles this morning, my longest run to date. Parts of it sucked b/c it was just above freezing and many sidewalks are not shoveled. Parts of it were a ton of fun.

Last Tuesday night was the first time I used YakTracks. For the right conditions, I really recommend them. I didn't slip once, which can be a feat this time of year in Michigan.

yaktracks are great. i used them last year. what i did figure out through some friends that run XC is they use XC cleats if the snow and slush. even if you just put blank cleats in the screw heads still contacts the ground giving good ice traction.

the best part is that XC cleats usually go on sale super cheap (i got my old asics dirt dog 2 for $18 online from runningwarehouse). i also use them as softball cleats and light hiking shoe alternatives in the summer too.

2. spencers

spencers Senior member

3. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

7.5 last night in 49:43
    4.5 tonigh in 30:30
    25.6 miles total for the week.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

4 mile race at Prospect Park this morning, then jogged another 2 for cool down. The only thing thats tough about prospect is the rolling hills... they aren't that steep but they are longer and steeper than anything in Central Park. Prospect is pretty in the winter. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. supermidget

supermidget Senior member

6 miles today. just need to get back in it.

6. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

did an amazing 8.1 on Sat. one of those runs where at the end you realize why you run in the first place. yeah, damn, with i could bottle up that feeling.

-Jeff

7. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I'm impressed that so many people run in the snow. I used to live in Manhattan and remember when I slipped on an iced road near the GW bridge and partially tore my meniscus. I had pain in that knee for almost 3 years! (and the orthopod I saw recommended not doing anything b/c he thought surgery would make it worse).

I'm in Santa Monica now, which is a lot more conducive to running year round. I've become partial to soft sand running, partially b/c it reminds me of the Rocky movies.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Yesterday did 15 miles in 2:08, the farthest I have ever run.
    I felt after 13 miles I had nothing left. I ate some GU at 7, finished all the water I had with at 9, I have no idea how you all run a Marathon!
    I have a few half marathons I have signed up for this year, goal is to do it in 1:45.

We should start a weekly mileage thread.

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

Lots of excellent running on here lately. [​IMG]

Did a quicker 3 miles trail today. Felt great.

10. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Was going to go for a long run today, but a night of drinking derailed that plan. Weather is supposed to be nice again tomorrow here in Oregon, so I am going to shoot for at least 12 to get a good start to the week.

11. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Its been weird and kinda eery at my trails this week. This poor girl disappeared after a run at another set of trails a few miles down the road and search teams have been scowering the area since. Its very similar to when Amber Dubois disappeared last year literally up the road from me, search teams where looking through the trails for weeks. I try and do my part by taking my runs to some of the more difficult to get to places, but it is a really weird feeling to run by a search party.

Edit: Fuck, they just arrested a sex offender in the case.

12. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

Yesterday did 15 miles in 2:08, the farthest I have ever run.
    I felt after 13 miles I had nothing left. I ate some GU at 7, finished all the water I had with at 9, I have no idea how you all run a Marathon!
    I have a few half marathons I have signed up for this year, goal is to do it in 1:45.

We should start a weekly mileage thread.

sounds like you arent far off that 1/2 goal pace at all. if you can run 15 @ 8:30 pace you can probably go under 1:45 for the 1/2 on race day.

And yes, thinking about a marathon always seems really daunting after a 14 or 15 mile run... i always think, how can i make myself do that (or how did i make myself do that, ive ran 1 marathon) for 11 more miles, and at faster pace, no less.

anyway, i ran 6.0 tonight in 39:15 (first mile in 6:55, last mile in 6:05, ran each mile faster than the previous)

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

A balmy 29 degrees, this morning. Fairly dry roads. Pretty moon. 6 miles. Ran hard and fast to try and forget yesterday's hockey game. Congratulations, Canada!!

14. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

I ran 18.1 miles on Saturday in about 2:20; then went home to upload the info to my nike+ account and my ipod (nano) shorted or something, and lost/ deleted the run. Of course it couldn't have been a 5k that I lost.

Has anyone else ever had this problem of losing runs with their Ipod?

15. quevola

quevola Senior member

Some inspiring runs in here lately!

Sunday morning: 17 miles in 2:25:36.

Freaking love my Garmin Forerunner - making me a more conscientious and efficient runner.

Mile 1 pace: 8:19
    Slowest mile (mile 10 - big hill): 9:20
    Fastest mile (Mile 14): 7:57
    Mile 17 pace: 8:04
    Avg. Pace: 8:34
    Calories burned: 1687