• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last run of the month was my baseline midweek easy run: 13.2km (8 1/4 miles).

It was a cool, wet, 6ºC, pretty much my favourite conditions and it felt super easy to run 1:04:59 (4:55/km or 7:55/mile). I was thinking about my form and cadence and all that sort of thing.

Someone who saw me out running the other day had said my running style looking 'very efficient' and I actually think they are right - over the last few months I think I have been running better, and this and paying attention to what might be happening with my body, is meaning that I don't feel as injury prone as I used to. Touch wood.

Anyway, it's been a good month and a good first quarter of the year.

March Summary:
252.7km (157 miles) - an increase of 14.9km (9 1/4 miles) on February; 665.5km (just over 414 miles) for the quarter.
# runs: 20 - up from 19 in February
Longest run: 21.6km (13 1/2 miles) - up from 18.3km (11 1/3 miles) in February.
Average distance / run: 12.6km (7 4/5 miles) - up very slightly on February
Average pace: 5:00/km (8:03/mile) - an improvement of 0:02/km on February - which was I really wasn't expecting.

I didn't hit all all my targets for distance in March because of taking it easier near the end of the month as I was worried about potential injury - but that's something I'm going to build into every monthly plan from now on. But my weight has also begun to drop faster again, down to about 65kg (143 1/4 lbs or so).

April Aims:
1. Monthly distance target: 275km
2. Increase my maximum long run distance to 24.4km (just over 15 miles)
3. Continue regular steady runs (no distance increase)
4. Tailor my distance intervals to half-marathon race preparation (3, 4 and 5km tempo distances instead of 1km)
5. Alternate my XC / hill repeat intervals with tempo runs
6. Run three 'races' (solo time trials) for my local club's virtual spring challenge - distances (target time): 5km (0:20:00); 10km (0:41:00); Half-Marathon (1:30:00)
7. Have a lighter week at the end of the month.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My March had 24 rides and two walks covering 395 miles and 13,295 ft. over 29h16m. I capped it off with a fantastic ride after work today which featured a dramatic range of temperatures starting at 78° and dropping to 51° in the headlands valley after the sun dipped below the ridge line. After a couple of days off, I was fresh and smashed nearly every one of my PRs on the Miwok-Bobcat loop. Felt incredible!

0CD75AA4-D21D-4B7C-9D59-4BCB5022E15E.jpeg
A72955E4-A4E2-4FB2-B9BE-FF8A9E8C6868.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.9 miles in the neighborhood last night. I can almost do all 5 loops in the light now which bodes well for the summer.

The only goal I can really update on is stretching and trying to touch my toes. With my feet together, I am still like 2-3 inches away from touching my toes then legs shoulder width apart, a little further away. I feel better stretching daily even though it has not translated into any other benefit I am aware of.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only goal I can really update on is stretching and trying to touch my toes. With my feet together, I am still like 2-3 inches away from touching my toes then legs shoulder width apart, a little further away. I feel better stretching daily even though it has not translated into any other benefit I am aware of.

I've also added seated lean forward trying to touch my toes to my daily routine. I think I'm further away from touching than you, 4" - 6", but there might be some progress.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only goal I can really update on is stretching and trying to touch my toes.

Now that's something I don't have a problem with - I do a series of stretches after runs, where I successively touch my toes, hold my toes, then touch the ground with my knuckles. I'd like to be able to put put my palms on the ground, which I used to be able to do back when I was doing kung-fu seriously, but I'm not quite as flexible these days.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3 miles this morning at a very slow 9:27/mile. After a nice streak of warmer weather we had about an inch of snow overnight and temps were in the 20 this morning with a windchill in the teens.

It was striking how much it affected me to have to dress back in my multiple layers and the heavier gortex Asics with the beefy tread (I was worried about icey spots but that turned out to be overkill). All of that definitely slowed me down. Plus I skipped out on a lot of my pre-run stretching and I'm sure that, combined with the colder temps, didn't help things either and as a result it took me more than a few miles to get loosened up.

Oh well. It still felt pretty good to be out there.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we had snow too, although it didn't stay. But there's a pretty cold north wind blowing today.

So of course I went out too. 14.2km (8 3/4 miles) steady run today. I couldn't quite keep the pace I wanted (probably the wind, which was against me a lot of the way back) and I didn't feel that great. But 4:42/km (7:34/mile) wasn't so bad in the end.

finewine

Reaction score
I have had my usual 5km run in the morning - since I am working in homeoffice I try to keep my endurance by going for a run 2-3 times a week. Then I usually do 5 or 6km. A few years ago I tried a marathon, what was really tough (I quit and just did the half marathon that day, because it has been extremly hot). I think long runs aren't my favourite... I prefer to stay inbetween 5-10kms :)

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40 minutes of "bike practice" yesterday afternoon. basically messing around in a parking lot trying to practice balance.

8 miles last night with a group of friends. 8:45 average pace as a majority of the run was directly into a 15-20mph wind, the only way i got through this is because i was running with other people. core was a bit tired from the bike stuff but felt good to get in what is now considered a long run for me.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in a 30min Peloton class last night and will try to get out on the path for a run this afternoon.

It is still hard to find some bikes for bikes but got my oldest a bike for his birthday. Went with a 16" BMX which still has training wheels as, I will take the blame, he still needs them. Is this overkill for a kid? Yes, but this is styfo

2021-Haro-Shredder-16-Black_2000x.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@jbarwick Some unsolicited advice from personal experience: remove the pedals and training wheels, lower the seat so that your kid’s feet can touch the ground comfortably, and let them use it as a scoot bike to develop the balance. Add the pedaling later on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads